Rumor: Trouba was an Avs Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Lol, we would trade Jost for Trouba every day of the week and I'm not even a Trouba fan. Come on now guys.

Anyways, any deal requires 'Peg taking back salary and that probably doesn't fly. No fit.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Since we traded Barrie to Edmonton, I guess we have a hole on the right side Trouba could fill.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Trouba would fit in so well age wise with our core. And is already a top 4 defenseman.

Would Iginla, Jost, (+?) for Trouba + Burmistrov? or something small?

Or do the Avs try and move Varlamov to another team to free up space? Maybe EJ does go somewhere else to free up that room? Trouba couldn't replace him now, but in a few years I am sure he could.

There are really only a few ways to free up salary.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Trouba would fit in so well age wise with our core. And is already a top 4 defenseman.

Would Iginla, Jost, (+?) for Trouba + Burmistrov? or something small?

Or do the Avs try and move Varlamov to another team to free up space? Maybe EJ does go somewhere else to free up that room? Trouba couldn't replace him now, but in a few years I am sure he could.

There are really only a few ways to free up salary.

They want a LHD so send them Beauchemin. Would need another minor move as well depending on how much Trouba would sign for.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Iggy aint waiving for Peg, probably not waiving for anyone until the deadline for a kick at the cup honestly.

This is why the Avs buying out Stuart outright was stupid. I know Sakic was probably trying to do the right thing, giving Stuart an outside shot at getting a PTO somewhere... AND looking to save some cash, but if the Avs intended to make a deal for a player at some point, they really could have used Stuart's cap hit to go the other way.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not sure how desperate we are but we keep getting mentioned as a team with significant interest. It doesn't seem like the usual "their D is bad so they must be interested in any half decent D" stuff either. For some reason we stay connected to Trouba. His agent is based in Denver so maybe something coming from there? That doesn't really make sense either but I don't know.

I don't want to trade Jost either but I don't think that would be considered selling low.

It Would be the definition of selling high and buying low. If that's all it would take you pull the trigger 10/10. Regardless, of your emotional attachment to a player who has yet to even wear the avs jersey on ice.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Iggy aint waiving for Peg, probably not waiving for anyone until the deadline for a kick at the cup honestly.

This is why the Avs buying out Stuart outright was stupid. I know Sakic was probably trying to do the right thing, giving Stuart an outside shot at getting a PTO somewhere... AND looking to save some cash, but if the Avs intended to make a deal for a player at some point, they really could have used Stuart's cap hit to go the other way.

Nah, they wanted to rid themselves of an untradeable problem. He was going to be a healthy scratch and he wasn't going to be happy about it. It had nothing to do with helping Stuart out and everything to do with getting rid of a mistake.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I wish the Avs had the cap space, would love to add Fowler

Send Mitchell and Gelinas the other way (or out in other deals) and the Avs can get close. Offset Mitchell's 1.8 with an 800k player, freeing 1 million, and then take Gelinas 1.58 right off the cap as a direct replacement, add that to the 1.8ish the Avs have free, and you are almost there.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Nah, they wanted to rid themselves of an untradeable problem. He was going to be a healthy scratch and he wasn't going to be happy about it. It had nothing to do with helping Stuart out and everything to do with getting rid of a mistake.

Eh, maybe...

but as Toronto has show, players can get put out to pasture...or at the very least sent to the AHL and forgotten. I really think Sakic has a sense of honor when it comes to stuff like this and prefers to do right, even if it also solved a problem for the Avs.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs saved a $1.2M buying out Stuarts contract. We don't if Stuart would have agreed to LTIR or if his problems were serious enough to start with.

Besides, Avs got rid of a visual reminder of a big mistake they made.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
It Would be the definition of selling high and buying low. If that's all it would take you pull the trigger 10/10. Regardless, of your emotional attachment to a player who has yet to even wear the avs jersey on ice.

^ This.

At the very worst, Trouba is a SOLID #3 defender for the next 10 years. Being realistic, Jost will probably develop into a 2nd/3rd line tweener player at best.....

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The only realistic trade for Trouba is a Trouba/EJ swap and that would look quite bad on Avs, trading EJ Johnson just as his extension kicked in.

Nothing else works with the cap and Iginla/Beauchemin wouldn't waive for Winnipeg this year. Why would they? Little is out for a long time and it's doubtful Jets will make more noise than Avs will.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Doesn't EJ have a NTC too? Winnipeg is pretty close to Minnesota but if I had to guess I'd say they're probably not on his list of teams he'd go to.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd trade Jost for Trouba if Iginla is also part of the deal to make it work cap wise. No way aight agrees to that though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
EJ has a limited NTC, but I don't know if it's for all years or how many teams he can be traded to.

Söderberg on the other hand has a full NTC. Smart move, Carl.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Don't even make it out to be stupid fan attachment to push your angle, it's common sense. Unless you want to argue that Jost is likely to decrease his stock over the course of this season.

It's not like this is the hypothetical one for one trade is even possible or on the table.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Lol, we would trade Jost for Trouba every day of the week and I'm not even a Trouba fan. Come on now guys.

Anyways, any deal requires 'Peg taking back salary and that probably doesn't fly. No fit.

I disagree. Just because Trouba is established and Jost is still too young to be, it doesn't mean the Avs would entertain such a move.

I remember during the lockout, when ROR signed in the KHL, I suggested we could trade him to Winnipeg for Little + Trouba (who at that time, had just been selected 9th overall the summer before) and no one suggested that was crazy...in fact, some questioned if that was a good enough return.

People need to start to pump the brakes on the Trouba hype though, the songs the indians sing about his awesomeness in the mountains are starting to reach Jeff Finger proportions. :laugh:

I'll admit, I'm a big fan of Trouba's and always have been. I think he can be an excellent top-4, (probably top pairing) 2-way d-man but I don't think this guy is a franchise d-man like some to seem to think he is. At the time of his draft, I compared him to Erik Johnson and I think that's a pretty good comparable. He's not going to quarterback your PP...he's more of a 2nd unit guy on the PP and he'll show in time to be able to play big minutes and play a shut-down role. Sound familiar?

^ This.

At the very worst, Trouba is a SOLID #3 defender for the next 10 years. Being realistic, Jost will probably develop into a 2nd/3rd line tweener player at best.....

Prepare to be surprised. He may end up as 2nd line center because MacKinnon is #1 but Jost is going to make a lot of people forget about ROR.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

You are underrating Jost.

I disagree. Just because Trouba is established and Jost is still too young to be, it doesn't mean the Avs would entertain such a move.

I remember during the lockout, when ROR signed in the KHL, I suggested we could trade him to Winnipeg for Little + Trouba (who at that time, had just been selected 9th overall the summer before) and no one suggested that was crazy...in fact, some questioned if that was a good enough return.

People need to start to pump the brakes on the Trouba hype though, the songs the indians sing about his awesomeness in the mountains are starting to reach Jeff Finger proportions. :laugh:

I'll admit, I'm a big fan of Trouba's and always have been. I think he can be an excellent top-4, (probably top pairing) 2-way d-man but I don't think this guy is a franchise d-man like some to seem to think he is. At the time of his draft, I compared him to Erik Johnson and I think that's a pretty good comparable. He's not going to quarterback your PP...he's more of a 2nd unit guy on the PP and he'll show in time to be able to play big minutes and play a shut-down role. Sound familiar?

Prepare to be surprised. He may end up as 2nd line center because MacKinnon is #1 but Jost is going to make a lot of people forget about ROR.

Agree on pretty much all points Bender.

Here's how I see it. Trouba is a great defenseman, but isn't going to be an elite #1 guy - he will be a middle of the road guy like EJ at the end of the day, like Bender suggested. The offensive creativity/instincts just aren't there on a consistent basis. Is/will he be a great player? Sure. But with EJ and Barrie on the right side for us he would be more of a luxury at this point. Lindholm is the guy we should target, if anybody.

There are few prospects in the league I am more confident in their development than Tyson Jost. By all accounts he is going to be a Toews-lite and will be an extremely important player when this team is contending. We have a way bigger need for him than Trouba right now and in the forseeable future, espeically when considering contracts.

I am all for getting Trouba, but not if it's going to cost us Jost. Hell, I'd probably trade Rantanen before him.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
At this point, the Avs would probably have to sell low on EJ. What would be the point in selling low on him, just to trade their best prospect for a defenceman who is not even a guaranteed upgrade?

In the short term, that would seem like the Avs just gave Jost away. Avs need good forward depth just as much as they need defensive help.

I doubt many would be willing to move Rantanen now for Trouba, but two summers ago, of course we would all trade that pick for Trouba. I'd rather wait a year to see what the Avs really have in Jost before trading him for a defenceman that is a luxury at this point.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
EJ has a limited NTC, but I don't know if it's for all years or how many teams he can be traded to.

Söderberg on the other hand has a full NTC. Smart move, Carl.

According to both capfriendly and generalfanger, he can list 19 teams he will accept a trade to. I'd put down good money Winnipeg is on the 10 teams he won't accept a trade to.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Don't even make it out to be stupid fan attachment to push your angle, it's common sense. Unless you want to argue that Jost is likely to decrease his stock over the course of this season.

It's not like this is the hypothetical one for one trade is even possible or on the table.

No one said stupid...it's natural. You have a vest interest in the avs guys. This is what a fan does. I'm guilty of this too... sometimes. Right now Jost's stock is high and Trouba's low. That's all I'm saying. 2/3 years from now it may not be this high.

So, at worst a #2 defender. That's a beast defensively or a 2nd line maybe first line forward....the answer should be an easy one.

If you also look at it from the perspective that Trouba will at some point be our best defender by a considerable margin and Jost will never be our best forward. Probably not even the 4th best forward.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
There is nothing that says Trouba is guaranteed to become more than he is now either. There are a ton of defencemen who had the most success at an early age, people thought they were going to be studs, and they never really grew.

Bouwmeester, Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Schenn, Myers, Bogosian, Jack Johnson, EJ to an extent, Kulikov, etc.

I don't think we can say, "at worst a #2."

All that said, if the Avs did get Trouba, he'd probably be my favourite player (unless Zadorov lives up to his potential).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad