Trouba trade looks better everyday for the jets

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Uhhh .. I'll admit to not having watched a Rangers game this year so I cant speak on Trouba .. BUT, I think he'll be ok. He's got the pedigree.

As for Pionk, the Pens have played the Jets twice already. Pionk was fine... nothing spectacular, nothing bad. So I believe you are overstating what you are seeing, ya know, just a tad.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
"Better" is a relative term. It's still pretty bad, just not as terrible.

Pionk is better than expected. He's an upgrade on Myers, but otherwise a similar style and caliber of player. Not at all a Trouba replacement.

Heinola wasn't in the deal, just the pick. The value of a 20th overall pick was still bad in that return. They got really lucky it turned out as well as it did.

Reactions: StonedAF

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think the Trouba trade wasn't handled very well in as he should have been moved as soon as he indicated he didn't want to stay in Winnipeg. The return would likely (but no guarantees) have been much higher. Now it MIGHT turn out that the 1st round pick Heinola turns out to be a good player, but it was still a late 1st and an averaged D being returned for a 1/2D which isn't a good trade. As a Jet's fan, I'm hoping this turns out to be a win-win for both teams, or at least close.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
with all the talk about how trouba should of been traded earlier, think about this.

the jets had a very good team with important contributions from elc players. why would you trade your #2 defenceman when you are trying for a cup run before these young players get a lot more money?

the 2nd thing that needs consideration is trouba's actions.

he was so focused on getting the fastest route to free agency that he passed on a contract that would of guaranteed money.

there was a five year contract offered that would have meant 1 additional year in Winnipeg.

instead he took 1 year arbitration awards with the associated risk of injury to get what he wanted.

he may or may not be as good as the rangers are hoping for.....

but I am glad he is gone. far to much drama from that young man

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Theres no proof that he would produce the same. Thats just a guess.

They aren't similar at all, Carlson (and a host of other defensemen) are clearly better than Trouba.
It's an educated guess given that Carlson plays regularly on the possibly the greatest PP ever assembled.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Why even post this garbage?

Because I tell the truth about our 6 million dollar starter.

We got ripped by Hellebuyck and he has not proven that he is worth this type of money.

source.gif

Reactions: Johnny HFBOARDS

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
everyday? like if Winnipeg plays on Monday and Wednesday

how does this trade look better on Tuesday than it did on Monday?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
"Better" is a relative term. It's still pretty bad, just not as terrible.

Pionk is better than expected. He's an upgrade on Myers, but otherwise a similar style and caliber of player. Not at all a Trouba replacement.

Heinola wasn't in the deal, just the pick. The value of a 20th overall pick was still bad in that return. They got really lucky it turned out as well as it did.
Huh well that’s interesting because Myers has been good so far for us

Reactions: MikeK

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Huh well that’s interesting because Myers has been good so far for us
I compared Pionk to Myers favorably, as Pionk was expected to be really bad at the time of the trade (some suggested worse than Marc Staal). The fact he's turned into a somewhat useful player away from the tirefire of the Rangers defense last season is a nice development.

But again, neither is remotely a Trouba replacement. Trouba played all situations against the other team's best players. Myers played a sheltered bottom pairing role. I'm not interested in Canucks fans pretending Myers became a new player after >600 NHL games in an attempt to defend their horribly overpaid new signing. Myers is a useful player offensively when appropriately sheltered, but his defensive game is pretty bad.

I don't think there's many Jets fans who wish they retained Myers at what Vancouver signed him for, even if we had known Buff might retire. It's a terrible contract.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Carlson? Probably around 70-75 points.

Trouba could hit that if Zibanejad and Panarin stay healthy.

If Quinn grows a pair and let's Kakko QB the 1st PP, that'll help even more.

:laugh: no he couldn't....... he's only hit 50 points once.... scored over 30 once before that.

Why can't you accept that he isn't a #1 defensemen, and also not even one of the best in the league offensively.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Both teams won that trade from the posts we see here. I wonder what it will look like after the season ends?

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Trouba is a good player, and I do sorely miss him on the blue line. Pionk has been better than what we thought we'd be getting, but he's just been ok not great. Heinola is a surprise and looks like a sure fire NHLer and again has also been just ok overall, though considering age and his slight frame, the fact that he can play alright in the NHL already is a massively good thing. Considering age he could develop into a top end defenseman but we'd have to wait and see.

Overall the Jets blue line hasn't been good, as everyone back there has just ranged from ok to bad. No one you can really point to and say wow he's been playing great, even Morrissey hasn't been great.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
It doesn't.matter how good Henioila is or isn't. He was not part of the deal. What the Jets do with the pick doesn't change thd outcome of the deal. It was a bad trade for a GM who took a gamble and kept Trouba knowing he wanted out. It's hard to argue it as they were a contender, but still.

Reactions: Devonator

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
:laugh: no he couldn't....... he's only hit 50 points once.... scored over 30 once before that.

Why can't you accept that he isn't a #1 defensemen, and also not even one of the best in the league offensively.
El oh f***ing el

If you only knew the irony of this statement

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It doesn't.matter how good Henioila is or isn't. He was not part of the deal. What the Jets do with the pick doesn't change thd outcome of the deal. It was a bad trade for a GM who took a gamble and kept Trouba knowing he wanted out. It's hard to argue it as they were a contender, but still.
I get this logic, and in terms of value of the trade at the time it happened, it doesn't matter.

With that being said, hitting a home run with the pick vs. drafting a bust makes the trade feel waaaay different, and that is important.

Reactions: WHISTLERNATE

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I compared Pionk to Myers favorably, as Pionk was expected to be really bad at the time of the trade (some suggested worse than Marc Staal). The fact he's turned into a somewhat useful player away from the tirefire of the Rangers defense last season is a nice development.

But again, neither is remotely a Trouba replacement. Trouba played all situations against the other team's best players. Myers played a sheltered bottom pairing role. I'm not interested in Canucks fans pretending Myers became a new player after >600 NHL games in an attempt to defend their horribly overpaid new signing. Myers is a useful player offensively when appropriately sheltered, but his defensive game is pretty bad.

I don't think there's many Jets fans who wish they retained Myers at what Vancouver signed him for, even if we had known Buff might retire. It's a terrible contract.
Whatever makes you sleep better at night

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If he sucks then why’d you want him to sign in Detroit...?
I’m not sure, kupo but he is looking better than I’ve seen him before, kupo. The dude has a a lot to prove and his play so far has shown that he is taking the opportunity in the big apple seriously, Kupo.
Carlson? Probably around 70-75 points.

Trouba could hit that if Zibanejad and Panarin stay healthy.

If Quinn grows a pair and let's Kakko QB the 1st PP, that'll help even more.
I see a potential of 85 points this season for Trouba if those caveats are met.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad