Travis Moen&Colby Joseph Armstrong thread

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I don't like both Moen AND Armstrong as our first options. Not because they are cowards or because of some nonsense slander from a Quebecor network, but because they are old, slow and not as physical as they used to be. Individually they are fine, they are good defensively and decent hockey players who let our top 9 rest while keeping the team competitive. But I'd like it more if Armstrong was the 13th forward. Prust is going to fight bigger and stronger guys no matter what though.

Our 4th line has been a strength, it can get better but I really don't understand this level of negativity.

When Prust will get injured because he fought a bigger guy or Heavyweight, don't come here saying that you still don't understand the level of negativity.

Prust in NY didn't had to fight heavyweight because guys like Rupp and Bickel were willing to do their jobs. Unlike Moen, Armstrong and White.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Dude, what are you talking about? If Prust went down, it's nobody's fault. He's paid 2.5 million dollars, and he fights a lot. Just like he did last year in NYR. He's the sherriff on this team because he's good at it. He fights. If Prust wasn't there, Moen would fight. But nobody needs to. They need to play hockey.

Prust going down could be prevented. But hey. We're winning. Let's keep everything as they are and hope for the best until the unavoidable happens.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
yeah! Armstrong and White, both -2. Moen -1. Armstrong and Moen 0 hits. Worked really fine.

Okay, you're right. Call Marc Bergevin. Get on the phone, break that **** up. Clearly this team need's a shakeup.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So because Prust is a scrapper, Moen should run around fighting? No. Prust is a hockey player who has the added bonus of being a tough mofo that can drop the gloves. It's his role on the team. It's what Therrien asks of him.

Brandon Prust fights, so Travis Moen should fight all the time? No, Moen should play smart defensive hockey. If it's necessary for him to drop them, he would. I'm sure he has his boy Prust's back.

0 hits. ZERO. HITS. Against Boston, in a physical game. How does that sound for you?

Prust usually drops the mitts 20 games per year on average, I would expect Moen to stand up and take 8 to 10 for the team per 82 games season, on opportunistic occasions. Not at the most random moments like he did against Thorburn and Crombeen this season.

That sure was fun to see McQuaid running after Eller eh?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
On a random note, I'd be curious to see how well Eller could handle himself in a hockey fight. He's strong like a bull and doesn't seem to shy away from post-whistle scrums and is usually in the middle of them.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
When Prust will get injured because he fought a bigger guy or Heavyweight, don't come here saying that you still don't understand the level of negativity.

Prust in NY didn't had to fight heavyweight because guys like Rupp and Bickel were willing to do their jobs. Unlike Moen, Armstrong and White.

Except this isn't true. Rupp and Bickel let him be more selective, but Prust still fought Lucic, Zack Smith, Sestito, Clowe, among others. Prust doesn't back down from anyone which means he's going to get beat down from time to time no matter what. This is nothing new for him.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Except this isn't true. Rupp and Bickel let him be more selective, but Prust still fought Lucic, Zack Smith, Sestito, Clowe, among others. Prust doesn't back down from anyone which means he's going to get beat down from time to time no matter what. This is nothing new for him.

Last three Prust fighs:

Joe Finley: 6'8 250lbs
Mark Fraser: 6'4 220lbs
Milan Lucic: 6'4 220lbs

That's acceptable? With Moen, Armstrong and White not doing his job + lack of a heavyweight = Prust can't be selective. He has to fight everybody, unlike in NY, where he could choose his opponent.

That's acceptable, right?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Prust fought 20 times last season.

This year, on a 82 games pace, he'd have to fight almost 28 times.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
0 hits. ZERO. HITS. Against Boston, in a physical game. How does that sound for you?

Prust usually drops the mitts 20 games per year on average, I would expect Moen to stand up and take 8 to 10 for the team per 82 games season, on opportunistic occasions. Not at the most random moments like he did against Thorburn and Crombeen this season.

That sure was fun to see McQuaid running after Eller eh?

So because McQuaid, who is a moron, takes out his frustration by challenging a guy who would obviously beat the **** out of, Moen should go out next shift and fight McQuaid? Why? Do get 20,000 Bruins fans going nuts behind their team in the stands? So that it can escalate to Shawn Thorton fighting White, and etc, and etc?

I agree with you, watching McQuaid-Eller sequence was annoying. But also because I knew Eller was jousting with his stick and would get ****ed up. It's a tough call to make, because as talented as he is, it would be nice to have a lineup of 12 guys who don't have to back down from anyone.

I don't care about how many hits Moen was marked as having on the scorecoard. Do you think the 20 guys on the team are like, "Damn, I wish Moen would have fought someone". No I bet they are quite happy taking the high road and winning the game.

The way to add more muscle to this team is through adding one or two tough defenceman instead of having eight (8!) guys who are not physically intimidating.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So because McQuaid, who is a moron, takes out his frustration by challenging a guy who would obviously beat the **** out of, Moen should go out next shift and fight McQuaid? Why? Do get 20,000 Bruins fans going nuts behind their team in the stands? So that it can escalate to Shawn Thorton fighting White, and etc, and etc?

I agree with you, watching McQuaid-Eller sequence was annoying. But also because I knew Eller was jousting with his stick and would get ****ed up. It's a tough call to make, because as talented as he is, it would be nice to have a lineup of 12 guys who don't have to back down from anyone.

I don't care about how many hits Moen was marked as having on the scorecoard. Do you think the 20 guys on the team are like, "Damn, I wish Moen would have fought someone". No I bet they are quite happy taking the high road and winning the game.

The way to add more muscle to this team is through adding one or two tough defenceman instead of having eight (8!) guys who are not physically intimidating.

ZE-RO. HITS.

There's a fair difference between running after McQuaid and starting a bashfest on the ice, and not hitting anybody on the ice against a hated rival.

The role of a 4th line is to make the opponent's life miserable and to take the body on them. This 4th line has not done any of this last Sunday, neither have they done so for most of the year.

I'm pretty sure guys like Subban, Galchenyuk, Eller and Desharnais wish they got more help from Moen when Prust already had his hands full with Lucic.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
ooooooo you don't like it:laugh:

Great response, well thought out. You don't like Moen and Armstrong, what's your idea to solve? Trade two players in the middle of the season from your team? Post a smiley face on the internet?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Great response, well thought out. You don't like Moen and Armstrong, what's your idea to solve? Trade two players in the middle of the season from your team? Post a smiley face on the internet?

We're on a hockey board to, you know, discuss hockey. If everyone kept their mouth shut because they couldn't do anything about something they see and they're not happy about on their team, this place would be dead.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
We're on a hockey board to, you know, discuss hockey. If everyone kept their mouth shut because they couldn't do anything about something they see and they're not happy about on their team, this place would be dead.

I'm all for talking hockey. If I had access to it I would happily go watch the game and follow every one of the fourth line shifts and try and look at the good things they did.

I'm asking, what is your solution? To trade these players? To bench them? Tell me, let's talk fourth line. I want to hear it.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Last three Prust fighs:

Joe Finley: 6'8 250lbs
Mark Fraser: 6'4 220lbs
Milan Lucic: 6'4 220lbs

That's acceptable? With Moen, Armstrong and White not doing his job + lack of a heavyweight = Prust can't be selective. He has to fight everybody, unlike in NY, where he could choose his opponent.

That's acceptable, right?

I'm fine with Prust getting outmatched. He fights Lucic pretty much every season. He's getting paid quite well not because he's the Manny Pacquiao pound for pound champion, but because he stands up to anyone. But I agree he should not have to fight every big lug who challenges him, and should be getting some help.

First of all, I know White is trying to learn, but the fact that he hasn't been fighting at all lately has got to be coaches orders or something and I don't it staying that way.

And yes, Moen should be fighting more. I disagree that it's his primary role, but every so often he should be willing to give Prust a break. However he's still more useful than Armstrong overall.

I'd gladly replace one of Moen or Armstrong with a more energetic player. The problem is, a heavyweight plug won't do anything to stop these criticisms since the Bordeleaus of the world should not play every game, or even half of the games.

And true upgrades are expensive. I kind of wish instead of Moen we signed Tootoo or something.

Prust fought 20 times last season.

This year, on a 82 games pace, he'd have to fight almost 28 times.

Fighting is also up throughout the league. Prust isn't even the league leader in fights. Speaking of the league leader, I do agree with others that Boll is someone who should be targetted.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Saying there's nothing wrong with Moen is what is actually wrong on this thread. There are no words to describe how much of a coward, how much of a phony he's been in the last games against Boston and Toronto. The day Prust gets hurt because mister wants to play fancy hockey, call me back and tell me there's nothing wrong with Moen.

You don't play forwards 1.8M to play "defensive hockey that doesn't hurt your team on the 4th line". He's paid to add something extra to his game, he knows it to damn well, and he keeps playing like a massive turd out there.

As for not hurting, he's the only player along with the Joker (Armstrong) who has a negative +/- ratio.

I can't believe with all this team has been through in the last 5 years that some Habs are still willing to accept passengers like Moen and how they are satisfied with his play.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I can't believe with all this team has been through in the last 5 years that some Habs are still willing to accept passengers like Moen and how they are satisfied with his play.

Let's be honest... never has it been as bad as this year though. This is embarassing.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Let's be honest... never has it been as bad as this year though. This is embarassing.

It was bad during the last two years of Martin too, remember the beating in Boston the year they won the cup? What's strange this year is that we seem hitting less than last year and MT is supposed to be a coach that likes the physical stuff. I don't know if it's due to the system the Habs play or whatever.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I had enough of Moen 2 years ago. He cant of redeem himself last year (on a dreadful team, playing top9 minutes which he should not), but it looks like it was nothing but a smokescreen of a contract year for him.

This year, Prust have been given his last year role (and is doing it 10 times better) and Moen isnt willing to play the way he got his contract.

Trade him for a physical 4th liner asap if any gm in this league still believe he can start playing well again because it wont last long.

doc lafleur

Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
Our problem come from the fact Kaberle and Weber must stay up...I'm sure he would love to move Kab and one of the 2 dogs for some real size and grit. I think Colby may have given his biggest hit of the season tonight.
I do not want to go to war with pea shooters :cry:

Slugger

Mar 6, 2013
I agree that Moen has floated a bit this year, but he's still playing defensively responsible hockey, and is our best option on wing for PK's. Hes always been a guy that steps it up on the playoffs. When we went to the East Finals, he was *****in' crushing Pittsburgh Penguins, it became evident that he was getting tired though, as that was the softest team that had ever been assembled by the time we played Philly.

With Prust and White on the team now, maybe he's taking it easy a bit, focusing on hockey more. He's still got into a couple tilly's already. I'm not sure what you guys want from him? He's been averaging like 6-7 fights a year for the last few.

Moen is a "depth" toughness guy. He's never been a guy that leads the charge in that regard, but he's there if things get hairy on he's on the ice. He's fought virtually everyone on the Bruins outside of Lucic.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The reason Travis Moen was resigned is because he played very well averaged out over his previous three years here.

He spent a lot of time on Plekanec's wing over the years as injuries piled up. He got 23 goals and 28 assists over 208 regular season games played with the Habs over three years.

He might be playing less well now, but he's doing 4th line duty, a lot of shutdown and 2 minutes a game on the PK.

He's done well enough before that I'm willing to give him time.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I'm willing to give time to Moen to but not on a scoring line....

He's suppose to be a grinder. I know Bourque is injured but com on he's no playmaker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->