Rumor: Trouba was an Avs Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Correct. Can't really just promote someone from the farm, they need to meet NHL minimum games requirement. Wier is probably the best option for a cheap extension, that's probably the easiest way to do it if Beauch doesn't waive.

Yeah, someone will get a one year extension and it's sorted.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What are the cap rules for LV? I don't believe they'll be required to meet the starts rules, but they'll have to have some type of floor. Maybe they'll need a Varly-type salary.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

After the expansion draft, they have to be at least at 60% of the cap and have selected 20 players under contract.

The 60% sounds like a lot, but break it down and it is ~45m. 2.25m per player with the minimum number of contract players... a more reasonable ~24 contracts and it is 1.875m. It obviously depends on who gets exposed, but there will be some decent players with salary to offset the lower players. Players like Ennis.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ah, Wiercioch, I had forgotten about that contract...yep that's the way to go. Not a devastating loss if picked, but certainly not an unwanted player if he stays.

On a side note, it's astounding that the Avs might be faced with an even worse situation than they had with Stuart, but it's possible with Beauchemin. If they don't find a taker and decide to buy him out they're on the hook for $4.5 million next season no matter what. I imagine they could find a taker if they eat some salary.

As for his numbers thus far, again, small sample size, but...gah...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=9&withagainst=true&season=2016-17&sit=5v5

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ah, Wiercioch, I had forgotten about that contract...yep that's the way to go. Not a devastating loss if picked, but certainly not an unwanted player if he stays.

On a side note, it's astounding that the Avs might be faced with an even worse situation than they had with Stuart, but it's possible with Beauchemin. If they don't find a taker and decide to buy him out they're on the hook for $4.5 million next season no matter what. I imagine they could find a taker if they eat some salary.

As for his numbers thus far, again, small sample size, but...gah...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=9&withagainst=true&season=2016-17&sit=5v5

How do you get to those wowy from the main page? I can never figure it out.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
As the Avs sit, I'm not sure if there really are more than 3 F's really worth protecting. The 4th is Grigo/Soda, but either wouldn't be a big loss right now (especially with some of the forwards coming up). I really don't think Grigo would be selected even if he was exposed. Soda might... The Avs really could end up with a 3F-5D-1G split if they made a move for a defenseman.

The Avs still do have to find a defensemen to expose if Beauch doesn't waive though. That could be as simple as an extension to Wier or a waiver pickup, but something needs to be done there.

Who would be the 5th Dman they opt to protect though?

Really, IMO we only have 3F and 3D that are actually worth protecting. Landy/Mack/Duchene and Barrie/Zads/EJ

After that, there's not a single player that would upset me if we lost them.

If it were me, assuming nothing major changes between now and the expansion draft, I'd keep Beauch and Grigorenko as the last two keepers and go the 4F/4D route.

I'd keep Greg over Sods simply because he's much cheaper, and fits with the age of our core more so that if he ever does figure it out in the next couple of years he'll fit in line with our core much better.

And then just keep Beauch simply for the veteran presence on the back end next year when most likely Bigras and possibly another young Dman are brought up.

If Soderberg can rebound then maybe protect him instead of Greg. Or perhaps Colborne gets going once he gets his chance in the Top 6 and he becomes the 4th one to keep.

But either way. I think we see at least 2, and maybe even 3 of Jost/Greer/Compher in the NHL next year, which is gonna replace whatever player we do lose.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
How do you get to those wowy from the main page? I can never figure it out.

I just search for the player by team on the main page, then click on the player's name, and then click on the season you want to look at. Don't know if there's another way or not.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Would LV be allowed to go to a team like the jets and say. We'll give you a 1st if trouba is exposed?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The have the lottery odds of 3rd and can pick no lower than 6th

I know Vegas can make deals. Not sure to what extent but I'll tentatively say yes. However I'm sure they'd like to make a slash and actually use their pick.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
A first or their 2017 first? I believe they are set to pick 4th overall next year no matter what.

I'm aware was just curious if they were allowed to do that.

Not saying they should do it. Just asking if they could.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The have the lottery odds of 3rd and can pick no lower than 6th

I know Vegas can make deals. Not sure to what extent but I'll tentatively say yes. However I'm sure they'd like to make a slash and actually use their pick.

Ah ok cool! For some reason I thought I heard they were going to be given the 4th pick. I hope they win the lottery (unless we are in it, then I hope we do obviously)

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Well said. Having cap space allows you to take on bad contracts for rookies like Carolina and Phoenix have done. Getting a crouse or teravanien for bad contracts would be a good way to help the depth and prospect list.

I mentioned that too (specifically Crouse trade).

I think that is the smartest route next offseason unless some quality "middle age" players shake loose in the trade market, or a select few like Alzner actually make UFA..

Problem is, with Vegas coming in, there is an extra 70+ whatever million entering the salary cap pool, so the return:dollar may not be quite as good as what we have seen this year.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
I mentioned that too (specifically Crouse trade).

I think that is the smartest route next offseason unless some quality "middle age" players shake loose in the trade market, or a select few like Alzner actually make UFA..

Problem is, with Vegas coming in, there is an extra 70+ whatever million entering the salary cap pool, so the return:dollar may not be quite as good as what we have seen this year.

That is a good point.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This team needs a Buffalo Sabres-style strip down of the roster:

- Let Jarome Iginla, John Mitchell, Rene Bourque, and Fedor Tyutin walk as free agents
- Look to move Carl Soderberg and Francois Beauchemin at all costs, even if for Beauchemin it means retaining half his salary for next season. Just got to hope he waives, maybe Montreal would take him on at 50%.
- Give Greer, Compher, and Bigras some time with the big club at the end of the season to get them prepared for next season
- Move one of Tyson Barrie or Erik Johnson for a different defensemen. I'm sick and tired of both of their mental lapses and lack of puck-moving ability.
- Move Varlamov for some sort of assets. I don't actively want to shop him, but we can only protect one goaltender and I really don't want to send an asset to Las Vegas to make sure he isn't selected. I am not, however, entirely against giving Las Vegas an asset to take Carl Soderberg. Getting out of that contract would be great.
- Try like all hell to move Joe Colborne. He may put up some points but he's lazy and plays uninspired hockey for a player his size.

Just sick and tired of the same old, same old from this team. It needs a complete tear down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA