Speculation: Trouba/Laine

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
IMO Flyers, Panthers, Wings and Bolts are the most likely landing spots for Trouba.....all have been linked to Trouba rumours in the past to a greater or lesser degree and all have good pieces that could land Trouba & fill Jets needs. I don't see Nylander as a fit IMO, due to cap hit, his style, he's only proven as a winger which is the last thing the Jets need more on.

Right. I’m saying Nylander also makes a ton of sense for the Flyers and if Toronto wants to put him on the table to balance the cap sheet, but your speculation as to Winnipeg not wanting him is true, Philadelphia could provide Winnipeg the cost-controlled assets desired in a Trouba to TOR, Nylander to PHL, (cheap, quality assets) to WPG structure. Pluses where applicable, etc.

There are so many quality assets in all three orgs that it might actually work since it gives so many angles of attack.

Reactions: Devonator

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Unfortunately we cant structure them accordingly.
Do you prefer Trouba's value to a McDonagh type trade?
I think it will likely be a 2 or 3 piece deal. Probably a pick, a player and a prospect. All of course variable depending on what the actual pieces involved are.

It just won't be like some of the offers for Trouba have been lately in these threads, where it is a pick and a couple C or D prospects for an extended Trouba. As the Jets would get a better return than that for a rental Trouba at the TDL.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Right. I’m saying Nylander also makes a ton of sense for the Flyers and if Toronto wants to put him on the table to balance the cap sheet, but your speculation as to Winnipeg not wanting him is true, Philadelphia could provide Winnipeg the cost-controlled assets desired in a Trouba to TOR, Nylander to PHL, (cheap, quality assets) to WPG structure. Pluses where applicable, etc.

There are so many quality assets in all three orgs that it might actually work since it gives so many angles of attack.

Certainly possible but IMO unlikely......still the problem of the rumour of Trouba not wanting to play in Canada......rumour only but I would say there's a decent chance it's true. Still feel Trouba lands with a eastern based US team like the Bolts, Wings, Flyers, Panthers or Rangers.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Trouba and a winger for 8OA and Adam Larsson.

What makes you think Trouba would want any part of EDM for anything more than 1 year? This would be brutal asset management for EDM. Not saying that value is off but EDM would be stupidiest brass in the NHL to pull something like this u less they have a 7-8 year commitment. Again not likely.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Could or would Detroit trade 6OA for Kyle Connor?

I want to keep the three wings.

Trouba is the one that goes, didn't seem motivated to play for the Jets this season. But I doubt he's worth a top-ten pick, but if he is then hallelujah.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Defence.....actually arguably better off at LHD then RHD.....perfer RHD. Myers will be/should be allowed to walk, Trouba will be traded......Buff is still a star but only has a couple years left.

2C.......Kadri is no interest IMO due to multi reasons.

As a fan of both teams.....I don't see the Leafs having anything available to get Trouba even if he was willing to agree to a trade/sign.

I think for us to offer anything of value to Jets it would start with Dermott or Sandin (I would hate to lose either) but Trouba would be worth it and have to agree to a 7 or 8 year deal around 7.5-8 per.

Neither is happening and I suspect he is dealt to Wings or Panthers and signs long term.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Could or would Detroit trade 6OA for Kyle Connor?

I want to keep the three wings.

Trouba is the one that goes, didn't seem motivated to play for the Jets this season. But I doubt he's worth a top-ten pick, but if he is then hallelujah.
Doesn't matter if Detroit would as the Jets wouldn't.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think for us to offer anything of value to Jets it would start with Dermott or Sandin (I would hate to lose either) but Trouba would be worth it and have to agree to a 7 or 8 year deal around 7.5-8 per.

Neither is happening and I suspect he is dealt to Wings or Panthers and signs long term.

Your contract numbers are pretty accurate IMO. But I agree it likely ends up being a US eastern team who offers the best deal and where he wants to go.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
They trade Perreault as he has more value than Kulikov
They bridge Laine to a 1-2 yr deal
Sign Connor to a 5-6yr deal

Trade Trouba at the draft to get a 1st+ back or try to find a 1 for 1 RD type trade.
The Laine part seems a little hopeful to me. I think if he didn't score 30 on the year then it'd seem more likely, but I feel like him and his agent are going to be stubborn even though he played like trash most of the year

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Doesn't matter if Detroit would as the Jets wouldn't.

Don’t think neither side would , jets are competing for the cup now why would they move connor? And we want to get younger and there’s always a risk connor wouldn’t click with the wings, he’s just a good fit where he is

As for trouba if I were Detroit I wouldn’t make an offer , just wait a year when he’s a ufa and get him for free , been hearing rumours he ways to come home for years and now with yzerman there IF he calls Can’t see trouba saying no

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think it will likely be a 2 or 3 piece deal. Probably a pick, a player and a prospect. All of course variable depending on what the actual pieces involved are.

It just won't be like some of the offers for Trouba have been lately in these threads, where it is a pick and a couple C or D prospects for an extended Trouba. As the Jets would get a better return than that for a rental Trouba at the TDL.

We have talked enough to know what our trade proposals would be for him. Feel McDonagh's value would be similar and explained the breakdown of value of what he got in another thread, 2 late 1sts and two 2nd's which is equal to a 1st in the 10-15th range plus two 2nds or a 2nd and prospect. I'll admit I was wrong if you will too when/if he is traded.

The Laine part seems a little hopeful to me. I think if he didn't score 30 on the year then it'd seem more likely, but I feel like him and his agent are going to be stubborn even though he played like trash most of the year

His agent may say take the one year deal, bust your ass and get back to being a 40goal guy capable of 65-75pts or more and earn a 6-7yr deal at $8-9.5 million. He's still only 20 years old and feel the Jets as a whole took a step back this year. Think that actually helped his future caphit, depends if WPG is open to a short term deal or now prefer to lock him up at a reduced AAV, a smaller one then Laine and his agent were thinking he could command at the start of the year. The cap is going up $5-6 million in the next few years, some may be open to sacrifice a year or two to cash in bigger down the road.

Reactions: Bag Headed Hab Fan

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
We obviously are not going to offer our first.
To NJ-Trouba
To WpG- McLeod, Santini, NJ Second pick ‘19, ‘second pick 2020

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Laine would probably still get a great haul in return, way more than his actual value. The Canes, for example, could likely be persuaded to trade Aho for him with even a small add from the Canes side. The Jets, if they are wise, will pursue avenues like this, but I fear they will hang onto Laine, overpay him and regret it in the future.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Laine would probably still get a great haul in return, way more than his actual value. The Canes, for example, could likely be persuaded to trade Aho for him with even a small add from the Canes side. The Jets, if they are wise, will pursue avenues like this, but I fear they will hang onto Laine, overpay him and regret it in the future.

I think the Jets will bet on Laine with the possibility of him becoming a future superstar.

No way he is moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad