Speculation: Trouba/Laine

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
So I've been thinking Vancouver would be an excellent trade partner if Trouba finds it an acceptable location. To that end Trouba would be the undisputed #1 RD, though who knows what his motives are.

Vancouver could offer Winnipeg some mix of:
Troy Stecher
Ben Hutton
Olli Juolevi
Jett Woo
Next year's 1st

A few packages I would consider from the Canucks end:

Stecher + Juolevi

Stecher + Woo + Next year's 1st

Stecher + #10 for Trouba

I think Stecher is an attractive piece for them as he's a quality RD with a low cost for one more year. I think he's a guy who could play 2nd or 3rd pair depending on how you structure the pairs.

What do Winnipeg fans think?

How would Trouba for Horvat as a base work?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
There’s absolutely no situation or scenario where trading a generational scorer like Laine makes sense. Zero.

Lock Laine up long term and bridge Connor.

Trouba is really the wild card in the whole off season for the Jets...if he indeed wants out then chevy needs to do his best to get a Trouba replacement. No picks or prospects those aren’t useful to a team that’s in the middle of their window. It will be a hockey trade.
>generational scorer
>50 points in 82 games

Pick one

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Nothing will be added to the 6th overall pick. If Cozens and Bryam are gone if I am Detroit I would consider moving the 6th overall for Trouba.

If you think Trouba is going to get more than that when he is a year from free agency and doesn't want to sign with Winnipeg you are dreaming.
Actually, you're dreaming if you think you're getting an extended young, young top pairing RHD for a single pick. The pick is a good start, but you would need a pretty good add.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Nothing will be added to the 6th overall pick. If Cozens and Bryam are gone if I am Detroit I would consider moving the 6th overall for Trouba.

If you think Trouba is going to get more than that when he is a year from free agency and doesn't want to sign with Winnipeg you are dreaming.

Lol

Legit first pair right handed d man is worth more than magic beans at the draft.

Whichever team traded for Trouba is a team he would be willing to sign long term with that goes without saying.

Reactions: Snowman

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Suppose the New Jersey Devils were to offersheet Patrik Laine at 5 years, 8.4 million AAV. The compensation would be: 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Would the Jets match?

And suppose the Devils raised the AAV to the bracket above and offered Laine 5 years, 9.5 million AAV. The compensation would be: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Would the Jets match that?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Jets don’t need forwards

Horvat would be a really effective 2nd line centre. Great on face offs and really good two way game.
Then move one of T6 wingers for Pesce +

All moot though because Vancouver isn’t trading him and Trouba is not signing in Vancouver.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Suppose the New Jersey Devils were to offersheet Patrik Laine at 5 years, 8.4 million AAV. The compensation would be: 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Would the Jets match?

And suppose the Devils raised the AAV to the bracket above and offered Laine 5 years, 9.5 million AAV. The compensation would be: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Would the Jets match that?
So you are basically trading Jack Hughes and picks for Laine? That would be hard to pass up (if the hype about Hughes is correct).

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
So you are basically trading Jack Hughes and picks for Laine? That would be hard to pass up (if the hype about Hughes is correct).

The offer sheet would be after this years draft (July 1st) so it would be 2020 1/2/3 & 21 1st.
Kakko may be just as good at scoring as Laine. Kakko has better numbers in their corresponding draft years in the same league. He’s good!

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Don’t think neither side would , jets are competing for the cup now why would they move connor? And we want to get younger and there’s always a risk connor wouldn’t click with the wings, he’s just a good fit where he is

As for trouba if I were Detroit I wouldn’t make an offer , just wait a year when he’s a ufa and get him for free , been hearing rumours he ways to come home for years and now with yzerman there IF he calls Can’t see trouba saying no

The thing is, if there are rumblings of other teams involved with a contract extension locked and loaded ready to be signed, they may never get the chance.

That’s when they might have to decide to throw their chips on the table to be the team that gets first crack at extending him. It could become an arm’s race if all interested parties believe they will lock him up long term if they’re able to acquire him.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
The thing is, if there are rumblings of other teams involved with a contract extension locked and loaded ready to be signed, they may never get the chance.

That’s when they might have to decide to throw their chips on the table to be the team that gets first crack at extending him. It could become an arm’s race if all interested parties believe they will lock him up long term if they’re able to acquire him.
Well there’s also talks behind closed doors, tampering with agents that we don’t know about , anyways we’re a rebuilding team and years away from competing I don’t think we’re in any position to be trading a 1st and a player and a good prospect , it doesn’t make any sense at all , last thing we want is to end up losing and giving the 1st pick overall to the jets

We keep going on the path we’re on keep doing things the right way if we don’t land him it’s not the end of the world ,he’s a good player but he’s no lidstrom 2.0 we will survive

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Horvat would be a really effective 2nd line centre. Great on face offs and really good two way game.
Then move one of T6 wingers for Pesce +

All moot though because Vancouver isn’t trading him and Trouba is not signing in Vancouver.

Yeah it’s not a fit at all.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Umm we need a 2nd line C, and Horvat is a very good 2nd line C for Vancouver, and is capable of playing the 1C role sometimes.

If they trade Trouba for a forward they will trade a winger for a D.

Connor would get a nice return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad