Speculation: Trouba/Laine

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Defence.....actually arguably better off at LHD then RHD.....perfer RHD. Myers will be/should be allowed to walk, Trouba will be traded......Buff is still a star but only has a couple years left.

2C.......Kadri is no interest IMO due to multi reasons.

As a fan of both teams.....I don't see the Leafs having anything available to get Trouba even if he was willing to agree to a trade/sign.

Nylander
Kadri
Dermott (playing RD these playoffs)

Would probably be our highest valued assets that we could use in a deal like this but the fit is certainly tough.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You and I have talked about this a few times already. We’ll all know Trouba isn’t being traded to anyone as a one year player. He’ll be traded to a team where he is willing to sign an extension. Structure your proposals based on that to be in the running.

Unfortunately we cant structure them accordingly.
Do you prefer Trouba's value to a McDonagh type trade?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Laine should be bridged, and I'd try to lock up Connor long-term. I think Trouba is as good as gone.

As far as Trouba suitors go, the Flyers could be a fit. They're overflowing with young NHL-ready talent on cheap ELCs. WPG could likely recoup a 1st round pick in the deal to compensate for the pick lost in the Hayes deal.

Something around Frost for Trouba? Although Winnipeg might need a D back to fill in for the lost of Trouba. Sanheim would be an interesting piece.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Defence.....actually arguably better off at LHD then RHD.....perfer RHD. Myers will be/should be allowed to walk, Trouba will be traded......Buff is still a star but only has a couple years left.

As a fan of both teams.....I don't see the Leafs having anything available to get Trouba even if he was willing to agree to a trade/sign.
I agree with you. No sense in the leafs making an offer.
Trouba will take his ne year arbitration deal and walk at the end. No one is paying a premium to trade for him.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nylander
Kadri
Dermott (playing RD these playoffs)

Would probably be our highest valued assets that we could use in a deal like this but the fit is certainly tough.

Hi WTFMan happy Easter.

Not just about value.....also about fit.

Nylander has a really bad year, no doubt he will bounce back to his normal form but still not what the Jets need......he's too much of an outside player & not enough grit/fire.

Kadri.......he regressed this year.....and he's overpaid as a 3C and doesn't fit as a 2C on our team. He's a slightly younger Little......not a dynamic player but good grinder.

Dermott is interesting but far from Trouba value especially if Trouba turns into a Stone trade/sign deal agreed to beforehand like even Bobby Mac has suggested is a possibility on radio.

Only players of interest to me within the organization that might be available in a Trouba trade are Dermott & Sandin (both would require a significant plus)......outside that they are either unavailable, too low value or poor fit chemistry wise or fills no need. Just don't see a likely fit between the two teams. I see other teams that have pieces in the East that are a much better fit and closer to Trouba desired/rumoured landing spot.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

Then you don't know much about the assets the Leafs have because they definitely have enough to acquire a Trouba level player.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
If the Jets are smart they'll get out of Little's contract while they can. Go with Roslovic as your 2C and let him grow. There might be some growing pains but he seems like the future. They'll need to pay Morrissey in a year also so they'll need all the cap space they can get.

You must not have seen Roslo play centre this year. Not encouraging

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hi WTFMan happy Easter.

Nylander has a really bad year, no doubt he will bounce back to his normal form but still not what the Jets need......he's too much of an outside player & not enough grit/fire.

Kadri.......he regressed this year.....and he's overpaid as a 3C and doesn't fit as a 2C on our team. He's a slightly younger Little......not a dynamic player but good grinder.

Dermott is interesting but far from Trouba value especially if Trouba turns into a Stone trade/sign deal agreed to beforehand like even Bobby Mac has suggested is a possibility on radio.

Only players of interest to me within the organization that might be available in a Trouba trade are Dermott & Sandin (both would require a significant plus)......outside that they are either unavailable, too low value or poor fit chemistry wise or fills no need. Just don't see a likely fit between the two teams. I see other teams that have pieces in the East that are a much better fit and closer to Trouba desired/rumoured landing spot.

In terms of a fit, definitely not the easiest fit. His desire to stay in Toronto seems to be up in the air as well.

Hope all is well for you and the family too.

Cheers.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Hi WTFMan happy Easter.

Kadri did not regress. He got pushed down the lineup by Tavares. Stats never look as good playing on a third line compared to a second line.
Cmon man.

Reactions: teddygmr

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I don’t think the Laine would accept a bridge deal and if the Jets pushed hard for that, I could see an offer sheet coming. Connor probably won’t be going anywhere, so I wonder if the Jets trade Laine for a package and re-sign Trouba.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Then you don't know much about the assets the Leafs have because they definitely have enough to acquire a Trouba level player.

Read my post again....you clearly didn't the first time. I know the Leafs very well, I've been a leaf fan longer then most of the Leaf forum been alive.

In terms of a fit, definitely not the easiest fit. His desire to stay in Toronto seems to be up in the air as well.

Hope all is well for you and the family too.

Cheers.

Going well, thanks.

Trouba likely wouldn't have any interest in TO.....if you believe the rumours. Plus Leafs available assets arent a good fit to the Jets, other teams could out bid the Leafs offers.....especially regarding fit. Some people think value is the only factor.....it's not.....not by a far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Read my post again....you clearly didn't the first time. I know the Leafs very well, I've been a leaf fan longer then most of the Leaf forum been alive.

Going well, thanks.

Trouba likely wouldn't have any interest in TO.....if you believe the rumours. Plus Leafs available assets are a good fit to the Jets, other teams could out bid the Leafs offers.....especially regarding fit. Some people think value is the only factor.....it's not.....not by a far.

I think the return will vary depending on where Trouba is willing to re-sign. The Jets can extract more value from a team that he is willing to re-sign with long term for sure.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If you wait to move Trouba after July 1 where teams could do an extension then you would get more.
Trade at the draft and it’s likely only be a pick 11-20 or a late first+

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Something around Frost for Trouba? Although Winnipeg might need a D back to fill in for the lost of Trouba. Sanheim would be an interesting piece.

I don't see either of those pieces in a trouba deal. Philly has the pieces to acquire him and they're interested in a veteran d but where does he play? Ghost and sanheim lock down the pp and provy has pk1 so while trouba has tremendous value on the jets he'd be limited in Philly as a 5v5 partner for provy. Philly shouldn't pay full price for that. 11 gudas hogberg at the draft or myers 1st 2020 after. Are the offers ive made before and if the jets think they can get better value elsewhere im fine with that but Philly dealing multiple premium assets to fill a niche is rather unnecessary

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think the return will vary depending on where Trouba is willing to re-sign. The Jets can extract more value from a team that he is willing to re-sign with long term for sure.

Totally agree 100%......Chevy will obviously explore a trade/sign deal with all the teams Trouba would be interested in.....sounds like most eastern teams in big markets......specially Wings, Flyers, Bolts, Panthers and maybe Rangers. Trouba should be willing to play along bc it gets him his big long term deal one year sooner in one of his desired locations. If none of those teams/Trouba want to do a trade/sign keeping Trouba for one more cup push is a good option as well.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If you wait to move Trouba after July 1 where teams could do an extension then you would get more.
Trade at the draft and it’s likely only be a pick 11-20 or a late first+

Trouba was free to sign extension back on Jan 1st 2019.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hi WTFMan happy Easter.

I know three ways are tough to pull off, but if Nylander is actually on the table in such a deal (not that I expect him to be) and not of interest to Winnipeg, the Flyers make a ton of sense as the facilitator with seemingly more palatable parts for the Winnipeg end.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
What would be the cost to sign and trade him?

His contract demands may be too high though. Our insider said the team is looking for D in the 5 range.

Contract long term likely starts with a 7 or at most a low 8. Return is the big question......but Jets needs are very limited to defence (ideally IMO RHD) and a dynamic 2C.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I know three ways are tough to pull off, but if Nylander is actually on the table in such a deal (not that I expect him to be) and not of interest to Winnipeg, the Flyers actually make a ton of sense as the facilitator with seemingly more palatable parts for the Winnipeg end.

IMO Flyers, Panthers, Wings and Bolts are the most likely landing spots for Trouba.....all have been linked to Trouba rumours in the past to a greater or lesser degree and all have good pieces that could land Trouba & fill Jets needs. I don't see Nylander as a fit IMO, due to cap hit, his style, he's only proven as a winger which is the last thing the Jets need more on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad