Travel Thread [Football, Tickets, Sightseeing, Etc.]

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
After flying over and visiting Tottenham Stadium a few weeks back, I am planning a trip next year with my nephew with a stop in Germany. If I were to attend a match, which stadiums would be most recommended? Also keeping in mind things to do around the stadium pre and post match.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
After flying over and visiting Tottenham Stadium a few weeks back, I am planning a trip next year with my nephew with a stop in Germany. If I were to attend a match, which stadiums would be most recommended? Also keeping in mind things to do around the stadium pre and post match.
@JoemAvs @cgf

How old is your nephew? I've only been to Dortmund's stadium (not during a match) and St. Pauli's stadium. Of those, I enjoyed the latter more, although that's natural given that it was for a match. That said, the crowd was great and the stadium is close to the city center. The docks there are pretty neat to walk around. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Allianz Arena. Like with Ajax, it's on the edge of town.

The upside, though, is that German public transport is very good, so it wouldn't be difficult to get into the city centers.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He's 27, was supposed to join my niece and I in London but he couldn't make that trip. Bonus trip for me. :)
Ah, okay. In that cause St. Pauli should be a lot of fun for him. Cheap beer, nice but boisterous fans, and Hamburg is a cool city. Plus you might get lucky and be able to catch a Hamburger SV match while you're in town.

Personally, I would go to a city/area you want to see and then find a match rather than go to a stadium and see a city. I will say that the Rhineland is absolutely gorgeous, but is more wine country than beer country (other than Koln) while Bavaria is traditional beer country. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't find beer in the Rhineland or wine in Bavaria.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
@cgf

I'm going to the Ruhr Valley next month and will be looking to catch a game. Checked the ticket websites of Dortmund, Gladbach, and Bochum and saw that they currently only have tickets for their pre-season friendlies and not Bundesliga matches. Have Bundesliga tickets not gone on sale yet? Or did I miss out and should I be looking to second-hand dealers?

I don't know about those clubs for sure, but I'm guessing they aren't yet selling them to the public. For example, Union is currently only selling tickets for our opening match to club members who got selected via random draw. Tickets won't go on sale to the general public until next week.

@JoemAvs @cgf

How old is your nephew? I've only been to Dortmund's stadium (not during a match) and St. Pauli's stadium. Of those, I enjoyed the latter more, although that's natural given that it was for a match. That said, the crowd was great and the stadium is close to the city center. The docks there are pretty neat to walk around. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Allianz Arena. Like with Ajax, it's on the edge of town.

The upside, though, is that German public transport is very good, so it wouldn't be difficult to get into the city centers.

I haven't been to many stadiums out west, but am always happy to recommend a trip to the Alte Försterei to anyone visiting Berlin...though St Pauli's a great vibe too.

The stadium's in the suburbs, but depending on where you're staying, that's not a long trip at all, and Köpenik S-Bahn station drops you off less than a block from the entrance to the forest that leads to the stadium.

@Bon Esprit

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't know about those clubs for sure, but I'm guessing they aren't yet selling them to the public. For example, Union is currently only selling tickets for our opening match to club members who got selected via random draw. Tickets won't go on sale to the general public until next week.

I haven't been to many stadiums out west, but am always happy to recommend a trip to the Alte Försterei to anyone visiting Berlin...though St Pauli's a great vibe too.

The stadium's in the suburbs, but depending on where you're staying, that's not a long trip at all, and Köpenik S-Bahn station drops you off less than a block from the entrance to the forest that leads to the stadium.

@Bon Esprit
I only was in East Germany during the Winterpause so I didn’t have the opportunity.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I only was in East Germany during the Winterpause so I didn’t have the opportunity.

That's a shame, though the Christmas Caroling in the stadium can be a cool alternative to catching a game.

1658496439375.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Have a good game @robertmac43 !
The game was amazing! Fantastic stadium, a great atmosphere, and great players on display. Lotomba was my favorite player to watch from a pure entertainment perspective. Todibo was also incredible to watch. He is so calm and smooth in his movements. Just seemed to control all the situations that came his way.

The bonus for me was seeing Ramsey play live. He is one of my favorite players of all time and when I went to see Arsenal a couple of years ago he missed the game due to injury.

Overall 10/10 experience. I hope to go to more Ligue 1 games int he future!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It seems I might be going back to the motherland later in the year, but I want to see some of my cousins in London and check out some EPL games at the same time, specifically Arsenal away matches. What are some rules/ways for getting away tickets? I get there are a ton of security issues to understand as well, but I rather experience the away Arsenal crowd instead of the library as my first-ever Gunner experience. My concern is if I do the NLD at WHL or something else, I will find myself with the home crowd instead of being where I need to properly be with the Gooners. I am naive about how this stuff functions pre-match, like do they all meet at pubs before away matches and then go as a group? What am I missing for the brethren who've already made the journey?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What are some rules/ways for getting away tickets? I get there are a ton of security issues to understand as well, but I rather experience the away Arsenal crowd instead of the library as my first-ever Gunner experience
Getting away tickets is tough. Most away ends are reserved for members with a certain amount of points. Points are accumulated through going to games... Tough find on the secondary market as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Getting away tickets is tough. Most away ends are reserved for members with a certain amount of points. Points are accumulated through going to games... Tough find on the secondary market as well.
Ah dang, that sort of sucks to read. So tell me if I understand it, the hardcore fans will always go see the away games and because they are hardcore fans...they tend to be season ticket holders and accumulate enough points to get reservations on away tickets? If that's true I give way more respect to all the travelling fans that go from Manchester to Southampton, Brighton to Newcastle, and Liverpool to Plymouth.

Does Arsenal as just one example sell away tickets to their fanbase? Like, does Arsenal as an organisation talk to representatives over at Nottingham Forest and say we need 5k (arbitrary number) away tickets for the match at your stadium? Then Arsenal themselves distribute the tickets to their fanbase?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It seems I might be going back to the motherland later in the year, but I want to see some of my cousins in London and check out some EPL games at the same time, specifically Arsenal away matches. What are some rules/ways for getting away tickets? I get there are a ton of security issues to understand as well, but I rather experience the away Arsenal crowd instead of the library as my first-ever Gunner experience. My concern is if I do the NLD at WHL or something else, I will find myself with the home crowd instead of being where I need to properly be with the Gooners. I am naive about how this stuff functions pre-match, like do they all meet at pubs before away matches and then go as a group? What am I missing for the brethren who've already made the journey?
It's not really a library anymore

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For the blokes who've been to England, are there any super must visits (London and around)? Seems more likely that I will be planning some extra days in the UK.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
For the blokes who've been to England, are there any super must visits (London and around)? Seems more likely that I will be planning some extra days in the UK.
Dunno man, London is probably the big European city I've least enjoyed visiting. Didn't help they were racist towards me at the airport when I left.

If I'm ever back in England I'm probably going to Liverpool/Manchester.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What do you like doing? Bath and Stonehenge are cool to see if you're into Roman/ancient Briton history. Oxford is worth a visit if you like those type of vibes. While there, you can visit Blenheim, which is where Churchill was born. British Museum is worth a visit. Really all depends on what you're going for.

If you're looking for things to do in London proper, already mentioned the British Museum. Other museums/similar include Victoria and Albert Museum, National Gallery, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, Tower of London. I think that's all I've been to, unless you count the Globe Theatre, which is a cool experience if you're a Shakespeare fan. You can also go out to Windsor pretty easily.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad