Player Discussion Troy Terry

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Guy is going to be magic offensively. The hands and creativity are bordering on special I think

Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He so f***in smooth coming off a spin or pivot with the puck similar to Kase

Oct 18, 2011
Yeah that time in SD really helped hopefully we can send him back unless he's just so good that they can't

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I like the idea of doing short stints in the NHL to acclimate. Do a 5-10 game stint and send him back. He can definitely play in the NHL, he will just improve quicker in sd.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I really like the way he shoots the puck, especially his wrister. It looks so easy. Honestly everything he does looks easy. His pass to Grant was also a nice display of skill.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My favorite thing about him is how his hand/feet work together to send out all sorts of miss direction/communication... he will be a deadly player on the powerplay. He almost reminds me of getzlaf, very patient with the puck and casually manipulates it to open up passing/shooting lanes.

Ritchie Rakell comtois Terry jones kase sprong, we have some pretty good wingers to run 3 lines deep.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
My favorite thing about him is how his hand/feet work together to send out all sorts of miss direction/communication... he will be a deadly player on the powerplay. He almost reminds me of getzlaf, very patient with the puck and casually manipulates it to open up passing/shooting lanes.

Ritchie Rakell comtois Terry jones kase sprong, we have some pretty good wingers to run 3 lines deep.

None of them can play on a checking line doe...

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Agreed with his vision and creative potential. I'm excited for the player he may become.

That said, the thing I notice most about him in a negative aspect right now is the (obvious and understandable) aversion to physicality. Where someone like Kase or Rakell will often try to dance around people, when Terry is being pressured, he never seems to make that kind of attempt. Rather, he will typically get ridden into the boards, and he seems to get hit most there, where he's just sort of skated in a straight line and makes sure he's close to the boards to help absorb some of the impact.

Also, his skating style, I know he's extremely lanky and all, but he seems to skate almost upright.

Anyone else see that too?

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Agreed with his vision and creative potential. I'm excited for the player he may become.

That said, the thing I notice most about him in a negative aspect right now is the (obvious and understandable) aversion to physicality. Where someone like Kase or Rakell will often try to dance around people, when Terry is being pressured, he never seems to make that kind of attempt. Rather, he will typically get ridden into the boards, and he seems to get hit most there, where he's just sort of skated in a straight line and makes sure he's close to the boards to help absorb some of the impact.

Also, his skating style, I know he's extremely lanky and all, but he seems to skate almost upright.

He does skate more upright but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Many forwards skate like that and move just as well, Eichel being the most obvious.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR

I've noticed his constant misdirection as well. Reminds me more of how Perry does it though, in fact a lot of his game reminds me of Perry.

Reactions: KyleJRM

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
He does skate more upright but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Many forwards skate like that and move just as well, Eichel being the most obvious.
It was more just an observation than anything negative. A lot of times, I don't have to see the numbers or whatever and I can tell who it is by their skating or puck-handling style.

I can easily tell Fowler on the backend by his skating. Kariya is the most obvious...those legs of his had more quick-twitch strength than anyone.
I've noticed his constant misdirection as well. Reminds me more of how Perry does it though, in fact a lot of his game reminds me of Perry.
In terms of misdirection, the one that seems the most shifty to me is Rakell. I often think he's gonna go one way, but then he's gone the other.

Oct 18, 2011

Kase willingness to engage physically contributes to him getting hurt. Terry isn't ready for that yet

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Evolving and getting better and better each game, I wish we would put him with someone that can bury it. I don't know if it's ever been tried but his skillset and use of stick in both zones seems like he would be a good center.... but I am assuming they have tried it at some level and didn't work out for whatever reason.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Pretty sure he did play some centre in college. IIRC he was drafted as a centre.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I’d like to see Jones-Terry-Rakell. Probably terrible defensively but who cares at this point, I think they’d at least be entertaining offensively and maybe it will get Rakell going.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I'd like silf henrique Terry but if we did that every other line would suck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I want to see Jones/Turcotte or Hughes/Terry. That would be a line that can fly in terms of speed.
Cause of how undersized Hughes is, Jones would be his bodyguard lol.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Evolving each shift let's go

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
When you see him play and how he handles everything. I always thought he has 1st line potential but he looks like a future superstar once he gains more strength. Such a talented player.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
When you see him play and how he handles everything. I always thought he has 1st line potential but he looks like a future superstar once he gains more strength. Such a talented player.

I would pump the brakes a wee bit in terms of labelling him a superstar. I look around the league at who I would call superstars and can’t see Terry ever reaching the level of the likes of a Kane/Marner/Kucherov.

I think if he is able to hit the 60-75 point range we should be really happy. He’s got a very similar level of raw skills to Rakell, maybe a bit quicker and more of a pass first player and Ricky is only a 60-70 point player.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Just realized he didn't get a point on Shore's goal and he basically created the whole thing (the keep and flip at the blueline plus created the shot that caused a rebound), he would have had 4 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad