Travis Moen&Colby Joseph Armstrong thread

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Moen will be fine imo. Expected that different players would react different ways to the extended break/shortened season.

A 4th line Travis Moen at anywhere near last seasons form is exactly what every team would want in the playoffs.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't think Armstrong is as bad as some are saying but he's definitely not the player he used to be. Such a huge shame because he seems like a great teammate.

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
Ranger fan here just wanting to give my two cents. How can you guys still find something to complain about with the season you are having?!? Armstrong, I admit may not be the player he once was, but with the limited ice time he gets he's worth having for what he brings to the locker room, trust me, that's always been an issue in Mtl. As for team toughness, u may be lacking in that department, but in all honesty, I'm not sure this a team in the league that could go head to head with the Bruins in that aspect of the game. I say u guys stay the course, u're obviously doing something right!

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
Do something for God's sake!!! Subban almost got hurt with a cheap shot...:shakehead

What Subban needs is Tinordi. That way he'll have a stay at home defenceman to protect him on his pinches and some muscle to scare off any potential goons.

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
Ranger fan here just wanting to give my two cents. How can you guys still find something to complain about with the season you are having?!? Armstrong, I admit may not be the player he once was, but with the limited ice time he gets he's worth having for what he brings to the locker room, trust me, that's always been an issue in Mtl. As for team toughness, u may be lacking in that department, but in all honesty, I'm not sure this a team in the league that could go head to head with the Bruins in that aspect of the game. I say u guys stay the course, u're obviously doing something right!

Great point.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't think Armstrong is as bad as some are saying but he's definitely not the player he used to be. Such a huge shame because he seems like a great teammate.

Personally, as a fourth liner, I think he's doing okay. If anyone expects all of our fourth liners to score 20 pts each, they're crazy. Gone are the times when we had to rely on Bégin or Lapierre to provide some offense. All I care about is that they don't constantly turn the puck over and make stupid plays.

Would be nice if they could play with a bit more of an edge, but meh...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Moen and Armstrong are doing "ok"... for generic quasi-invisible 4th liners. That isn't automatically a bad thing. That said, we are at least paying Moen to be something more, and have seen him do more in the past. Hence the expectation level. I'd put him in the pressbox a game or two on this road trip and see what Dumont can do. See if it wakes him up any.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl

oh don't get us wrong we're all pretty happy! and this is probably why we're complaining about Armstrong doing nothing on the ice, because we can't complain about anything else.

Even with a W on last nights game, it's unacceptable that players like Armstrong and Moen, which we pay to hit people, both end the game without a single hit against the Boston Goons... I think Gallagher got hit 39 times yesterday, we need a little retaliation (not in a goony Bruins dirty way though)

BobbyFischer*

I think they did real good last night..

Feels good to have some big guys in the lineup even though they aren't 'super-talented'.. against teams like Boston, we need them..

BobbyFischer*

oh don't get us wrong we're all pretty happy! and this is probably why we're complaining about Armstrong doing nothing on the ice, because we can't complain about anything else.

Even with a W on last nights game, it's unacceptable that players like Armstrong and Moen, which we pay to hit people, both end the game without a single hit against the Boston Goons... I think Gallagher got hit 39 times yesterday, we need a little retaliation (not in a goony Bruins dirty way though)

Wow really? 0 hits for them last night? Crap I didn't know that...

WTH.. lol

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I hope Moen is injured because he's fallen off a lot from what he used to be with the Habs. Was one of my favorite players at one time because he was a bull on skates. He's solely a defensive player now and he's pretty expensive to be just that.

MB is obviously looking for a tough guy but wants one that can play. If we can get one more Prust-type player in the line-up, it'd help.

Our D is a little soft too. Good news is Kaberle is making himself a tradeable commodity.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Moen - I think people are a bit too critical from him, I don't think he's a fighter and I certainly don't think he enjoys doing it, so I don't expect much from him on that end. However, ending a game vs. the Bruins with 0 hits...that's unnaceptable. Like I said, I can get with the 'no fighting' part of Travis Moen's game, but at the very least, play a physical brand of hockey.

Armstrong - he's exactly what he's been the last few years...not sure what people were expecting. At this point, I think his contributions have more to do with team morale, then they do with anything he does on the ice.

You kind of understand why the Habs were interested in claiming Tom Sestito..

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Moen - I think people are a bit too critical from him, I don't think he's a fighter and I certainly don't think he enjoys doing it, so I don't expect much from him on that end. However, ending a game vs. the Bruins with 0 hits...that's unnaceptable. Like I said, I can get with the 'no fighting' part of Travis Moen's game, but at the very least, play a physical brand of hockey.

Armstrong - he's exactly what he's been the last few years...not sure what people were expecting. At this point, I think his contributions have more to do with team morale, then they do with anything he does on the ice.

You kind of understand why the Habs were interested in claiming Tom Sestito..

i'm with you on Moen, I don't want him to fight but I want him to HIT PEOPLE

and Armstrong : I wasn't expecting a "Yannick Perreault type" of skater, he's so slow it's ridiculous

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
i'm with you on Moen, I don't want him to fight but I want him to HIT PEOPLE

and Armstrong : I wasn't expecting a "Yannick Perreault type" of skater, he's so slow it's ridiculous

I expected the same player we've seen in limited time in Toronto the last few years...a player who was once a pretty useful player with a decent scoring touch, who is now pretty much done because of all his injuries and his reckless style of play over his career.

I wouldn't mind him as a 13th forward...but if Travis Moen is going to continue to be a very well paid defensive forward with no physical dimention to his game. I'd rather the Habs call up Mike Blunden or find some goon like Matt Kassian on waivers to alternate with Armstrong

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Holy ****, even after our biggest win of the season some of you are still *****ing :shakehead Did you see Paille & Campbell tonight? No and they have the same role as these two but I don't see the Bruins asking for them to GTFO. Complaining about our 4th line players is not only demonstrating how well our team is doing but also nitpicking on things that are non-issues. I checked the Ryan White thread and people said he became soft, do you want these players to just be wreckless and take dumb penalties which is what we were crucifying White earlier this year for? We won tonight's game and the one against the Leafs because we kept our cool and stayed discipline instead of making us change our game. I'm not worried about Moen & Armstrong, Moen played the same way in his first year in MTL under Jacques Martin and people were bashing him for the same reasons that I'm seeing in this thread and guess what? He showed up when it mattered the most; in the playoffs and in the last stretch of the season. That's what these type of players do.

They have been getting increasingly thankless assignments. Moen, Armstrong and White's offensive zone start %s are 33, 27.3 and 27.1 respectively. Considering their main task on so many shifts is just to get the puck out of their own zone before going to the bench, they've been doing fine.

Three well balanced scoring lines + a solid 4th line proved to be a winning recipe. Our 4th is also able to hold its ground against the top lines of our opponents and that’s mostly because of Moen.

That said, our Canadiens did not give Moen, last June, a 4 years deal at 1,9M$ per season strictly based on his cerebral play. Last season, he suffered a concussion and missed the second half because of it. Maybe it did affect his way of thinking the game.

His play lacks intensity and physical implication. Last game against the Bruins only underlined it big time for me.

A Dumont/Armstrong swap would raise the energy level of our 4th line.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Wait!? Moen's evolving..!?

Congratulations! Moen evolved into a giant *****!

Do you want to rename your giant *****?

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
Moen has been a disgrace this year. He avoids checking the opposing players all the time. I see this every game. Whenever he has a chance to line an opponent up, he just avoids the contact at all costs. And he's not half the sniper he was at the beginning of last season. So, no scoring, no hitting, no fighting either... Might as well sign some AHL goon, because, you know, he would drop the gloves at least.

I seriously don't know what's up what's up with him, guise... can some1 halp?! Wonder what's causing this... :sarcasm:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
+10.

Anyone who thinks Dumont and Moen play the same role is not watching the game.

Moen may not be delivering the goods, but Dumont is not the answer of THAT question.

I'd replace Armstrong with Dumont for a game or two. Dumont is a sparkplug who will start some **** on the iceand could force Moen and White to regain their physical game.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
After seeing Prust play this season, I still can't believe Moen has a job in the NHL. He should be doing the exact same thing Prust is doing, yet he is not doing a thing.

At least Ryan White, while being a bit undisciplined, plays a Prust-like game and will do anything to defend his teammates. Armstrong and Moen straight-out suck. A 4th line has no purpose other than being intense and physical. At this point, I'd much rather play Dumont, see what he's got.

Moen's contract was a joke and everyone knew that. What a shame. He is living on his reputation (his playoff run with Anaheim)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad