Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The scapegoat cleansing process has started over in Leaf land. Keefe is out, and maybe Marner is next.

They should have started with Shanahan as he has been at the helm of this regime since its beginning and everything has happened under his watch & tenure.

If Shanny was going to step in and prevent something that would have crippling ramifications from happening, it would have been the Tavares free agency signing. It didn’t take a rocket scientist let along a former hockey player to know that committing 50% of the total cap to 4 four forwards who don’t like the physical play encountered in playoffs was a bad idea.

Its fun to watch though.

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The scapegoat cleansing process has started over in Leaf land. Keefe is out, and maybe Marner is next.

They should have started with Shanahan as he has been at the helm of this regime since its beginning and everything has happened under his watch & tenure.

If Shanny was going to step in and prevent something that would have crippling ramifications from happening, it would have been the Tavares free agency signing. It didn’t take a rocket scientist let along a former hockey player to know that committing 50% of the total cap to 4 four forwards who don’t like the physical play encountered in playoffs was a bad idea.

Its fun to watch though.
Makes no sense he wasn't the first guy shown the door. I genuinely wonder what his performance review looks like that he continues to have such a secure position within the organization.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Makes no sense he wasn't the first guy shown the door. I genuinely wonder what his performance review looks like that he continues to have such a secure position within the organization.
I think it was Brett Hull that said Shannahan was a skilled (corporate) politician and that’s why he got the job.

Reactions: SanderSen

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There is also the fact that Zibanejad needed a new contract and we were dead broke.

I hate Dorion as much as anyone here but he was put in a very, very difficult position. Dorion obviously f***ed it up because he's an idiot but he also was set up to fail; everybody knew why we "had to" trade him: he had no money and no leverage.

The mix of Melnyk and Dorion was radioactive.

I think that they knew a rebuild was coming before the 2017-18 collapse. The collapse just expedited the selloff by 1-2 seasons. They were trying to win under a budget while Karlsson and co. were still around on team friendly deals that they signed as RFAs. Then they were going to dump everbody and rebuild because they would be too expensive to keep under a budget.

They were going to harvest Zibs RFA years and then he would be sold off. They weren't giving him 6M-8M on a big contract that would buy up UFA years.

Brassard had the same amount of team control as Zibanejad, but was cost controlled in real dollars because the Rangers originally signed him to a front loaded deal. So they felt that they were making at worst a lateral move but opening up budget space. If Zib put it together, he would be gone anyways.

Zib really didn't break out as a superstar until a few years after the trade. He still had growing pains in New York. It really doesn't matter anyways because he would have been traded by Ottawa before becoming a UFA.

The above is also why I think the massive overpayment for Duchene made sense to Dorion. He saw Turris as a sunk cost because he projected the team to be in a playoff or playoff bubble spot at the deadline, and he wasn't going to trade Turris for futures. He also wasn't going to re-sign Turris. So the 1st+Bowers+2nd+Turris for Duchene was really a 1st+Bowers+2nd to rent Duchene for 1 extra year because he had 2 years of term to the 1 year Turris had. I think that he was looking at it like Turris was a sunk cost, and a 1C was the final piece of the puzzle.

Last edited:

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
How can you look in the mirror after trading Zibanejad AND a 2nd for an aging Brassard? Complete stupidity beyond belief.
I know. It's so depressing to see where the Rangers are now compared to the Senators. In 2020 they were each chasing the first overall pick. Today the Rangers are probably making the conference finials while the Senators approach the 3rd longest playoff drought in the league with no end in sight.

Having said that if Dorion didn't trade Zibanejad and a second for Brassard I am sure they would have made an even worse trade circa 2019 so we'd have something else to roll our eyes at.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
He is popular with the fan base. Similar to the Raptors president (Ugiri) .

Torontonians are incredibly hesitant to move on from people. They hang on to coaches, GMS, Presidents, etc. Heck, look at their politicians. Most end up lifers, even though scandal and the like.

Then they repatriate: Keith Pelly, and a 101 different Blue Jays guys that come and go.

This attitude is everywhere. I worked for a Toronto company. Loved it.. Never a hint of, or a threat of, firing...

It is a Canadian thing as well. Take a look at all Canadian sports teams, no one gets fired, and then only after all Hell has broken loose. Most guys recirculate in Canada.

Take a look at Canadian media, sport or otherwise. They can leave to the States, succeed or fail and then come back and all is waiting. And jump form one Canadian station to another, only to return.

As of 2020 when I did the exercise. Canadian GMS get 7.5 years. USA GMS get 4 years. Almost 2 X. USA based teams make the playoffs 2 X more than Canadian teams. (on a per team/capita bases).

You get hired in Hockey OPs in Canada it is 7-8 years. At 3, 4 or 5 year contracts. You are at 8, or 10 years of salary. Then you move to another Canadian team.

We are nice.. We lose, But we are nice.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I know. It's so depressing to see where the Rangers are now compared to the Senators. In 2020 they were each chasing the first overall pick. Today the Rangers are probably making the conference finials while the Senators approach the 3rd longest playoff drought in the league with no end in sight.

Having said that if Dorion didn't trade Zibanejad and a second for Brassard I am sure they would have made an even worse trade circa 2019 so we'd have something else to roll our eyes at.
The Rangers didn’t even do a particularly good job with their rebuild imo. But when you get two superstars who insist on playing for you and some lottery wins, it all works out.

Reactions: ColinM
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Nice comeback for the Panthers. The Bruins are more competitive than I thought they would be, but goaltending will do that for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad