Player Discussion Troy Terry

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Anyone on here that watches the Gulls has to see he is learning nothing from being in AHL, he is stick handling in a phone booth and not even worried his head is up and creating things too easily. Grade A chances everytime him and Carrick are on the ice.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anyone on here that watches the Gulls has to see he is learning nothing from being in AHL, he is stick handling in a phone booth and not even worried his head is up and creating things too easily. Grade A chances everytime him and Carrick are on the ice.
While I agree, there are still lessons he can learn... and it some what keeps him on his toes hopefully... hes been much better the last dozen games or so.... but hopefully when he goes down to AHL he uses that as motivation to come up and be more productive to avoid being sent back down. I think early in the season to many rookies were given spots, and dint really have to battle/earn it because of lack of competition.... but after Terry got sent down last time he looked much better on his return to the roster. Sometimes you have to put that in the back of their head that the NHL spot isnt going to be given to them.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
While I agree, there are still lessons he can learn... and it some what keeps him on his toes hopefully... hes been much better the last dozen games or so.... but hopefully when he goes down to AHL he uses that as motivation to come up and be more productive to avoid being sent back down. I think early in the season to many rookies were given spots, and dint really have to battle/earn it because of lack of competition.... but after Terry got sent down last time he looked much better on his return to the roster. Sometimes you have to put that in the back of their head that the NHL spot isnt going to be given to them.
He lacks the hunger, he looks like a kid just thinking moving his stick swiftly around( eye candy ) is enough in the nhl. He isn’t confident in split decision making. He either learns the hunger part of the game, or he gets spronged off to another organization

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He lacks the hunger, he looks like a kid just thinking moving his stick swiftly around( eye candy ) is enough in the nhl. He isn’t confident in split decision making. He either learns the hunger part of the game, or he gets spronged off to another organization
Well over the last 12 or so games hes looked much better... I would argue hes been our most dangerous player on a night to night basis... but the points arnt coming for him

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I don't think he's in danger of getting Sprong'd or whatever. You don't really get the sense that the organization is disappointed in him so much as they think he's capable of a lot more.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think he's in danger of getting Sprong'd or whatever. You don't really get the sense that the organization is disappointed in him so much as they think he's capable of a lot more.
Exactly, they feel he’s more capable and lacking the drive ( imo) I think going down and playing with the gulls ( difference in attendance and arenas etc) is a good motivator for many youngsters ( hope it will be for him )

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
He will be fine. Talent is there, vision is there, hockey sense is also good, he may need to add some. We should be a lot more patient with young players. And honestly, his next contract will look good from the team perspective. Very good imho.

If he can add some muscle, improve his explosivness and work a little bit on his shot, he will be an excellent top 6 forward for years to come.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What is everyone's expectations for Terry this season? I honestly have no idea. I thought he'd be a 50 point player prior to last season, and I don't know how much to temper my expectations. I'm hoping he can at least show chemistry with our top 6 players, and hopefully be near or at .5 PPG.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He looked verged to break out his last stint here and was shooting the puck a tonne more than normal. I would say 50 points is realistic based on his last stint but I said that going into last season as well. Minimum I expect is 35 given the ice time he will get.

Reactions: Kalv and Ducks DVM

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
What is everyone's expectations for Terry this season? I honestly have no idea. I thought he'd be a 50 point player prior to last season, and I don't know how much to temper my expectations. I'm hoping he can at least show chemistry with our top 6 players, and hopefully be near or at .5 PPG.
There's a big difference between hope and expectation. Hope is what you'd like to see happen; expectation is what you are confident will happen. I still have hope that Terry can become a 50+ point player - I believe he has the skill to do it. But as far as expectations go, I have none, because I frankly have no idea what kind of player he will actually be this season. He tears up the AHL, and becomes nearly invisible on the big club. Management clearly has faith in him. as do I. But I do believe that this is the year he has to show it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Terry has been the definition of a player who listens to his coaches. They sent him down to work on his game, he refused to sulk and worked on his game. They said take more shots, he started taking a lot more shots. They said nobody on the team was driving the net, he was driving the net (as a spindly beanpole, but he was driving the net).

There were varying degrees of success at trying, but he was listening and trying what they said they wanted. Can’t complain too much about 5 points in his last 8 games, hopefully that will be a trend not a streak. Hopefully he listened and bulked up this offseason.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Considering where he was drafted, Terry turning into a 40 point player is very great. Also getting a 40 point center out of Steel (a late 1st) is decent, that is Bonino type numbers (Bonino has had several seasons where he scored at a 40 point pace and 1 season where he would have been over 50 if played all 82 games but ended up with 49 in 77 games).

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
If Terry has bulked up, then I think he'll be in for a good season. Skill isn't what I'm worried about when it comes to Terry, and that's not what will stop him from being a good NHL player.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
There's a big difference between hope and expectation. Hope is what you'd like to see happen; expectation is what you are confident will happen. I still have hope that Terry can become a 50+ point player - I believe he has the skill to do it. But as far as expectations go, I have none, because I frankly have no idea what kind of player he will actually be this season. He tears up the AHL, and becomes nearly invisible on the big club. Management clearly has faith in him. as do I. But I do believe that this is the year he has to show it.
I agree except for that invisibility. I'd argue he was very visible but always lacking some extra step or extra mph on his shot. He ended up unproductive on the scoresheet but he was very often a treat to watch.
40p pace (82 game season)is my expectation this year

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry has been the definition of a player who listens to his coaches. They sent him down to work on his game, he refused to sulk and worked on his game. They said take more shots, he started taking a lot more shots. They said nobody on the team was driving the net, he was driving the net (as a spindly beanpole, but he was driving the net).

There were varying degrees of success at trying, but he was listening and trying what they said they wanted. Can’t complain too much about 5 points in his last 8 games, hopefully that will be a trend not a streak. Hopefully he listened and bulked up this offseason.
100%

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Its because the game is too fast for him still. If that light bulb pops, he will be good. But thats only if that light bulb goes on.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018

There were never any questions about his heart or effort. Its his lack of talent.

Hes like naruto vs sasuke. He will get there based on hard work, but it wont come easy like dcdavid

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There were never any questions about his heart or effort. Its his lack of talent.

Hes like naruto vs sasuke. He will get there based on hard work, but it wont come easy like dcdavid
I actually dont question Terrys talent at all... he has a ton of talent.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->