Travel Thread [Football, Tickets, Sightseeing, Etc.]

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Does anyone have recommendations for flights?

Try and book direct if you can for the same price, and not matter how good a deal they offer you, don’t take any of the seats on the outside of the plane.

Honestly, the best thing to do is get an airline's credit card - if you got the credit - and rack up miles with whoever you want to fly with for the majority of your travels. Think of international airlines like United, Delta (known to be the constant best), JetBlue, British, KLM, and Lufthansa. There are better airlines like Singapore, Qatar, and Japan to name a few, but I don't know much about their destinations compared to Delta or British, which tend to go everywhere.

Yes, here are some deals that transpired last Black Friday and there are some others that happen on Cyber Monday. These tend to be part of each individual airline and these are days you know that deals will happen. The problem is anybody can get deals for airline tickets at any time of the year, but you gotta keep chequing constantly because it changes all the time. It is a very fluctuating industry and sometimes booking a year in advance gives great deals, while others are a week before. Google Flights is needed because it shows the best price among all the airlines. There are some trends you can eventually spot, early or late flights tend to be cheaper than mid-day flights (red eye tends to be the cheapest).

It is based heavily on supply and demand, but some cities are easier and cheaper to travel into. For example, travelling to Poland is very expensive, so a lot of Polish people that moved to the States or Canada tend to fly into Germany and take a train because it is almost 500 to 1000 dollars cheaper. Additionally, the time of the year can also very heavily affect the price like going to Rome or Napoli in August is a lot cheaper than going there in May. Going to London is a lot more expensive in June or July than in November. Nonstop is much more expensive than stopping once or twice, but nonstop might be more worth it due to decreasing jet lag and decreasing the chances of losing your luggage if you need to cheque bags in. Personally speaking, almost 95% of people I've seen recommend carrying light and only use carry-on bags even travelling from Europe to NA or vice versa.

E: Also Google Flights has a price calendar that shows ticket prices for your destination so you can figure out if that price is currently a good deal or if it is the norm.

Re: the airline credit cards, I would say you probably better be getting a free flight or a boatload of points up front to make it worth your while. When you do the math on these cards I’m guessing you’re getting maybe 2% back.

Google flights is a good recommendation.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I am looking for sites where I can book flights at a decent price.

Seriously?
If you want decent prices you need flexibility. Flying on a Tuesday will always be cheaper than flying on a Friday. Flying early in the morning or very late will be cheaper than midday, etc.

A few months before is usually better for long distance flights, and even though you might find great deals occasionally I would not wait for them. If you see a reasonable flight where you want to go just take it, don't wait in order to save 50 bucks. It might get a lot more expensive.

I use Skyscanner and Google flights, both are very good. Always buy your flights if you can directly from the airline, and always with the incognito mode and cookies cleared from the browser

Wow. This is going to my first time on an airplane. I am actually doing my dream trip first before doing my first football. My dream trip is an African Safari. I figured this is the best place to ask for travel advice.

I'm definitely going to take your advice.
I've done a safari in Africa. Where did you think of going? There are very different safari experiences depending how you want to approach it.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
This is honestly just the tip of the iceberg for you since it is your first time travelling on a plane. I do think your best bet is getting an airline credit card IMO, my friend has to travels all the time and she gets many flier miles to the point that she's flying for free to go see her family back in Poland. Gotta look for the best airline, as each has a different level of miles you'd be able to get. Also, don't be scared in regards to taking off or landing. Take-off will have a lot of turbulence, while landing will have some bumps in there. If you are flying from NA to Africa, you might be able to fly in some jet streams which will make the ride pretty smooth, but flying against a jet stream or unstable atmosphere (ones that cause thunderstorms) will cause turbulence. Again nothing to be scared of, but if you have anxiety maybe take some sleeping pills with you to make you drowsy. Other people get to the edge that they are hammered because of flight anxiety, but you cannot be visibly drunk or they will kick you off.

I am assuming you get the traveler card at the airport?

I was thinking having a couple of drinks or taking an edible before getting on the plane. I sometimes panic or freak out too easily. I don't want to end on youtube "Crazy chick freaking out on a plane"

What also worries me is how my head is going to react. I sustained three concussions.

Great dream trip! My cousin married a bloke who is like half South African and Portuguese and she visited Cape Town one time. She told me and showed me pictures of her trip there and it was crazy awesome. The weird thing about African Safari is that almost every country has a safari that you can do, so definitely look around which countries you want to head to because even though South Africa has some, there is no pretty area in the world than the countries around Lake Victoria. Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, and Tanzania are all top-notch in terms of beauty (based on videos I've watched), but I am not sure if they are safer than say Ghana as one example. Definitely also look at the crime stats if you are unsure which African nation you want to head to for your Safari because some are safer than others. MEGA HUGE IMPORTANT HERE, some (if not all) African countries require you to buy a visa for you to physically enter them. I am going on some medical mission trips to Africa later this year and next year and each country has a different situation and timeline to process your application for the visa. There are different prices for different lengths, but do your information on which ones you plan on wanting to visit and if they require a visa.

This might be the clinician side speaking here, but if you're going to Africa, potentially get some vaccinations before your trip. Not saying Africa is dangerous or anything like that because India and Indonesia are worse in terms of catching ugly diseases, but talk to your family practitioner and figure out if you need hepatitis or malaria (or any others) before you go over there.
I'm taking this tour here at the end of October. I am unfortunately traveling alone because everyone I know is too broke to go any trips.

I am going to apply for my visas ahead of time. I am hoping I can get my vacinations at the pharmcy because I haven't had a family doctor in years.
Try and book direct if you can for the same price, and not matter how good a deal they offer you, don’t take any of the seats on the outside of the plane.

Re: the airline credit cards, I would say you probably better be getting a free flight or a boatload of points up front to make it worth your while. When you do the math on these cards I’m guessing you’re getting maybe 2% back.

Google flights is a good recommendation.

You do get the best view when you're sitting on the wing,
If you want decent prices you need flexibility. Flying on a Tuesday will always be cheaper than flying on a Friday. Flying early in the morning or very late will be cheaper than midday, etc.

A few months before is usually better for long distance flights, and even though you might find great deals occasionally I would not wait for them. If you see a reasonable flight where you want to go just take it, don't wait in order to save 50 bucks. It might get a lot more expensive.

I use Skyscanner and Google flights, both are very good. Always buy your flights if you can directly from the airline, and always with the incognito mode and cookies cleared from the browser

I've done a safari in Africa. Where did you think of going? There are very different safari experiences depending how you want to approach it.

The Safari starts on a Friday. I can probably look at arriving on a day or two ahead of time. Did you enjoy it? It's been dream vacation of mine the moment I watched the Lion King when I was kid.

I am plan on booking the Kenya/Tanzania Safari on GAdventures.

If all goes well and I don't get eaten by a Lion, I will go on my first Football travel. I'll go watch Juventus only if Allegri is fired, or else they are not getting a penny from me. I'll go watch any other team.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Something you apply for beforehand. You can often apply for it when buying your tickets online and get a credit on your flight. It's definitely worth it if you fly a lot because it allows you to amass miles easier. If you aren't planning on flying a ton, it might not make sense for you.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I was thinking having a couple of drinks or taking an edible before getting on the plane. I sometimes panic or freak out too easily. I don't want to end on youtube "Crazy chick freaking out on a plane"

What also worries me is how my head is going to react. I sustained three concussions.
This is an example of what I am referring to...

As Bluesfan mentioned, it is great if you plan on travelling a lot, but considering that journeying is a big part of my life, I just recommend getting one. You will catch the fever of aeroplanes on your journey and will want to do it more. Definitely bring noise-cancelling headphones and think about having some Tylenol PM in stock. I've had many people ask for recommendations for sleeping pills from me and I honestly think they work the best (don't take them regularly as they are linked towards increased Alzheimer's).

Here is a report concerning your concussions,

I think I already found you Juve lol,

I'm taking this tour here at the end of October. I am unfortunately traveling alone because everyone I know is too broke to go any trips.
I am going to apply for my visas ahead of time. I am hoping I can get my vacinations at the pharmcy because I haven't had a family doctor in years.
Sucks that you don't have anybody else going with you, but you'll have a great time! Just be aware of your surroundings being just you in a new country.

You're going the Halo route, pretty wicked and I am jealous because I would love to go around that area. Again, I watched some travelling shows around Lake Victoria that includes Nairobi and it looked smooth. I found some videos for you!

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
google flights is absolutely the way to go -- I always find my flights from there. Second the getting an airline credit card -- i'd also say it depends on where you are based (like what airport is closest to where you live) as that might change the way you approach flying.

Itching to get back to Seville for a game -- want to experience the EL Gran Derbi in person (oops)...
This thread also has me thinking of the match I went to in Wellington... Experiencing a south american game is also on my bucket list (attending a match in each continent is one of my goals and halfway there).

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
google flights is absolutely the way to go -- I always find my flights from there. Second the getting an airline credit card -- i'd also say it depends on where you are based (like what airport is closest to where you live) as that might change the way you approach flying.

Itching to get back to Seville for a game -- want to experience the EL Gran Derbi in person (oops)...
This thread also has me thinking of the match I went to in Wellington... Experiencing a south american game is also on my bucket list (attending a match in each continent is one of my goals and halfway there).
Is it hard to get tickets for Sevilla in your experience? Hadn’t really thought about it, but I’ll be there a few days and looks like there’s a match against Almeria that night.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Is it hard to get tickets for Sevilla in your experience? Hadn’t really thought about it, but I’ll be there a few days and looks like there’s a match against Almeria that night.
I've found it easy enough to get tickets for those games in general, outside of the Atleti/Real/Barca games (and rivalry matches),

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

You do get the best view when you're sitting on the wing,

The Safari starts on a Friday. I can probably look at arriving on a day or two ahead of time. Did you enjoy it? It's been dream vacation of mine the moment I watched the Lion King when I was kid.

I am plan on booking the Kenya/Tanzania Safari on GAdventures.

If all goes well and I don't get eaten by a Lion, I will go on my first Football travel. I'll go watch Juventus only if Allegri is fired, or else they are not getting a penny from me. I'll go watch any other team.
Miles are nice but if it's your first time you don't really need to worry about it. It is worth if you fly quite often.

There's a chance you can get alcohol drinks in the plane as well if you need to sleep. Depends on the airline. I know it's easy to say for those that we have been often but just relax, grip on your handle if you need at take off and landing and enjoy a movie or music. If you encounter turbulence think as if the plane is a coin in a jelly, it will move but it's not going to fall or crash or anything. You will be fine.

The tour will be very cool but it might be a bit rushed, not sure if you could get another one that is 3-4 days longer? There is really a lot of stuff to do there.

For vaccines make sure to get yellow fever one, that's the main one. Also check if the area has malaria risk as you might need meds to prevent it.

I enjoyed a lot my safari trip in South Africa. I was in the Kruger National Park and I plan to go back to Africa for more in 2024 or 2025. Tanzania is my main wish 😊

Juve

May 13, 2011
This is an example of what I am referring to...

As Bluesfan mentioned, it is great if you plan on travelling a lot, but considering that journeying is a big part of my life, I just recommend getting one. You will catch the fever of aeroplanes on your journey and will want to do it more. Definitely bring noise-cancelling headphones and think about having some Tylenol PM in stock. I've had many people ask for recommendations for sleeping pills from me and I honestly think they work the best (don't take them regularly as they are linked towards increased Alzheimer's).

Here is a report concerning your concussions,

Sucks that you don't have anybody else going with you, but you'll have a great time! Just be aware of your surroundings being just you in a new country.

You're going the Halo route, pretty wicked and I am jealous because I would love to go around that area. Again, I watched some travelling shows around Lake Victoria that includes Nairobi and it looked smooth. I found some videos for you!

I am definitely going to stock up on Tylenol, electrolytes and watch all these videos.

It really sucks that I am going to be doing this on my own. I asked family, friends and even my ex-boyfriend. It's either, I am too broke or I prefer just laying on the beach, and my ex-boyfriend is a bigger princess than me. He refuses to get his shoes dirty and needs a five star hotel.

It's time to put my big girl pants on and do something ballsey for a change. I've always taken the "safe" route in life because I'm scared of risk and change. I am trying to get better at that.

I'll probably end up dying seeing f*** all if I have to wait on other people.

You found me. I think what's best is if someone were to knock me out via choke hold.

Miles are nice but if it's your first time you don't really need to worry about it. It is worth if you fly quite often.

There's a chance you can get alcohol drinks in the plane as well if you need to sleep. Depends on the airline. I know it's easy to say for those that we have been often but just relax, grip on your handle if you need at take off and landing and enjoy a movie or music. If you encounter turbulence think as if the plane is a coin in a jelly, it will move but it's not going to fall or crash or anything. You will be fine.

The tour will be very cool but it might be a bit rushed, not sure if you could get another one that is 3-4 days longer? There is really a lot of stuff to do there.

For vaccines make sure to get yellow fever one, that's the main one. Also check if the area has malaria risk as you might need meds to prevent it.

I enjoyed a lot my safari trip in South Africa. I was in the Kruger National Park and I plan to go back to Africa for more in 2024 or 2025. Tanzania is my main wish 😊

I'll think about getting the card if I survive and decide to travel more.

You guys made me think of something. I think I am going to change my mind. This is a pure Safari. It might be easier for me to get back to the airport.

You guys are the best !!!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If you encounter turbulence think as if the plane is a coin in a jelly, it will move but it's not going to fall or crash or anything. You will be fine.
When I took flight lessons, my teacher pilot described turbulence as being the equivalent to bumps in the road. Sometimes they're big, sometimes they're small. You try to avoid them but sometimes they're bigger than you expect. Sometimes the only road is bumpy.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
When I took flight lessons, my teacher pilot described turbulence as being the equivalent to bumps in the road. Sometimes they're big, sometimes they're small. You try to avoid them but sometimes they're bigger than you expect. Sometimes the only road is bumpy.
This is so well put! I wish someone told me that prior to my first long flight. Went from Toronto to Beijing and thought at multiple points that the turbulence was going to take us down haha.

8 years on I have accepted turbulence as non threatening.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So excited for you @Juve. Personally I can't stand flying but the flying itself part is totally fine, it's more spending extended periods of time surrounded by the entitled mfers that north american society produces.

Juve

May 13, 2011
So excited for you @Juve. Personally I can't stand flying but the flying itself part is totally fine, it's more spending extended periods of time surrounded by the entitled mfers that north american society produces.

I 100% get you. I hate humans too. I've already turned into what I feared the most, my nonna and nonno. 100% I'm going to be yelling out the window "Turn that crap music off. Back in my day we had Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber. That was real music"

I'm conquering my biggest fear, getting on a plane and traveling to a foreign country by myself. I hope all goes well because I'd like to go to different places and football games. I want my Indiana Jones adventures.

Juve

May 13, 2011
I booked everything!!!!! The Safari starts on October 3 - 9. I actually booked the flight with my mother's friend's travel agent. It's the exact price shown online without the stress of screwing it up. I leave Montreal on the 1st. I take the Delta to JFK with a 4-hour lay way with the Kenya Airline. I have my vaccines booked for Tuesday and now I am waiting for the visas. I am excited and scared at the same time!!!​

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Have the chance to go for Oktoberfest with friends. Very tempted
I went in late summer and never went for Oktoberfest, but I hear there are some really big negatives from people I know who went. Some of these include not being as good as people think it is, a lot of weird bans on outside stuff, so many people, getting more expensive, too many foreigners nowadays, and people puking all around. I have heard good things as well, like if you have never been, experiencing once is definitely worth it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I went in late summer and never went for Oktoberfest, but I hear there are some really big negatives from people I know who went. Some of these include not being as good as people think it is, a lot of weird bans on outside stuff, so many people, getting more expensive, too many foreigners nowadays, and people puking all around. I have heard good things as well, like if you have never been, experiencing once is definitely worth it.
Yeah - I mean I don’t get into as much trouble as I used to these days. Just trying to see a new city with friends. Either way don’t think it’ll be a bad time

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: