Rumor: Trouba was an Avs Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In a related note, Barrie actually seemed to start the year making a lot more passes in his zone on the breakout than he used to. He'd start to get on his horse, and then you could see him change his mind and make a short pass to one of the wingers. You could tell the coaching staff was trying to get him to do this more. Not sure what's changed, or if it's just been the opponents, but he seems to have gotten away from that, and gone back to carrying it all the time. He just gets to the offensive blueline and kind of runs out of options.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Both Barrie and EJ are better at skating out the puck than passing it so we don't really get the puck movement from them we might always need.

EJ isn't even a good passer. He passes the puck way too hard for forwards to handle and he tends to favor the low percentage stretch passes even when better options are available. Decision making is a key component of being a good puck mover. It looks great when EJ does pull things off but his failure ratio is too high for a top pairing defender.

I don't know how ready Bigras is for bigger things but the player type is sorely needed here. A player who can make quick reads and quick passes to get out of the zone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Barrie has been held back by the staff. They have a specific set of breakouts they want to use and want the defensemen to make the short easy pass. That really isn't Barrie's game and I think that has to do with his struggles. Barrie is at his best rushing the puck and being dynamic. I've seen it more lately, so maybe the staff it pulling back on the restrictions.

EJ has rushed the puck more overall, but the reins seem to be on him a bit more than under Roy too. Hopefully they can start finding a balance here soon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Passing is definitely not EJ or Barrie's strong suit, but it doesn't mean the team wouldn't benefit more from them being a little more multi dimensional. When they skate it all the time they become predictable and easy to game plan for. Especially Barrie. EJ will at least get on his horse and take the puck right to the net if they let him, but Barrie just seems to want to skate into the zone and then look for a pass, and he's not thinking about his passing options until he's almost in the corner with the puck. Sometimes it's works ok, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes he just skates into a dead end and turns the puck over. It's great approach for getting the puck out of the D zone, but it's not always concussive to generating quality offensive chances.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bigras excels at this. Unfortunately, he has been injured for a bit. I'd love to see him keep progressing in SA and be able to be a call-up this year yet.

Yes this is who I was going for. Obviously he's not available now but he should help a lot with this whenever he can.

Z started to move a bit more up ice with the puck lately. I agree, hopefully they can start mixing in some of that.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
IMO Barrie has been held back by the staff. They have a specific set of breakouts they want to use and want the defensemen to make the short easy pass. That really isn't Barrie's game and I think that has to do with his struggles. Barrie is at his best rushing the puck and being dynamic. I've seen it more lately, so maybe the staff it pulling back on the restrictions.

EJ has rushed the puck more overall, but the reins seem to be on him a bit more than under Roy too. Hopefully they can start finding a balance here soon.

I wish they would put the reins are their stupid pinches.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I wish they would put the reins on their stupid pinches.

Well this is sort of where I get confused - the staff is to blame for the change in breakout style and passing? Is the staff also to blame for the total coasting and lack of defensive accountability? The turnovers at the blueline? Is no one regularly reviewing game film with the players or do these guys have the memory of a goldfish? When can we actually start holding these multi-million dollar sports professionals accountable for the state of this team? I don't care if you're 21 or you're 39, it's got to be embarrassing to play hockey like this.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They do encourage the chances though. As Bednar said they are okay with a few odd man chances a game... just not as many as they are giving up. The players are being coached to be that aggressive, but it is up to the player to find the balance. The responsibility falls on both sides.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
They do encourage the chances though. As Bednar said they are okay with a few odd man chances a game... just not as many as they are giving up. The players are being coached to be that aggressive, but it is up to the player to find the balance. The responsibility falls on both sides.

I get that. It's just that on a lot of the pinches they have no chance at the puck. The players have to be smarter about when they do it.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah all this constant talk about maybe getting rid of him and everyone assumes he'll run to sign whatever the Avs put in front of him as long as they choose to do so.

You mean all this talk by everyone except the Avs? Yeah I'm not too worried about it. Rumours tend to swirl when the team is losing; he just happens to be a good player, that's how it works.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not on the staff but it's a fair point to consider they encourage pinching (obviously not to the stupid degree) but seem to not encourage puck rushing as much.

It's not the coaching staff's fault for the player's bad decisions, but they are asking them to be extremely aggressive on puck carriers, and because of that the players are having a hard time adjusting. They also may not be as capable of playing that style as the coaching staff would like. EJ, Beauch, Zadorov, and Barrie have all had multiple aggressive step ups that have gone wrong.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not like EJ and Barrie are poor players. When they are playing within their limits and make the right calls, they are easily top pairing players and can lift Avs.

Too much chaos and it hurts because they are the only ones on defense that can do anything, especially with Beachemin dropping off.

Zadorov has been good this year but I don't want to get carried away. Long way to go with him. Encouraging start no doubt.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's not the coaching staff's fault for the player's bad decisions, but they are asking them to be extremely aggressive on puck carriers, and because of that the players are having a hard time adjusting. They also may not be as capable of playing that style as the coaching staff would like. EJ, Beauch, Zadorov, and Barrie have all had multiple aggressive step ups that have gone wrong.

I wish FB would stop trying to have career years Offensively in his twilight. I think if he stepped back a little bit he'd be better. Especially playing next to these offensive minded guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad