Speculation: Trouba/Laine

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Jets will likely lose Myers to UFA, and with Laine, Connor AND Trouba to re-sign they might need to make a big move. I think Connor is the least likely of the 3 to go.

Mathieu Perreault and Dmitry Kulikov would clear a lot of cap space if traded/bought out

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Appleton Little Connor
Copp Lowry Tanev
Vesalainen Lindholm Roslovic

Morrissey Byfuglien
Niku Chiarot
Beaulieu Samberg?

Hellebuyck Brossoit

This line-up without Laine, Trouba, Perreault, Kulikov and no extras comes out to about 65M$, leaving less than $20M available and a lot of tinkering needed. Defense seems weak, which means they might favor keeping Trouba.

What do you think happens?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Tanev is also a UFA just saying. I think Laine comes back for sure and then they send Kulikov back to FLA and Perrault to maybe COL. Trouba I really don’t know if he comes back. I think there’s an obvious spot for him but he’s expressed his desire to leave before I believe and I don’t know if something has changed.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Kulikov definitely isn't heading back to Florida but I could see Trouba finishing up there. Perrault will be on the move and I wouldn't be surprised to see Little's name floated out in rumours.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If the Jets are smart they'll get out of Little's contract while they can. Go with Roslovic as your 2C and let him grow. There might be some growing pains but he seems like the future. They'll need to pay Morrissey in a year also so they'll need all the cap space they can get.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Tanev is also a UFA just saying. I think Laine comes back for sure and then they send Kulikov back to FLA and Perrault to maybe COL. Trouba I really don’t know if he comes back. I think there’s an obvious spot for him but he’s expressed his desire to leave before I believe and I don’t know if something has changed.

Lol, Kuli is the least likely Jet to be in Florida anytime soon.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
They trade Perreault as he has more value than Kulikov
They bridge Laine to a 1-2 yr deal
Sign Connor to a 5-6yr deal

Trade Trouba at the draft to get a 1st+ back or try to find a 1 for 1 RD type trade.

They just traded a first for 6 games of Kevin Hayes. If all they can get back for Trouba is a first, that is horrid asset management.

Reactions: Pantokrator

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think Laine gets bridged. I think if he locks into a long-term contract right now he'd be leaving money on the table after coming off quite an underwhelming year.

KC i think signs long-term.

Poolman will replace Myers' as a 3RD. Myers at 5.5M as a 3RD was a luxury the Jets can't afford anymore.... even though Myers was barely average in that role.

i think Kulikov will get moved, they might still be able to fit Perreault but he's a candidate to get moved.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They just traded a first for 6 games of Kevin Hayes. If all they can get back for Trouba is a first, that is horrid asset management.

They've traded their 1st in back to back years which hurts their prospect pool. If they don't start drafting RD, when will they?

I did say a 1st+ though, teams like PHI (11th) and FLA (13th) would offer up their 1st + 2nd/prospect + roster player.

Trouba's contract situation makes it hard for any GM to offer up a 4 piece deal if he isn't committed to signing with the new team and wanting to test free agent waters.

What do you feel is a fair offer for him with one year left?

Reactions: irunthepeg and Troy

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
They've traded their 1st in back to back years which hurts their prospect pool. If they don't start drafting RD, when will they?

I did say a 1st+ though, teams like PHI (11th) and FLA (13th) would offer up their 1st + 2nd/prospect + roster player.

Trouba's contract situation makes it hard for any GM to offer up a 4 piece deal if he isn't committed to signing with the new team and wanting to test free agent waters.

Nothing now you can get for him will be fair. I'd just try and resign him, even at an overpay. That defense is a mess without him.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nothing now you can get for him will be fair. I'd just try and resign him, even at an overpay. That defense is a mess without him.

If WPG did better this year, it may have changed his mind but if you do some simple math, Chevy will have to get creative with these RFA signings and unloading of one or both of Perreault and Kulikov.
Little's name may come up as well but they do need to focus on drafting some defense going forward.

I agree, losing Trouba and Myers is not an option for them but both will want big deals and don't know if they can afford the whole UFA/RFA group.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Bridge Laine, he is a 1 dimensional player who had a down year and seems to be streaky. That or try go long term with him and hope he becomes more well rounded.

What happened to Ehlers this year? points went way down, he had some chances in the playoffs but had 0 pts

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Bridge Laine, he is a 1 dimensional player who had a down year and seems to be streaky. That or try go long term with him and hope he becomes more well rounded.

What happened to Ehlers this year? points went way down, he had some chances in the playoffs but had 0 pts
for Ehlers - injuries and a victim a bit of player usage. it always seemed like Maurice gave him the short end of the stick in terms of the 1LW spot. Didn't get as great of an opportunity he probably deserved with the top line even though the top line was at it's absolute best with Ehlers up there. He still had one of the better 5v5 scoring rates (p/60) on the team. 21 goals in 62 games so he was scoring goals at a rate similar to his previous 2 seasons (25 & 29). POs no excuse really he didn't produce. He was still getting chances and doing what he normally does with zone entries but the 0 G's hurts and obviously needs to put up points.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
What indication has there been about Trouba staying, he clearly wants out desperately and has left a lot of money on the table to seek that end. He's gone, wishing him a Jet doesn't make it so.

And Winnipeg fans turning on Laine? Um, this is the biggest star you can keep and you want to nickle and dime him? Bridge him and face another Trouba situation. This is the best time to sign a superstar long term for a reasonable price but put your fan ego first and get that 'show me' deal despite Laine showing you for his first two seasons.

I'm excited to see Chevy drop the ball and fans cheering him on to fumble. Ignore the big picture and win the day like every short sighted reactionary.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What indication has there been about Trouba staying, he clearly wants out desperately and has left a lot of money on the table to seek that end. He's gone, wishing him a Jet doesn't make it so.

And Winnipeg fans turning on Laine? Um, this is the biggest star you can keep and you want to nickle and dime him? Bridge him and face another Trouba situation. This is the best time to sign a superstar long term for a reasonable price but put your fan ego first and get that 'show me' deal despite Laine showing you for his first two seasons.

I'm excited to see Chevy drop the ball and fans cheering him on to fumble. Ignore the big picture and win the day like every short sighted reactionary.
the only indication Trouba has has given as of late from what i recall is after the playoffs last year saying he wanted a deal done with the Jets the "quicker the better." The original issue was his usage (apparently) but since then he's gotten the 1RD role.

As for Laine i think most Jets fans want him locked up and the down year might lessen the cost on the AAV. Laine scored 30g/50 pts this year and his overall play wasn't up to par. It was a down year for him. If he locks into a long-term deal after this past season he might be shaving off 1-2M on the AAV per year. Most Jets would love him at a reasonable price but just don't know if his camp wants to lock in given the underwhelming year he just had.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
the only indication Trouba has has given as of late from what i recall is after the playoffs last year saying he wanted a deal done with the Jets the "quicker the better." The original issue was his usage (apparently) but since then he's gotten the 1RD role.

As for Laine i think most Jets fans want him locked up and the down year might lessen the cost on the AAV. Laine scored 30g/50 pts this year and his overall play wasn't up to par. It was a down year for him. If he locks into a long-term deal after this past season he might be shaving off 1-2M on the AAV per year. Most Jets would love him at a reasonable price but just don't know if his camp wants to lock in given the underwhelming year he just had.
I want Winnipeg to get cute with Laine and lose him/force his hand.

Trouba signed what a two year 5. 5 million dollar contract on the hope of being moved and Chevy held him hostage, it's unreasonable to think Trouba is going to forgive that sin in a city he seems motivated to leave in the first place.

A small market wanting it's cake and eat it too is a fan fiction confined to cyberspace.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Laine should be bridged, and I'd try to lock up Connor long-term. I think Trouba is as good as gone.

As far as Trouba suitors go, the Flyers could be a fit. They're overflowing with young NHL-ready talent on cheap ELCs. WPG could likely recoup a 1st round pick in the deal to compensate for the pick lost in the Hayes deal.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As a Leaf fan I would have an interest in Jacob Trouba....

What are the Jets looking for right now? LD? C?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

You and I have talked about this a few times already. We’ll all know Trouba isn’t being traded to anyone as a one year player. He’ll be traded to a team where he is willing to sign an extension. Structure your proposals based on that to be in the running.

Reactions: Devonator

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As a Leaf fan I would have an interest in Jacob Trouba....

What are the Jets looking for right now? LD? C?

Defence.....actually arguably better off at LHD then RHD.....perfer RHD. Myers will be/should be allowed to walk, Trouba will be traded......Buff is still a star but only has a couple years left.

2C.......Kadri is no interest IMO due to multi reasons.

As a fan of both teams.....I don't see the Leafs having anything available to get Trouba even if he was willing to agree to a trade/sign.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad