Proposal: Trouba all encompassing trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I don't think so TBH. While the Leafs should be interested in acquiring Trouba, given his perceived $ demands I think they will stay away. I don't think it is in Lou Lam's style to acquire Trouba and give him more money than Rielly before he even plays a game for the Leafs while Rielly has been our guy for a while now.

Now, if the Trouba estimates of ~6m is false (or just used b/c he wanted a premium to stay in Winnipeg) and he's willing to sign for less in Toronto... Then I think the Leafs will pursue a bit harder.

Absolutely. There's no way the Leafs bring Trouba in and sign him for more than Rielly, that would be a slap in the face to Rielly to sign an inferior D man for more money.

But like you said, the $6M ask may have been a premium price for Winnipeg and it may be less for a more desirable situation. The most I'd want Trouba signed for would be the exact same deal Rielly got, but even then I'd prefer a little less.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
That was a probably a mistake, don't you think? I mean, unless you welcome camp hold-outs...

Not really. Trouba is a fantastic asset to have. It's really really sad that it played out this way. I don't blame the Jets for doing what they did to try and keep him here.

Are you still happy now that Myers is a prime reason why Trouba is being forced to play his off-side and thus wants out? Brilliant work there by Chevy.

Do people completely forget that Bogosian existed?

Yes we traded for Myers but it was a RD for RD swap. If we didn't make that trade, there's still the logjam. What if we traded Bogo and Trouba didn't pan out?

DasKaiser

Jun 7, 2016
Ok get your lowball offers in now, let's hear them all. :laugh:

Have not read all the posts, so a policies if this has been done. Book this as a done deal:

Trouba, Ehlers
for
Hamonic, Strome

Something along those lines, but it will have Hamonic, no brained for both clubs.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I don't think I buy the 'Trouba requested a trade, so he is worth less' narrative. That might be true in a vacuum, but the reality of the matter is that there are presumably 29 teams that are kicking the tires on Trouba. It's not like everyone submits their lowball trade offer and the Jets have to pick the best of the worst.

Sure the starting points have probably lowered, but really what will be happening is

Team A: We offer you Player 1 and a 2nd round pick

Jets: Well, Team B offered us X and Y, and we like that package more

Team A: Well, maybe we can work with Player 2 and a 1st

Jets: We'll see.

To presume that there is some collusion between 30 GMs that artificially depresses the value of players who demand a trade is... giving a lot of a credit to a group of people who once included Mike Milbury

I'm going to assume that this was a serious post. (Perhaps silly, I know.)

Complete strawman. No one is suggesting collusion nor is there any reason to assume that other than it lets you mock ppl (most of whom were never suggesting anything like that) or get a laugh by mocking Milbury (always approved).

The reason that ppl say that his value is depressed is because there is now more risk attached to him (will he jerk us around later too since he's shown that he'll do that?) and presumably greater urgency to trade him. The latter is a factor partly bc it encourages bargain hunters but mostly bc it makes it harder for other teams to put together competitive packages. The timing is also a negative, given than most teams have less flexibility with their rosters than they would have early this summer. Sure most teams would like to have Trouba but few have the cap space (or could create it easily). Some of those don't have the assets to make a Trouba acquisition worthwhile. And this year you have to worry about expansion which makes it more difficult to put together a deal that works for both parties quickly (and also affects how much a team would be willing to pay bc it can increase their costs if they need to expose someone else bc of the trade).

I don't think anyone is suggesting, even obliquely, that GMs are colluding to keep Trouba's price down.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Have not read all the posts, so a policies if this has been done. Book this as a done deal:

Trouba, Ehlers
for
Hamonic, Strome

Something along those lines, but it will have Hamonic, no brained for both clubs.

I see no need for Ehlers or Strome to be included. Remove them and deal

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I don't think so TBH. While the Leafs should be interested in acquiring Trouba, given his perceived $ demands I think they will stay away. I don't think it is in Lou Lam's style to acquire Trouba and give him more money than Rielly before he even plays a game for the Leafs while Rielly has been our guy for a while now.

Now, if the Trouba estimates of ~6m is false (or just used b/c he wanted a premium to stay in Winnipeg) and he's willing to sign for less in Toronto... Then I think the Leafs will pursue a bit harder.

Thing is, Trouba is worth $6M if you are buying UFA years. If the Leafs can make it happen they have to because this will setup their top pair for the next six years.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Morin and Sanheim are prospects, Did you actually read the quote from Cheveldayoff stating that he doesn't want prospects or picks. But roster ready top 4 LHD for Trouba was just wondering.

Please list all the same-aged, roster ready, top-4 LHD that are available for Trouba. It's a short list. Cheveldayoff will undoubtedly have to soften on at least one of those attributes. Sanheim is 20 and will be roster ready relatively soon and has the upside the Jets are looking for. Any offer including Sanheim is a serious one.

MDZ + Sanheim for Trouba + Petan is an intriguing offer. I'd hate to lose MDZ since it really seems like he's the real deal now. The Jets would be getting solid value there.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
2 things, the bolded is incorrect...Trouba "may become" better, but he's not right now. AND, there is zero chance the Leafs trade Gardiner+Dermott+Kap/Brown+2nd for Trouba....that's nuts.

If Trouba would sign at $5m per, or less, I'd deal Gardiner + Kap + 2nd... that's about it though.

North

Jun 25, 2009
yes thats true

but to be fair, teams dont very often make players sit out for weeks or months let alone an entire year after they have made a trade request public

it has happened but its very rare, the players usually get what they want(as unfortunate as that is)

The thing is Trouba doesn't get to dictate where he plays.

He can say no to Winnipeg, but Winnipeg will decide what teams are offering the right deal.

If he refuses to sign with those teams he can keep sitting and losing out on development (which seems to be so important to him) and money.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They handle it by driving down the value of an already compromised asset? I know you folks love yourselves some "Chevy" but at some point you have to criticize the GM. That he engineered the trade blocking Trouba's progression in the lineup should alone give you pause as to whether or not he's capable of handling this, never mind the six-month debacle the Trouba situation has become.

The Myers trade was not the catalyst, I don't think, it was the Byfuglien signing. The Myers trade was a RHD for an older RHD - if anything, it sped along Trouba's progression to the top pairing than hindered it. Signing Buff as your top RHD for 5 more years, that holds him back.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Not really. Trouba is a fantastic asset to have. It's really really sad that it played out this way. I don't blame the Jets for doing what they did to try and keep him here.

You don't blame Chevy for knowing he was in a bind and allowing it to fester since May? What would you blame him for then?

Do people completely forget that Bogosian existed?

What does that have to do with targeting Myers?

Yes we traded for Myers but it was a RD for RD swap. If we didn't make that trade, there's still the logjam.

Wasn't aware that there was a rule requiring players of one position to be swapped for one another. Learn something new every day.

What if we traded Bogo and Trouba didn't pan out?

That's a lot of excuses for a trade/GM you believe was a slam-dunk win.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
To New Jersey: Trouba and 2018 2nd round pick

To Winnepeg: Santini, Boucher, 2017 2nd round pick/Quennville, 2018 1st round pick(Boucher and Santini are NHL players and will play from the get go)

Or

To New Jersey: Trouba

To Winnepeg: Severson and a 2017 3rd round pick

I expect the 2nd proposal to be more appealing to Jets fans. Damon Severson is a hometown kid and I don't think you guys would miss a beat going from Trouba to Severson.

FlyLife

Nuthin but a G Thang
May 23, 2008
Livin the High Life
Morin and Sanheim are prospects, Did you actually read the quote from Cheveldayoff stating that he doesn't want prospects or picks. But roster ready top 4 LHD for Trouba was just wondering.

Werd, so where are those players who are actually available? That's gotta be a short list.

Sanheim and Morin are about as roster-ready as you can get for a prospect.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
To New Jersey: Trouba and 2018 2nd round pick

To Winnepeg: Santini, Boucher, 2017 2nd round pick/Quennville, 2018 1st round pick(Boucher and Santini are NHL players and will play from the get go)

Or

To New Jersey: Trouba

To Winnepeg: Severson and a 2017 3rd round pick

I expect the 2nd proposal to be more appealing to Jets fans. Damon Severson is a hometown kid and I don't think you guys would miss a beat going from Trouba to Severson.

the first one is terrible....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Only way he comes to Toronto is if he's willing to sign for less than Rielly.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Here's an idea to get Rielly that top pairing RHD he needs:

To Toronto:
D - Jacob Trouba

To Winnipeg:
D - Martin Marincin
D - Andrew Nielsen/Travis Dermott
1st Round Pick in 2017 (top 5 protected)
2nd Round Pick in 2017 (via SJ)

OR

To Toronto:
D - Jacob Trouba

To Winnipeg:
D - Jake Gardiner
1st Round Pick in 2017 (top 10 protected)

North

Jun 25, 2009
You don't blame Chevy for knowing he was in a bind and allowing it to fester since May? What would you blame him for then?

Wasn't aware that there was a rule requiring players of one position to be swapped for one another. Learn something new every day.

Are you being serious? All the things you quoted were valid reasone.

The trade was fantastic, regardless of your narrative.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think Boston or Pittsburgh would trade either of those players for Trouba as they would be getting a player of equal to lesser value on a more expensive contract (if Trouba is truly demanding 6M plus). If Pittsburgh really liked Trouba they maybe would consider flipping Maata as they have a couple solid and young LHD in Dumoulin and Pouliot, but I don't think Boston has many in reserve after Krug.

I would add a little bit on the Wild's side to make this happen with either Brodin or Scandella.

I don't see Krug or Maata as being better players. Krug is just different. Small, posts great offensive stats, not exactly a stalwart defender. Maata started out great, just like Trouba, but injuries have hurt his development.

I would take Trouba over either of those two because of his physical gifts. His contract situation would have to be figured out BEFORE any deal would be consummated. I'm pretty sure that the Pens and BOS are not in a position to take on much salary.

BOS would love to have Trouba, but not at the expense of Krug. They can't be sending Dmen away.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Are you being serious? All the things you quoted were valid reasone.

Valid, sure. Logical? Not so much.

The trade was fantastic, regardless of your narrative.

"That trade was AMAZING and I don't care what facts say!"

I have a feeling there is a slight... I don't know, bias?... behind this assessment, but I can't quite put my finger on where precisely that might originate from.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
We are both speculating as to how things went behind the scenes. I don't know what to tell you here.

Bringing in a RD to replace the RD you just sold in case your RD of the future needs some time.

Heyyyyyy wicked sarcasm there dude. You're radical!!!

Yes, I believe we won that trade. What excuses? You're building an entire narrative out of selectively bits and pieces. Are you trying to tell me that our GM has been put into a negative light based on the action of a players notorious agent during an ongoing contract negotiation? Well color me surprised!!!!! Hey....this sarcasm thing is kinda fun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille