Player Discussion Trent Frederic II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Denny Doherty
Bullshit. Complete and total bullshit.

1) Frederick has a beautiful range. And his ability to modulate across different octaves is unparalleled IMO.
2) Denny Doherty died years ago. As a result, not surprisingly his voice is a mere fraction of what it once was. Truly.

I don't mean to be a prick, but get your shit together, man.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No. Freddie can play on my Bruins anytime.

If he's a clown, he's the right kind of clown. The kind that gets in players' heads.

The Bruins have lacked legitmate physicality for FIVE YEARS. It's time they gained some again. Frederic, Miller, McAvoy, Tinordi, Ritchie. Even Carlo and Coyle.

That's a start.

You cannot beat the Washington Capitols with "speed and skill" alone. B's better understand that, or it will a quick exit.

Who's head did he get in recently? He hasn't done anything since very early on. Maybe he develops into something at some point, but as of now, he's a very limited player with a very limited skill set. What he brings to the table is not something they need to start the playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Who's head did he get in recently? He hasn't done anything since very early on. Maybe he develops into something at some point, but as of now, he's a very limited player with a very limited skill set. What he brings to the table is not something they need to start the playoffs.
lol I love it when you troll

Reactions: LSCII

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Seems to have a hockey player's identity crisis.

Am I a fighter, a pain in the ass agitator, a left wing, a center, physical, play it safe, take chances?

The guy needs a therapist.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's blatant trolling, right? :laugh:

Personally I don't buy into the cult of Frederic, whatever that is exactly. He wants to be an agitator and that's fine, but you have to earn that right in the big league. Guys he's trying to bait can just skate away from him with no loss of status, because, as an opponent I can't remember said to him a few weeks ago, he's a nobody who hasn't done anything. Start producing or at least having some sort of consistent tangible impact on the game, then you can start riling guys up and getting in their face and be taken seriously.

Purely looking at his play, I thought his first full-ish season in the NHL was ok. Started pretty well, had a little lull, went on a short burst of games where he looked like he was starting to really get it, then he got sick and never really recovered his form after that, or a regular spot in the team. Partly too he was a victim of Hall and Lazar coming in and making the battle for spots more competitive.

I think @BruinDust's point is well made that he's been asked to play a different role in Boston than he was in Providence, and it's fair to take that into account when evaluating his performance. There were games where he just mostly looked lost, his positioning was poor, and he didn't really know where to be to put himself in a position to either break up opposing team's attacking plays or take advantage of those of his linemates. When he went quiet on the fighting front the rest of his game mellowed too, and it was no good. What he seems to have missed is that you can be physical and play a hard-checking game that makes the opposition uncomfortable, without having to always be mouthing off and looking for the next scrap. Despite all that there were enough games where he knuckled down and put in a good solid effort to think that there's something there to stick with and keep working on.

He's certainly not in the initial starting 12 against the Caps, and Lazar has really limited the need for him, but he'd have to be in the mix if the Bruins last long enough and injuries take a toll. Whatever happens there, I think next season will be make or break and we'll see whether he can cut it long-term.

Trolling? Nah. Unpopular opinion to say around these parts? Absolutely....:laugh:

I just see him running around and yapping at guys and established players and they're reaction is to ignore him, which renders him completely ineffective. And rightly so. No established player is going to let him make his reputation in the league off of them. I mean people here act like he's the second coming of Lucic just because he didn't get entirely destroyed in a fight by Wilson. And that's really more of a reflection on the fans than it is on Freddy. Give him time to develop and grow and he can be a useful player. Now isn't that time though and he's more risk than upside because of his questionable decision making. There's literally zero chance of him being dressed for the playoffs if I were Cassidy. As it stands now, him running his mouth is just clownish and embarrassing.

With how he played the second half of the season, he reminds me of this scene from Reservoir Dogs:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Seems to have a hockey player's identity crisis.

Am I a fighter, a pain in the ass agitator, a left wing, a center, physical, play it safe, take chances?

The guy needs a therapist.

He needs to be a gritty, hard nosed, physical player. If that results in a fight, so be it, but he can't run around like a whack job trying to challenge everyone that's on the ice with him. A little focus would do him a world of good. Agitators are a rare breed and usually bring more to the table than being a physical player, which is why Marchand is so good at it. He can annoy the shit out of you, score a shorty, set up a beauty of a PP goal, and win nearly every puck battle he has. He can do it all, which is why he's good. Freddy is one note. Go out, hit you, challenge you to a fight, and look sheepish when that player declines.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He was from Halifax I believe
he was indeed, his pic is in quite a few locals around there. I managed the Press Gang for some years and there is still a signed picture of him in the office there as one of the owner`s and he grew up together and DD sent him a pic while he was in the Mama`s and Papa`s wishing him all the best with the new venture

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He needs to be a gritty, hard nosed, physical player. If that results in a fight, so be it, but he can't run around like a whack job trying to challenge everyone that's on the ice with him. A little focus would do him a world of good. Agitators are a rare breed and usually bring more to the table than being a physical player, which is why Marchand is so good at it. He can annoy the shit out of you, score a shorty, set up a beauty of a PP goal, and win nearly every puck battle he has. He can do it all, which is why he's good. Freddy is one note. Go out, hit you, challenge you to a fight, and look sheepish when that player declines.

Exactly!

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I like his game. And we're allowed to cheer on character and effort even if his game has some rough edges. Sand those off, develop the skills a bit more - but keep the attitude.

I'm not comparing but Nevin Markwart was always one of my favourites. Just to say I have no problem with guys who don't play a perfect game if they bring the perfect attitude.
Aww, now I miss Markwart. The NHL just couldn't have a player like him again. Probably the most reckless player I've ever seen. The epitome of 'through a brick wall'. There's a reason he was always injured.
Loved Nevin, all heart, after he messed up his shoulder fighting Jay Wells he was pretty much done. If Frederic becomes a modern day, bigger Markwart I would be thrilled

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So Trent Frederic is an enforcer now?

I like the kid. I know a few of his bantam coaches from back in St Louis, and I watched him a lot at Wisconsin. He's a big kid, trying to find a way to stick in the NHL who's willing to do whatever it takes to do so. If that means he needs to stir the pot to find a spot on the lineup, then that's what he'll do. But lets not make him into what he's not. He's not the next Milan Lucic.

Right now, he's basically another version of Adam Burrish 2.0. Hopefully he continues to develop beyond that.
Adam Burish did not have a terrible career (won a cup with the Blackhawks) , I would like more from a first round pick but the Bruins lack of size at forward makes Frederic valuable in the bottom 6 especially on the fourth line.

Adam Burish career stats
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think Frederic can improve on those, if not they are decent numbers for a big fourth liner.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Loved Nevin, all heart, after he messed up his shoulder fighting Jay Wells he was pretty much done. If Frederic becomes a modern day, bigger Markwart I would be thrilled

No self-preservation instinct and endless motor. What a beauty. No way he could've stayed healthy with the way he played and took on whoever but if he had he'd be an icon.
Didn't he mess his shoulder that last time by trying to run somebody, missing, and sliding into the boards?
For those too young to have seen him. He epitomized '110%'.

Frederic has that vibe. Can't be that player anymore in the NHL but he brings a bit of that vibe.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
He came into this season like a man possessed. Hitting everyone, running his mouth, fighting who ever was willing. But he also came with his bumps which is expected as a rookie. Taking untimely penalties and costing the team, going mia (like a lot of the team at that time) 5 on 5.

Prior to his sickness he fell out of favor. Seemed to hit a wall. You didnt see him really playing HIS game anymore. We can only speculate as to what changed but IMO part of it was that he couldnt find the line and ride it. Bruce probably had enough. Positivies werent outweighing the negatives and the leash is much shorter for a guy like him. On top of the lack of the production the team was seeing 5 on 5 in general.

With all of this being said, I think theres going to come a point in time during this playoff run, and honestly I wouldnt be surprised if its shortly after the start of this series with the Caps, where he is injected into this lineup. And if that comes, I hope we see the kid come in and play HIS game. I think he can really be a factor when he does. Hes got the type of game teams want in their lineups for playoffs. Especially against a heavy team like the Caps.

Reactions: LSCII

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Perfect "what have you done for me lately" take on a rookie who's short circuited guys who've been the biggest thorns in the team's side for years. .

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Adam Burish did not have a terrible career (won a cup with the Blackhawks) , I would like more from a first round pick but the Bruins lack of size at forward makes Frederic valuable in the bottom 6 especially on the fourth line.

Adam Burish career stats
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I think Frederic can improve on those, if not they are decent numbers for a big fourth liner.
Adam Burrish was a journeyman 4th line player who was fortunate enough to be on a Cup Winning Blackhawk team.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Trent Frederick - Because sometimes you just want to dress Animal and play him a few shifts.

e6f1227cc93685d2fbe77bdd79e43dca.gif

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He seemed to do a pretty good job drawing penalties when he was at his agitating/physical best. I have no problem with him coming in and yapping. I don’t want a quiet rookie on the 4th line. I want him to be so god damn annoying half of our board can’t stand him. He hits. He fights. It’s important to me that he remains honest as a player, I respect that he’s not a predator out there.

I don’t think he should start the playoffs in the lineup but I also think there’s a chance he works his way into the lineup and remains. Excited to see what he does next year

Reactions: b in vancouver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad