Trouba trade looks better everyday for the jets

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I sleep fine knowing the Canucks have that awful contract in the books and not the Jets
I don’t want to go too off topic, but you guys have hellebuyck. If the d was better he wouldn’t be getting shelled. What is the situation on big buff? He would certainly help you guys over there big time.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I get this logic, and in terms of value of the trade at the time it happened, it doesn't matter.

With that being said, hitting a home run with the pick vs. drafting a bust makes the trade feel waaaay different, and that is important.
I agree it makes the loss easy to overcome. But it doesn't make it any less one sided.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Pionk has been surprisingly good, and he’s making 5 million less than Trouba. The Jets would probably have Heinola if they hadn’t traded for Hayes, but he looks like a promising future 2 d. I don’t know how good Trouba has been with the Rangers, but they overplayed him as evidenced in Morriseys contract which he signed for a team on a much less desirable city with more taxes.
Top pairing D? Based on this season he's not, so not sure what your basing that on. The part about Morriseys contract is very confusing, are you saying the peg has higher taxes then NY? That's not correct btw.

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
The rangers are paying Panarin and Trouba a combined 19.6 million while the Jets are paying Scheifele and Morrissey a combined 12.375 million.
WTF is your point? That has no bearing on the trade at all. Give it up dude, trades are simple, the team who got the best player wins the trade shorterm and you reassess once picks or prospects have fully developed.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I don’t want to go too off topic, but you guys have hellebuyck. If the d was better he wouldn’t be getting shelled. What is the situation on big buff? He would certainly help you guys over there big time.
All we've got is that TSN article about "rising optimism" concerning Buff coming back.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
No surprise about Pionk, he play exactly like he did with the Rangers, great stamina, good hands, good puck moving dman, average dman.

He will do the job, even if I still think that playing him more than 20min/game is a mistake, but let's say the Jets don't have much more options right now.

Comparing Pionk to Trouba is a mistake, Trouba is a legit Top 2 defenseman, Pionk is not. Saying that this trade is looking better everyday for the Jets is mind blowing honestly, I'd took back Trouba instead of Pionk anytime!

Reactions: jetsforever

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
As much as the first couple funny responses were very popular, I actually agree with the OP here...

Doesnt matter how great Trouba is or isnt playing for the Rangers. We wish him well, but he wasnt going to be here long term. And we needed every most of that 8 million to get Connor signed long term.

Even if the Jets do the patient thing and send Ville back to Finland or AHL, it is so far so good with that pick.

Pionk will probably never be more than an small puck mover, but he hasn't been bad either. Still early obviously.

But for how much Chevy was laughed at, this trade definitely makes more sense in hindsight.

The bad trade was the Hayes trade. Chevy said screw it and tried to go for it the last year our young stars were cheap. But the team chemistry wasnt there.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
My lord people are putting all their eggs in the Ville Heinola basket. Hes played 5 games in the NHL and hes already a franchise dman?

Feel free to get excited though, we acted the same way during Michael Del Zotto's rookie season

This is fair. Still a long way to go. But couldnt ask for a better outlook from a draft+1 20th overall so far either. And that's really all OP is getting at

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Well it couldn't look any worse, so by default it can only look better.

On a scale of 1-10, it was a 1 on the day of the trade and now it's a 1.00001

It was a great move for the Rangers for sure. That doesnt mean it can't still be a good deal for the Jets down the road. We were 12 months away from losing him for nothing. That part was out of the Jets control.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets either:

a) won the trade
b) got equal value in return
c) lost the trade

Unless Pionk turns into a 1st pairing defenseman, it seems pretty cut and dry the Rangers won that trade outright. As for the #20 draft pick, it will be pure luck if Heinola can compare to Trouba in a few years. It would make a far more convincing argument if the Jets had received a top 10 draft pick in return.

Good scouting isn't pure luck. Maybe to a message board statistician... but the Jets have been drafting well for years and years now.

Even when they were constantly in the "mushy middle" they drafted future 1st line players pretty consistently.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
Their goalies have been under siege the entire year and this is the time you're choosing to laud this trade? Interesting...

Reactions: klozge

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It was a great move for the Rangers for sure. That doesnt mean it can't still be a good deal for the Jets down the road. We were 12 months away from losing him for nothing. That part was out of the Jets control.
With Byfuglien likely gone, it probably would ahve been better if we kept Trouba for the remainder of the year.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Carlson? Probably around 70-75 points.

Trouba could hit that if Zibanejad and Panarin stay healthy.

If Quinn grows a pair and let's Kakko QB the 1st PP, that'll help even more.

Here we go again. Just like Shattenkirk was better than Carlson Lol

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Not from what I have seen- though only including 150 min at most watching Pionk, whom I liked.
I hold no hate for the Peg or Neil,
lets revisit this in March.

Reactions: larmex99

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
It peg and NYC under our glorified mayor bill De Blasio...

Winny is up there in some comparable crime numbers( with pop perc. Taken into account).

is it as crazy as they say or just a few blocks skewing the numbers?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Even if Pionk is better than most Rangers fans thought, I still like the trade. We need high end talent. There’s a much better chance of an impact player having Trouba on the team than Pionk and the 21st pick.

Trouba is at least a very good #2 defensemen. He’s been one of our best players so far this season. I quickly went through the teams quickly and couldn’t find 31 better defensemen, so I think he’s probably a 1D, although definitely a low end 1D. But he’s only 25, so I don’t see why he can’t get better.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Trouba didn't want to be here anyway I didn't want him.

For example, after Columbus lost Panarin and Bobrovsky, when Foligno stepped up and said, 'We only want players who want to play for Columbus.' Foligno showed how amazing of a captain he is, you also see him being kind to every teammate who walks into the Blue Jackets dressing room, plus he's changed that franchise in no way any franchise player ever could do so, and he isn't star talent entirely, but he's been an amazing leader for them. But he is the example of why you want people who want to be there, thus making me happy why Trouba is gone.

Reactions: TonyDay and Grimm

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
As much as the first couple funny responses were very popular, I actually agree with the OP here...

Doesnt matter how great Trouba is or isnt playing for the Rangers. We wish him well, but he wasnt going to be here long term. And we needed every most of that 8 million to get Connor signed long term.

Even if the Jets do the patient thing and send Ville back to Finland or AHL, it is so far so good with that pick.

Pionk will probably never be more than an small puck mover, but he hasn't been bad either. Still early obviously.

But for how much Chevy was laughed at, this trade definitely makes more sense in hindsight.

The bad trade was the Hayes trade. Chevy said screw it and tried to go for it the last year our young stars were cheap. But the team chemistry wasnt there.

I admittedly didn't watch much of Hayes on the Jets but I think it was the right move. That team was scary good and they had to go for it; giving up a late 1st and Lemieux is 1000% worth it to bring in a player like Hayes; unfortunately the team underachieved in the playoffs but it was absolutely the right move at the time

Reactions: Naturaledge

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I admittedly didn't watch much of Hayes on the Jets but I think it was the right move. That team was scary good and they had to go for it; giving up a late 1st and Lemieux is 1000% worth it to bring in a player like Hayes; unfortunately the team underachieved in the playoffs but it was absolutely the right move at the time
The Jets were bad last season. They never looked as good as the year prior. Hayes did nothing to help that. He was completely useless and was quickly demoted to the fourth line. It was a terrible trade.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
No surprise about Pionk, he play exactly like he did with the Rangers, great stamina, good hands, good puck moving dman, average dman.

He will do the job, even if I still think that playing him more than 20min/game is a mistake, but let's say the Jets don't have much more options right now.

Comparing Pionk to Trouba is a mistake, Trouba is a legit Top 2 defenseman, Pionk is not. Saying that this trade is looking better everyday for the Jets is mind blowing honestly, I'd took back Trouba instead of Pionk anytime!
Would you if you lost Heinola?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad