Player Discussion Troy Terry

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
With his size and strength issue let's see what happens when he gets roughed up hopefully whoever the next coach is realizes he needs to have some linemates with size playing next to him. Henrique and Ritchie preferably
Basically the same with Kase
Basically the same way as Kase when he plays

Don't see it that way. Kase is more or less like a bullet doing the heavy forecheck. Troy is more of a playmaker who benefits from the forecheck. Troy is much more of an opportunistic player in a good way.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I love watching that moment when things click at the NHL level for a good prospect. It was fun to see with guys like Rakell, Kase, Gibson, etc., and it's fun to watch again with Terry.
That journey is why I come here and not a general hockey board.

I think we might see this next year with Jones. I feel like his offensive game is on the cusp of emergence.

Surfandhockey

May 20, 2017
Does anyone else feel like he wont be that good of a producer in the NHL or is it just me?
Have a feeling . Handles so well and is so crafty , just makes some bad decisions which I hope is only because he is a rookie. Needs to work on his shot and be smarter on the power play .

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Well he does have a Brandon Wood vibe to him. Not every highly touted prospect pans out.
Remember when the Coyotes had Dvorak, Duclair & Strome as prospects. Duclair is starting to look like a bust.

Last edited:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Well he does have a Brandon Wood vibe to him. Not every highly touted prospect pans out.
Remember when the Coyotes had Dvorak, Duclair & Strome as prospects. Duclair is starting to look like a bust.

I don't see how these are comparables. Dvorak was rushed out of juniors, but still has put up two 15 goal seasons on bad NHL teams and battled injuries last season. Duclair was also rushed to the NHL, and has been on 5 teams in 5 years which says something about him. Strome had 51 points in 58 games as a 21 year old, not sure what you're expecting. None of them took the career path or rise that Terry has shown.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
He is a pass first winger. Really wish he thought shot first, especially on the PP. Think his skill set would fit better at center. His mindset reminds me of Getzlaf, but he lacks the physical presence to impose his will. Looks good with the puck on his stick, but is pretty invisible when it isn't.

Reactions: Exit Dose

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Terry needs to bulk up. It seems like he hasn't added any muscle at all since last season......which is far more disappointing than his own ice play, as his strength is by far the weakest part of his game.

I'm not worried about him not being a producer, you can see the talent is there IMO. Honestly feel once he's stronger he'll really break out.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Terry needs to bulk up. It seems like he hasn't added any muscle at all since last season......which is far more disappointing than his own ice play, as his strength is by far the weakest part of his game.

I'm not worried about him not being a producer, you can see the talent is there IMO. Honestly feel once he's stronger he'll really break out.
Yup. I remember it was the same for Rakell - he showed flashes of some really awesome plays but was very limited by his lack of strenght. He worked on it - took at least 2 years to do it though, and he started to break out.

I am willing to be very patient with Troy, and I think he needs to be sent down - just for confidence and some bulking, albeit it`s not very doable in a pro season. Just let him take his time.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Undersized players like Terry need to at least try to go the dirty areas he is intimidated easily. His spinaramas and passes are good but far in the perimeter if that keeps going he will never be a point producer. Steel is similarly sized but you can tell he is not intimidated out there and has much more confidence. Terry needs to be sent down

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Undersized players like Terry need to at least try to go the dirty areas he is intimidated easily. His spinaramas and passes are good but far in the perimeter if that keeps going he will never be a point producer. Steel is similarly sized but you can tell he is not intimidated out there and has much more confidence. Terry needs to be sent down
I agree... terry shown some perimeter skill but he lacks a willingness to go to dirty areas... he also clearly not a confident player right now.... i dont like him playin with steel either ... steel needs a goal scorer that will go to the net and score dirty goals, that isnt terry.

This team doesnt have enough skill up front to play a perimeter game... we need to muck it up and score dirty goals for now.

Reactions: Dirk316
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Does anyone else feel like he wont be that good of a producer in the NHL or is it just me?

I've always noticed it for some time now. The skill is there, but it doesn't seem like it is transitioning well from the A to now. He seems very scared and timid to even get near the side boards and play physical.

Exactly. Even Vatanen, who was small would not be intimidated out there.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Terry just isn’t strong enough to put up big numbers yet. I don’t think it’s a skill or IQ thing at all. He’s a smart player who isn’t nearly strong enough yet and even when he tries to go the net he’s easily moved off the puck

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’d like to see him sit a game and watch, then be played on Henrique’s wing for a game or 2, then sent down if he’s still lost on the ice.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Terry needs to eat more steak, protein shakes and lift weights. Still looks like he's in highschool.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
My issue is he always seems like he is trying to "Shake and Bake" only to have every pass he makes be tipped. It seems like he can't carry the puck or pass it without the opposition touching it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad