Rumor: Trouba was an Avs Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don't think the Avs will trade Jost anytime soon but if the ask for Trouba is Jost then you walk Jost to the ****ing airport if you have to and do it.

But then again, I am biased towards favoring defense men in trades.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
No one said stupid...it's natural. You have a vest interest in the avs guys. This is what a fan does. I'm guilty of this too... sometimes. Right now Jost's stock is high and Trouba's low. That's all I'm saying. 2/3 years from now it may not be this high.

I think you are more emotionally attached to Trouba than most posters here are to Jost.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
No one said stupid...it's natural. You have a vest interest in the avs guys. This is what a fan does. I'm guilty of this too... sometimes. Right now Jost's stock is high and Trouba's low. That's all I'm saying. 2/3 years from now it may not be this high.

So, at worst a #2 defender. That's a beast defensively or a 2nd line maybe first line forward....the answer should be an easy one.

If you also look at it from the perspective that Trouba will at some point be our best defender by a considerable margin and Jost will never be our best forward. Probably not even the 4th best forward.

Where are you getting these evaluations from?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There is nothing that says Trouba is guaranteed to become more than he is now either. There are a ton of defencemen who had the most success at an early age, people thought they were going to be studs, and they never really grew.

Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Schenn, Myers, Bogosian, Jack Johnson, EJ to an extent, Kulikov, etc.

I don't think we can say, "at worst a #2."

All that said, if the Avs did get Trouba, he'd probably be my favourite player (unless Zadorov lives up to his potential).

Dame fine defender, who would be our best defender since Blake. Brain damage, always looked crappy defensively. High offensive defender nothing like Trouba. Terrible skater, overrate due to team that drafted so high. 6"7 plays like he's 5"6. Solid defender, nothing special, doesn't have Trouba's physical attributes. Brain damage 2.0. Good comparison but most here would agree that he'll end up better. Kulikov never looked as good as Trouba and again doesn't have his physical attributes. Already better.

Most of the players you mentioned have fundamental holes in their games, that Trouba doesn't.

I think you are more emotionally attached to Trouba than most posters here are to Jost.

Switch Trouba with Lindholm/Risto and my answer remains the same.

Where are you getting these evaluations from?

I'm going off Bendy's prediction.

His dreams about what Trouba could become.

That's you with Zads.:P

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Even if Avs had some mild interest in Andrighetto, there is a logjam here. Hard to see him making an impact on Avs third or fourth line and there aren't any spots higher up for him.

Bourque/Bourque/Smith are the cheap depth for this year.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ghetto is on the cheap too. I guess I just liked the idea of him being a depth guy that could play up in a pinch over say Martinsen or Smith.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Anybody get NHL.tv and like what they've seen so far? I've seen mixed reviews, but those with issues seem to be in the minority, and maybe just small kinks that need to be worked out.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Anybody get NHL.tv and like what they've seen so far? I've seen mixed reviews, but those with issues seem to be in the minority, and maybe just small kinks that need to be worked out.

Meh its ok i guess, ive had technical problems but i think its more on my end.
The blackout thing is effing wack. And being in the NY area its even worse. Like two of the 3 games last night I couldnt watch. Like how is PHI and LA blacked out?
Anyways, I had to cave in for it though. I cant do the pirate shuffle anymore. I

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm gonna say this once: We do not have the cap flexibility to trade for Trouba, unless we trade EJ which won't happen because the Jets won't do that.

This season? Yes. Next season? Absolutely not, with Iginla, Malkin, Stuart, and Tyutin's contracts all finishing next season, Avs will have 12.7 million in free money to sign Trouba, Grigorenko, and Zadorov to deals. Each contract would be averaging 4.3 million for a player and I think we can all agree that at least one or two of those won't be worth 4.3 million yet. You also have to anticipate that the cap can also go up next season a couple million next year as well. Avs will have the flexibility to make a move for Trouba during the offseason. Or if Trouba is willing to sign around 1 million dollars. I think one player we can potentially get off of our cap in a trade is Comeau. If we do get Trouba, it might be Jost+Comeau for Trouba and the addition of Rantanen for the Avs if shows us he's able to replace Blake.

I don't know if I am willing to move Jost yet, but getting a player like Trouba back is definitely a deal I would consider.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
hate it. lagging so much that i've found other ways to catch the games.

I was thinking of buying it now that I can (as I live in Poland now), but $150 is still quite a lot.

Your experience does not really fill me with confidence. Gonna have to see the first few games to see how things develop.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
hate it. lagging so much that i've found other ways to catch the games.

Yea, I've been hearing that. Is that your major concern? Personally I kinda like watching the games 20-30 minutes after they start anyway. That allows me to fast forward through commercial breaks. I can see why the lag would be annoying though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This season? Yes. Next season? Absolutely not, with Iginla, Malkin, Stuart, and Tyutin's contracts all finishing next season, Avs will have 12.7 million in free money to sign Trouba, Grigorenko, and Zadorov to deals. Each contract would be averaging 4.3 million for a player and I think we can all agree that at least one or two of those won't be worth 4.3 million yet. You also have to anticipate that the cap can also go up next season a couple million next year as well. Avs will have the flexibility to make a move for Trouba during the offseason. Or if Trouba is willing to sign around 1 million dollars. I think one player we can potentially get off of our cap in a trade is Comeau. If we do get Trouba, it might be Jost+Comeau for Trouba and the addition of Rantanen for the Avs if shows us he's able to replace Blake.

I don't know if I am willing to move Jost yet, but getting a player like Trouba back is definitely a deal I would consider.

Even in the very, very (VERY) unlikely event that Trouba would be moved for Jost and Comeau, I see 2 other issues here:

1- Why would Trouba accept to play for 1M this year? To accomodate us? That's unrealistic at best. He doesn't owe us anything nor did he express that he wants to play here and take a discount.

2- Trouba wants to leave because there's no room for him on the right side in WPG. We already have EJ and Barrie on the right side. What's the solution?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yea, I've been hearing that. Is that your major concern? Personally I kinda like watching the games 20-30 minutes after they start anyway. That allows me to fast forward through commercial breaks. I can see why the lag would be annoying though.

Even with all the issues i do love the idea that i can catch the game later or pause it to go to the bathroom. thats cool. And ..ideally being able to watch a ton of games.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

even fast forwarding takes time to load. like way too much. i even preferred to not just fast forward the commercial breaks. it was so bad. i assume it will get better than that, but for the product i've so far received, i wouldn't pay more than 5 bucks.

my computer isn't very good but i've had no issues with other methods or any othe stuff that i do. and it worked just fine with the old gamecenter.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even in the very, very (VERY) unlikely event that Trouba would be moved for Jost and Comeau, I see 2 other issues here:

1- Why would Trouba accept to play for 1M this year? To accomodate us? That's unrealistic at best. He doesn't owe us anything nor did he express that he wants to play here and take a discount.

2- Trouba wants to leave because there's no room for him on the right side in WPG. We already have EJ and Barrie on the right side. What's the solution?
First, it really depends on how you see the situation and value the players at hand. As I mentioned in my previous post about Trouba, he will NOT go for what the Jets are asking. Him demanding a trade, but not even wanting to dress up for them plays in the court of the other GMs. This is not a Hamonic example where he asked for a trade, but still played. This is a Jonathan Drouin 2.0, but even worse since Trouba's main reasoning is he doesn't want to play in Canada and wants to play his position. Secondly, I mentioned that Bigras for Trouba is more than fair, but Jost+ for Jacob might be more realistic since, again, Jets won't get what they want. Honestly, think about ii, if Trouba was going to go for what Cheveldayoff demands, don't you think it would have already happened? Contract extensions take time, but trades normally come together very fast.

1. Avs currently have a cap space of 1.2 million dollars. Trading away Comeau and 2.4 million will bring the available amount to 3.6 million (FYI I did not look at Jets cap situation). He's coming off his ELC where he was payed 895K with bonuses to increase it to 1.8 million. He is also coming off a season where he did not noticeably improve. You're thinking that just because he's asking for 6 to 7 million from the Jets is what he wants from the Avs. That isn't the case, he's asking 6 million from the Jets is because he doesn't want to play either in Winnipeg or Canada. If Avs do acquire his rights, he will probably be signed to a bridge deal. A bridge deal which I guarantee will not exceed 3.6 million AAV. IMO.

2. That's more of Bednar's concern than actually ours. In the end he will probably make it work since he will just give him priority as RD. Shifting Barrie or EJ Johnson to the left, I doubt their production would fall of a cliff just switching to the other side IMO. My opinion is hat this is the least of my concerns. GOOD right handed defenders seem to be extremely rare these days and Trouba can be the last piece they need.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd be pretty hesitant to move Jost not because I have a problem with Trouba for Jost+ but because we lack high-end prospects in the pipeline outside of Rantanen who's pretty much graduated now.

If this year goes belly-up badly (I don't think it will) then having Jost gives a foundation for a quick rebuild without having to do it from scratch meaning that we'd have Jost + MacKinnon + Rantanen as core pieces in addition to a high drafted dman if we finish the year badly. The Landeskog/Duchene/Barrie/EJ group would then have to be evaluated if they all fit into the team's future.

I think a team that's really buying in right now should move for Trouba and too many uncertainties here with a new coach and questions about whether certain players can bounce back or take a step forward. With Toronto, it makes sense for them to acquire him just because they've gone in with the current group of young players and have confidence in their coach and new crop of guys.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
First, it really depends on how you see the situation and value the players at hand. As I mentioned in my previous post about Trouba, he will NOT go for what the Jets are asking. Him demanding a trade, but not even wanting to dress up for them plays in the court of the other GMs. This is not a Hamonic example where he asked for a trade, but still played. This is a Jonathan Drouin 2.0, but even worse since Trouba's main reasoning is he doesn't want to play in Canada and wants to play his position. Secondly, I mentioned that Bigras for Trouba is more than fair, but Jost+ for Jacob might be more realistic since, again, Jets won't get what they want. Honestly, think about ii, if Trouba was going to go for what Cheveldayoff demands, don't you think it would have already happened? Contract extensions take time, but trades normally come together very fast.

1. Avs currently have a cap space of 1.2 million dollars. Trading away Comeau and 2.4 million will bring the available amount to 3.6 million (FYI I did not look at Jets cap situation). He's coming off his ELC where he was payed 895K with bonuses to increase it to 1.8 million. He is also coming off a season where he did not noticeably improve. You're thinking that just because he's asking for 6 to 7 million from the Jets is what he wants from the Avs. That isn't the case, he's asking 6 million from the Jets is because he doesn't want to play either in Winnipeg or Canada. If Avs do acquire his rights, he will probably be signed to a bridge deal. A bridge deal which I guarantee will not exceed 3.6 million AAV. IMO.

2. That's more of Bednar's concern than actually ours. In the end he will probably make it work since he will just give him priority as RD. Shifting Barrie or EJ Johnson to the left, I doubt their production would fall of a cliff just switching to the other side IMO. My opinion is hat this is the least of my concerns. GOOD right handed defenders seem to be extremely rare these days and Trouba can be the last piece they need.

Our defense would be so set for the future if we got Trouba without losing Bigras, or a current core forward, it's just hard to imagine.

I also think we'd figure it out when it comes to the salary, and the trade wouldn't happen unless Trouba was willing to take a bridge deal for at least a year. We'd know that prior to anything happening.

Honestly I think Chevy is too much of a hard ass though, and will drag this out, unless he gets exactly what he wants. Much like Stevie Y. held firm with Drouin. So I don't expect to get Trouba for Jost or Bigras.

A future top pair of Z & Trouba is drool worthy though.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

So, at worst a #2 defender. That's a beast defensively or a 2nd line maybe first line forward....the answer should be an easy one.

If you also look at it from the perspective that Trouba will at some point be our best defender by a considerable margin and Jost will never be our best forward. Probably not even the 4th best forward.

I don't think Trouba's stock is low...in fact, I think it's INSANELY high right now for guy that's never put up 30 points in a season yet. He's a good young, top-4 d-man with room to improve but some people are speculating like he's a slam dunk, future franchise d-man. I don't think he becomes that. When you factor in the contract issues, it's hard to gauge where his value is truly at. Would he accept a long-term deal like Seth Jones and Ristolainen? If not, that's a tough one.

As for you 2nd point, that's the worst argument one can make, imo. Since Letang is the Penguins best defender does that mean he has more value that Malkin, the team's 2nd best forward??? It's a bad argument...for obvious reasons.

I'm going off Bendy's prediction.

Which predictions would those be?

Trouba - I ranked him 5th overall in 2012 and compared him to Erik Johnson.

Jost - I ranked him 4th overall in 2016 and compared him to Ryan O'Reilly.

So the question then becomes, would you trade Ryan O'Reilly before he played a single NHL game for 22 year old Erik Johnson even knowing what you know right now?? (not considering ROR's contract issues)

For me the answer is no because we've already got a player like Trouba in EJ. I love EJ and I'd love another guy just like him but not at the expense of what Jost is going to bring to our club. The type of 2-way play that Jost will bring is something that we will need to take the next step, imo.

Now, if you want to bring in Trouba while giving up a guy like Barrie so that Trouba slides into that #3 d-man spot on the right side and maybe takes over for EJ on the top line in 3-4 years, then that's another way to look at things. If you believe that the combination of a top-4 consisting of EJ, Beauchemin, Zadorov and Trouba could handle the offensive load, then I think that's to be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad