Player Discussion Troy Terry

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
If he oozed with talent, he wouldnt be a 5th round pick. The scouts would have seen that on day 1. Something about him is not clicking
Regardless of the draft, it’s obvious that he has offensive ability, as he displayed in the AHL. The issue with him is and always has been strength and willingness to engage physically. His success will depend on his ability to remediate that.

Reactions: bsu and Trojans86

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If he oozed with talent, he wouldnt be a 5th round pick. The scouts would have seen that on day 1. Something about him is not clicking
Pavelski, Zetterberg, Lundgqist, Palat are all 7th round picks. Being picked after the first 2 rounds means that there are questions about SOME part of the prospect’s game. That absolutely does not mean that the skill level is the question.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California

Maybe, but he was a smaller kid playing on the US National Under 18 team his draft year. Overshadowed by Auston Matthews, Matt Tkachuk, Jack Roslovic, Jeremy Bracco, Christian Fischer, Jordan Greenway and Colin White.

Not saying he should have gone in the 1st round or anything, but he probably should have gone higher than 5th.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Gaudreau was a 4th rounder. If teams were picking on pure skill alone he would have gone top 5 in 2011. Terry isn’t the same kind of talent but it wasn’t lack of talent that caused him to drop in the draft.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

I really liked how emphasized he got some good advice from Millsy. Shows how important it is to have those good vets around. I'm very thankful Bob almost pushes it to have those good veterans around, it's something that doesn't show on paper, but helps to show the young guys the right way. It's like a good investment. I would be very happy if Millsy stays around in some capacity. Looks like not only Dostal could benefit from that.

He is a really good player. He still has things to figure out, I think how to maximize his efficiency and keep consistent. But when he's on, he's very exciting to watch.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Maybe, but he was a smaller kid playing on the US National Under 18 team his draft year. Overshadowed by Auston Matthews, Matt Tkachuk, Jack Roslovic, Jeremy Bracco, Christian Fischer, Jordan Greenway and Colin White.

Not saying he should have gone in the 1st round or anything, but he probably should have gone higher than 5th.

Not only this, he also played in a different role, due to his age and stature. Madden was gambling - based on an older interview - him being available in the 5th.

This draft was in general strange somehow. Nattinen in the late 2nd I can understand. Gates came of an injury and was a bet on his physical attributes. Sideroff I don't know.

Our draft lists are hard to get for me, after reading Maddens comments for instance. You're high on Terry but wait until the 5th without an 4th. Why not use one of the two 3rds on him?

Same was with Batherson. They watched him closely and liked him a lot but why not using pick 60 (Morand) or 91 (Badini) on him?

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Is he good?
Seems to be, he's been scoring at a decent pace in the KHL and every once in a while he completely wows everyone in the audience with nigh-on Datsyuk level vision. Time will tell if that ever translates over, but he's a guy to be intrigued by at the very least.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Ducks can afford to continue to be patient with him and in my opinion the patience is starting to pay off.

I feel him starting to believe in himself as a quality NHL player the more opportunities he creates out there

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not only this, he also played in a different role, due to his age and stature. Madden was gambling - based on an older interview - him being available in the 5th.

This draft was in general strange somehow. Nattinen in the late 2nd I can understand. Gates came of an injury and was a bet on his physical attributes. Sideroff I don't know.

Our draft lists are hard to get for me, after reading Maddens comments for instance. You're high on Terry but wait until the 5th without an 4th. Why not use one of the two 3rds on him?

Same was with Batherson. They watched him closely and liked him a lot but why not using pick 60 (Morand) or 91 (Badini) on him?

The org may be high on a prospect, but also have a feel where that prospect might be. For example, the Ducks were hot on Manson, very hot. They didn't own a 6th or a 7th round pick in 2011, but traded a 2012 6th round pick to nab Manson. The draft capital of a 6th round pick is far cheaper than two 3rd round picks. Similarly, the Ducks where hot on Krebs and almost had him at 18th overall for the 29th and 39th pick, if it were not for those darn Golden Knights! When a team says they're very interested in a player, that doesn't mean they're interested in him in the first round all the time. It means they're interested in him at a particular spot to where they have mocked the whole draft.

People forget that draft is still a gamble. We've had some success with players beyond the 1st round such as goalies Gibby and Dostal, defensemen Vatanen, Manson, Monty, Pettersson, and forwards Kase and Terry. We might have a couple of gems with LaCombe (2019 2nd) and Thrun (2019 4th). Thrun had late first round rankings, but he fell all the way to the fourth round. Many scouts didn't like his skating and some thought he was a byproduct of his teammates.

Talk about gambles, center Nattinen looked good for a season in his first season in the OHL and then dropped off a cliff in the second season. Natty bombed in the AHL. Then he went back across the pond and switched to wing. Apparently, he's found his scoring touch again and enjoys the game. The latter part affected him in his second OHL season onward. At 6'2 and 205 lbs, he really looked like a very good prospect.

With Terry, no one knew about his talent until he blew up as Mr. 5-hole. We see his skill at the AHL and NHL level, but only production occurs at the AHL level. Our problem is will Terry take the next step or will he become the next Peter Holland (produces at the AHL, but not the NHL). I'm glad Terry looks good for the past couple of games, but I want far more games on that high level of play to say Terry has arrived. We've seen spurts before and long periods of nothing. If Terry becomes this consistent producer on the ice (not necessarily score, but show he's competent in the corners, support, etc...), then we all win.

Oct 18, 2011
That video makes me worry he is a bit mentally fragile with his game but it does show you how organizations can screw up young players with coaches who turn them into grinders and "safe" players but you also can't have a culture of no accountability either

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The org may be high on a prospect, but also have a feel where that prospect might be. For example, the Ducks were hot on Manson, very hot. They didn't own a 6th or a 7th round pick in 2011, but traded a 2012 6th round pick to nab Manson. The draft capital of a 6th round pick is far cheaper than two 3rd round picks. Similarly, the Ducks where hot on Krebs and almost had him at 18th overall for the 29th and 39th pick, if it were not for those darn Golden Knights! When a team says they're very interested in a player, that doesn't mean they're interested in him in the first round all the time. It means they're interested in him at a particular spot to where they have mocked the whole draft.

People forget that draft is still a gamble. We've had some success with players beyond the 1st round such as goalies Gibby and Dostal, defensemen Vatanen, Manson, Monty, Pettersson, and forwards Kase and Terry. We might have a couple of gems with LaCombe (2019 2nd) and Thrun (2019 4th). Thrun had late first round rankings, but he fell all the way to the fourth round. Many scouts didn't like his skating and some thought he was a byproduct of his teammates.

Talk about gambles, center Nattinen looked good for a season in his first season in the OHL and then dropped off a cliff in the second season. Natty bombed in the AHL. Then he went back across the pond and switched to wing. Apparently, he's found his scoring touch again and enjoys the game. The latter part affected him in his second OHL season onward. At 6'2 and 205 lbs, he really looked like a very good prospect.

With Terry, no one knew about his talent until he blew up as Mr. 5-hole. We see his skill at the AHL and NHL level, but only production occurs at the AHL level. Our problem is will Terry take the next step or will he become the next Peter Holland (produces at the AHL, but not the NHL). I'm glad Terry looks good for the past couple of games, but I want far more games on that high level of play to say Terry has arrived. We've seen spurts before and long periods of nothing. If Terry becomes this consistent producer on the ice (not necessarily score, but show he's competent in the corners, support, etc...), then we all win.
The thing that always worried me about Holland is he struggled to stay above ppg in the AHL, in fact he never could quite get there in the end whereas Terry finished over ppg.

Terry is a much more creative player than Holland and the effort level/desire to be a good hockey player is night and day compared to Holland. Terry has his issues as well, but I think his feel for the game and desire to be good will put him over the top. Holland didn't have one game, at least with the Ducks, where he made the impact that Terry has made in the past few games.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Nice to see Troy breaking out !
Anaheim has had good luck with Troys in its sports town history:
2002 the Anaheim Angels had Troy Glaus and Troy Percival.
Glaus delivers the winning hit in game 6 and Percival slammed the door shut on the SF Giants as they won the 2002 WS.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The rest of this year is going to be huge for him. If we see the player from the past few games the rest of the way that will be huge for us. He’s a different player when he has confidence.

Reactions: JabbaJabba and Kalv

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Nice to see Troy breaking out !
Anaheim has had good luck with Troys in its sports town history:
2002 the Anaheim Angels had Troy Glaus and Troy Percival.
Glaus delivers the winning hit in game 6 and Percival slammed the door shut on the SF Giants as they won the 2002 WS.

Not particularly good luck, but wasn't the team's first captain named Troy?

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

I really liked how emphasized he got some good advice from Millsy. Shows how important it is to have those good vets around. I'm very thankful Bob almost pushes it to have those good veterans around, it's something that doesn't show on paper, but helps to show the young guys the right way. It's like a good investment. I would be very happy if Millsy stays around in some capacity. Looks like not only Dostal could benefit from that.

He is a really good player. He still has things to figure out, I think how to maximize his efficiency and keep consistent. But when he's on, he's very exciting to watch.

I appreciate how candid he actually is. That's rare and also shows he is a bright kid. The mental side of the game is really huge.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The beauty of having a lot of young and hungry prospects fighting for spots on a nightly basis. They are going to figure it out and the cream will rise to the top. Terry plays a beautifully creative game with high skill but also plays a more challenging style that involves more risk taking. With time and confidence he could really develop.

Reactions: Mr Rogers
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The beauty of having a lot of young and hungry prospects fighting for spots on a nightly basis. They are going to figure it out and the cream will rise to the top. Terry plays a beautifully creative game with high skill but also plays a more challenging style that involves more risk taking. With time and confidence he could really develop.
He's so dangerous now, which is honestly a pretty new development. Before you could see that he had skill but he had no real idea of how to do anything with it given his speed/strength limitations. Dude's dominating his shifts more often than not these days.

Oct 18, 2011
He's so dangerous now, which is honestly a pretty new development. Before you could see that he had skill but he had no real idea of how to do anything with it given his speed/strength limitations. Dude's dominating his shifts more often than not these days.
It's quite strange to watch. Is the game just slowing down for him or was he in his head? He finally looks like the guy that was great at every level except NHL..key is keeping this level and seemingly remaining confident

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's quite strange to watch. Is the game just slowing down for him or was he in his head? He finally looks like the guy that was great at every level except NHL..key is keeping this level and seemingly remaining confident

I think it’s confidence issues. Because every season he’s been in the league he’s had massive struggles for stretches and then turns it on, normally late in the year after he’s done a stint in the minors. Hopefully as he gets older the struggles are fewer and further between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad