Value of: Trouba for T. Johnson +

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Trouba being the better defenseman would be worth more than Sergachev then.

Except a) sign and trades never happen, b) even if they did the Jets still wouldn’t have the same leverage they would if they already had Trouba locked up longterm with no requirement to move him and therefore would be unable to demand the same price, and c) while Trouba is indeed the better defenseman at the moment Sergachev’s youth, cheaper cap hit, and years of team control make him the greater value and given both the growth he displayed toward the end of the season and our current cap situation I’d rather take my chances with Serg.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Except a) sign and trades never happen, b) even if they did the Jets still wouldn’t have the same leverage they would if they already had Trouba locked up longterm with no requirement to move him and therefore would be unable to demand the same price, and c) while Trouba is indeed the better defenseman at the moment Sergachev’s youth, cheaper cap hit, and years of team control make him the greater value and given both the growth he displayed toward the end of the season and our current cap situation I’d rather take my chances with Serg.

That is the biggest thing to take away from everything.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I still think something around Stralman + Foote + futures makes sense from the Jets perspective, though I doubt Stralman would waive his NTC for the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
For Trouba on a long term deal, absolutely. For Trouba with only two years of team control, when we can’t even negotiate an immediate trade and sign? Hell no. Again, Yzerman wouldn’t trade Foote for two years of Karlsson; he’s not going to trade him for two years of Trouba.

Not to mention that even if Trouba was willing to resign with us we’d have to lose two of Johnson, Killorn, and Gourde to afford his next deal. Two of those guys have full NTCs which makes the whole thing highly unlikely to begin with, and while I wouldn’t mind jettisoning Killorn both Johnson and Gourde have a good deal of value to us. Considering McDonagh-Sergachev looks to be our second pairing going forward all we really need is somebody who can play with Hedman and not be a liability; Foote should easily be able to handle that and in the unlikely event he can’t we’ve also got Cernak. So why trade a promising young defenseman on his ELC for Trouba and gut our forward depth in the process to afford Trouba’s next contract when we can simply play that young defenseman and keep our forward depth intact?
Tampa Bay is probably the most desired place that Trouba wants to land. As others have mentioned his primary residence is in Florida and his fiancee is a med student there. TB would likely be able to sign him long term at a price far below what the Jets could.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Sergachev could easily surpass Trouba by the end of this season, Tampa would be dumb to trade him for anything short of Karlsson.

Reactions: Fro

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I call for some sort of league investigation if Trouba brings back Tyler Johnson as the big piece. Johnson is a pretty good player who very well could turn into Scott Gomez in his last few years in Montreal before you know it. Plus his contract is not great.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
It’s worth the upgrade for 1 big run this year. Wouldn’t give up a Point or a Sergachev but a Foote I would.

To me, if the Jets are moving Trouba, there has to be a long term replacement coming back and that is Foote. Besides, with Hedman, Trouba, McDonagh and Sergachev, there’d be no real need for a prospect the caliber of Foote.

In my opinion, any trade between TB and WPG would have an extension for Trouba pre negotiated and agreed upon.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
In this thread: Cal Foote is more valuable than a young 1D because of reasons.

Yes, cap hit and years of team control are pretty important factors, especially for a team that a) already has a much better 1D and b) is tight to the cap. This is a pretty simple concept.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Yes, cap hit and years of team control are pretty important factors, especially for a team that a) already has a much better 1D and b) is tight to the cap. This is a pretty simple concept.
Your team is literally the poster boy for making the numbers work. Quit with that nonsense.

Foote is extremely unlikely to ever reach Trouba's talent, and even getting close to him is a tough ask.

Reactions: Snowman

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Your team is literally the poster boy for making the numbers work. Quit with that nonsense.

Foote is extremely unlikely to ever reach Trouba's talent, and even getting close to him is a tough ask.

So first grade arithmetic is now “nonsense”? Even if Trouba signed a longterm deal at his current cap hit we’d need to trade a top six forward to afford him (in addition to Miller who already has to go after next season) - and all of them have full NTCs.

And we don’t need Foote to reach Trouba’s talent - what we need is for him to play effectively alongside the best defenseman in the game and to give us several years of cost-controlled, quality performance. Which he is more than capable of doing.

Finally, if cap hit and years of team control don’t matter then we’ll take Niku for Stralman.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Can we just stop with the trouba trades
No, there will be endless completely useless and irrelevant Trouba threads because, as Hunter and others astutely point out, nothing can happen until January at the earliest when Trouba would then be able to sign a new contract.

More than likely nothing will happen this season at all, and Trouba threads will abound all year long.

Every single fan base in the NHL will look through its lost and found of odds and ends and unwanted contracts hoping to find something it can rationalize into "fair value" for a perceived distress sale of Trouba.

Chill.

This is just he bargain bin..

The real merchandise doesn't arrive until January, or later, or even later than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
Personally, I think Trouba hasn't really lost much value despite his obstinate stance on re-signing long term. He is under team control for two more years and would be more amenable to re-signing with a strong team. I don't think it's that outlandish that Tampa might have to give an arm and a leg and a Foote...Sorry, I leave now...

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Trouba would be a good fit in Tampa if he really does want out of Winnipeg, Johnson could be the center the jets are looking for and he would add speed between Ehlers and Laine. Jets fans probably won’t like the general idea (I know how canadian fans are on here) but I think a deal of this sort makes sense. Something like Trouba for Johnson+Raddysh+2nd, if jets really think Trouba is gone in fa. In normal circumstances this is an underpay for Trouba but if the jets are worried about losing him for nothing it makes sense. Thoughts?
Please... let’s get the team that already has Hedman, Sergachev, Stralman, McDonagh, and Coburn Trouba.

NHLs Verizon of Golden State if Trouba makes it there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad