Rumor: Trouba was an Avs Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
The funny part is that Sakic bought out Stuart and spend another 2M to sign his clone, effectively using 5.6M on a third pair dman.

Why not just keep Stuart around? It would be cheaper and we could eventually, with some luck, move him to the LTIR and free some cap space.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I disagree with that. I think it's important to have young defenseman play big minutes which more often than not is in the AHL. Having a guy like Tyutin play those limited 3rd pairing minutes while being a mentor and a teacher for some of the younger guys around the team is much better for the team and development than having a kid fill it internally just because he can.

If the Avs were a team that was ready to win now I'd be fine with them playing a guy like Bigras limited minutes on the 3rd pairing. In that scenario they need to ice the best team possible. But if the team is going to suck and develop all year it makes sense to sign some UFA stopgaps in PW and Tyutin to play those roles so Bigras isn't relied on to play limited minutes.

I'd say the opposite, if you aren't going to win now then play the kids. If they didn't have Beauch and a truckload of veteran leadership already then maybe but considering they now already have their token guy for that I don't agree.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The funny part is that Sakic bought out Stuart and spend another 2M to sign his clone, effectively using 5.6M on a third pair dman.

Why not just keep Stuart around? It would be cheaper and we could eventually, with some luck, move him to the LTIR and free some cap space.

Stuart and the org had a falling out. Otherwise I agree that I would have slow played him to LTIR but they just wanted to be rid of him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd say the opposite, if you aren't going to win now then play the kids. If they didn't have Beauch and a truckload of veteran leadership already then maybe but considering they now already have their token guy for that I don't agree.

If the kids are good enough I agree with you. But a guy like Bigras isn't good enough to get more than 4-6 minutes with the Avs. Playing a kid above his head isn't a way to let him develop. Especially when strength and his offensive game are the things he needs to work on most.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Avs have the players to play the way Bednar wants to play (puck pressure, overloading, quick on pucks) and we can't replace enough players in-season to get the type of players he would need. So he's going to have to adjust to the hand he's dealt.

But Sakic needs to send a signal to the team that this level of effort is unacceptable and that means a trade. Ideally it would be Comeau or Iginla. Perhaps a team like Montreal wants Söderberg or Beachemin.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think everything related to the Brad Stuart Avs project is by far the worst work our management has produced. From the trade, to the signing to the buyout.

I dislike Brad Stuart more than any Avs player ever. More than May.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Both were crap. The system was horrible, but the roster is just a bunch of misfit parts. We are now the island of misfit toys, not the Jackets.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind losing anyone from the roster apart from the guys like Rantanen, Pickard and Zadorov. Landeskog and Nate are close to them, but others can go quite easily.

This is my feeling, too.

The team as currently put in place will not contend to win. Sure, we may get lucky some seasons and have insane goaltending lead us to challenging for a wild card spot, but it's hopeless.

I don't, however, envision Sakic making drastic changes. I think Iginla rides off into the sunset here, ditto Beauchemin and Soderberg.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think everything related to the Brad Stuart Avs project is by far the worst work our management has produced. From the trade, to the signing to the buyout.

I dislike Brad Stuart more than any Avs player ever. More than May.

I have an utter disdain for Greg Zanon and his suckage more than Brad Stuart

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If the kids are good enough I agree with you. But a guy like Bigras isn't good enough to get more than 4-6 minutes with the Avs. Playing a kid above his head isn't a way to let him develop. Especially when strength and his offensive game are the things he needs to work on most.

That's not true, he generally did fine with more minutes than that last year. Not so say he doesn't have things to work on but if he was good enough to play for the going for it avalanche he can play this year.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I feel like we're kinda stuck with what we've got in Beauch, Comeau, Colborne, etc for this year, but I think there needs to be a major shake up. Not this shuffling of borderline NHL players but a real shakeup. I'm definitely starting to believe that this core just can't get it done. I really think we should be in on some sort of blockbuster trade with a big piece of our core going out. Not sure what that would be but something is just not right with this team. I think we should keep Mack, Rants, Gabe, Zads, and Picks. The rest can go.

Besides Zadorov and possibly Bigras, I really don't care who goes on the back end or who has given their all for this team. I was always fine with Barrie being traded, unlike most of you here, for an actual ****ing defensemen. Everyone always talks about how groundbreaking his PM/offensive skills are...well...where is it? He's been a liability this far and is not even bringing the points to even it out. I would do a Barrie for Trouba trade instantly. I'm kind of fed up of this backing of Barrie.

Trying to not be so doom and gloom, but I'm done investing so much time, effort, and emotion into a team that simply cannot figure it out. I won't be watching for a few games, I'll tell you that much. It's just not worth being pissed off every other night.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I just saw on the main board that Friedman thinks the Islanders will be looking for a forward. So I just looked up their payroll and found out 11 of their forwards are making more than $2m a year, and 10 of those are still under contract next season. How does that even happen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just saw on the main board that Friedman thinks the Islanders will be looking for a forward. So I just looked up their payroll and found out 11 of their forwards are making more than $2m a year, and 10 of those are still under contract next season. How does that even happen.

Garth Snow.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Taveras and Hamonic taking great deals, along with an inexpensive D group overall (only 22mil).

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Taveras and Hamonic taking great deals, along with an inexpensive D group overall (only 22mil).

Yea they got two great contracts there. I just don't understand why the Islanders are signing guys they know are going to play on the 4th line to $2m+ contracts.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I hope when it's time to sign a new contract, the Islanders give Tavares a blank check. That guy has been a total professional through some bad years. The guy is playing this year with Cal Clutterbuck and Josh Bailey... and STILL putting up good numbers.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What we know:

1- Duchene will turn 26 in 2 months
2- Duchene is a player that relies on speed and explosiveness
3- Duchene contract expires in 2019

What we don't know:

1- This team will struggle for how many more years before becoming competitive?
2- At 26, how many more years of "speed and explosiveness" does Duchene have?

Considering both of these, does it make more sense to keep him or to trade him now at maximum value?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What we know:

1- Duchene will turn 26 in 2 months
2- Duchene is a player that relies on speed and explosiveness
3- Duchene contract expires in 2019

What we don't know:

1- This team will struggle for how many more years before becoming competitive?
2- At 26, how many more years of "speed and explosiveness" does Duchene have?

Considering both of these, does it make more sense to keep him or to trade him now at maximum value?

I would disagree on the speed and explosiveness argument here. Absolutely in his early years, but look back at last season. Only one of these goals was really related to his speed. The rest were his hands, shot, and work down low and close to the net (rebounds, tips, etc). He's really reinvented himself as a goal scorer, and not only is that hard to do, but that kind of game is one that is more likely to be sustained past the "prime years".

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Duchene's speed is a gift but he has calmed his game down a lot. Especially this year. More than anything Duchene's speed forces the opposing D to cheat and collapse low very early which is giving Duchene more room high in the zone to decide what to do. Since Duchene isn't a real fast decision maker this makes him much more lethal.

Duchene isn't as quick and flashy as he has been in the past and it's paying off in a better way than I ever expected it would when his game matured a little. Duchene is looking much more mature and poised with the puck this year than I have ever seen him.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Duchene's speed is a gift but he has calmed his game down a lot. Especially this year. More than anything Duchene's speed forces the opposing D to cheat and collapse low very early which is giving Duchene more room high in the zone to decide what to do. Since Duchene isn't a real fast decision maker this makes him much more lethal.

Duchene isn't as quick and flashy as he has been in the past and it's paying off in a better way than I ever expected it would when his game matured a little. Duchene is looking much more mature and poised with the puck this year than I have ever seen him.

Not to mention the fact that his defensive play has quietly improved every season. He's no Marian Hossa, but his two way game is very respectable.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
I don't think Avs have the players to play the way Bednar wants to play (puck pressure, overloading, quick on pucks) and we can't replace enough players in-season to get the type of players he would need. So he's going to have to adjust to the hand he's dealt.

But Sakic needs to send a signal to the team that this level of effort is unacceptable and that means a trade. Ideally it would be Comeau or Iginla. Perhaps a team like Montreal wants Söderberg or Beachemin.
I'm seeing the same thing. In fact, coming out of our shell has exposed just how bad some of our guys are, either in terms of their ability to physically execute or just their basic decision making about what to do with the puck.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
I'm seeing the same thing. In fact, coming out of our shell has exposed just how bad some of our guys are, either in terms of their ability to physically execute or just their basic decision making about what to do with the puck.

Having a smart, quick, pass first defenseman would help us out.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I would disagree on the speed and explosiveness argument here. Absolutely in his early years, but look back at last season. Only one of these goals was really related to his speed. The rest were his hands, shot, and work down low and close to the net (rebounds, tips, etc). He's really reinvented himself as a goal scorer, and not only is that hard to do, but that kind of game is one that is more likely to be sustained past the "prime years".

I agree. His game has evolved since being drafted. His speed is still something he uses, but I'd say he's more dangerous in tight around the net. As strong on the puck and anyone in the NHL at his size.

I don't understand how some of you would even consider letting Duchene go. He's been, by far, their most consistent player over the last few years, and he's so involved in the community off the ice. Whatever he asks for on his next contract, you have to believe he'd be taking a home town discount to stay here.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree. His game has evolved since being drafted. His speed is still something he uses, but I'd say he's more dangerous in tight around the net. As strong on the puck and anyone in the NHL at his size.

I don't understand how some of you would even consider letting Duchene go. He's been, by far, their most consistent player over the last few years, and he's so involved in the community off the ice. Whatever he asks for on his next contract, you have to believe he'd be taking a home town discount to stay here.

To never win a playoff series and be the constant talk of trade rumors? Duchene has already taken his home town discount. He's going to get PAID when he becomes a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese