Travel Thread [Football, Tickets, Sightseeing, Etc.]

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Dunno man, London is probably the big European city I've least enjoyed visiting. Didn't help they were racist towards me at the airport when I left.

If I'm ever back in England I'm probably going to Liverpool/Manchester.
Liverpool is worth seeing; Manchester probably isn't unless you're going for the football. If you're going for tourism, I'd do like York or Durham. Or just skip it and go to Scotland.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For the blokes who've been to England, are there any super must visits (London and around)? Seems more likely that I will be planning some extra days in the UK.
If you are into history the War Museum is good. I second the Stonehenge/bath idea form @bluesfan94.

If you are open to day trips, Brighton is a short train ride away and is very nice during the warmer months.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Wife and I might be in London during mid December, the league isn't on break then, right? I'd like to catch a match, doesn't really matter who, just a place that's nice to neutral fans (I don't have a team, just follow the league on this forum). I heard Fulham might be a good place to look? When does the schedule usually come out?

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
What do you like doing? Bath and Stonehenge are cool to see if you're into Roman/ancient Briton history. Oxford is worth a visit if you like those type of vibes. While there, you can visit Blenheim, which is where Churchill was born. British Museum is worth a visit. Really all depends on what you're going for.

If you're looking for things to do in London proper, already mentioned the British Museum. Other museums/similar include Victoria and Albert Museum, National Gallery, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, Tower of London. I think that's all I've been to, unless you count the Globe Theatre, which is a cool experience if you're a Shakespeare fan. You can also go out to Windsor pretty easily.
This is good advice. I was in Windsor and Eton, I liked it for a day trip.

Reactions: bluesfan94

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I heard Fulham might be a good place to look? When does the schedule usually come out?
Probably the hardest ticket to get in London. They don't have many seats at Craven Cottage.

I would look to see West Ham if you don't have any specific club allegiances.

Reactions: Jovavic

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Wife and I might be in London during mid December, the league isn't on break then, right? I'd like to catch a match, doesn't really matter who, just a place that's nice to neutral fans (I don't have a team, just follow the league on this forum). I heard Fulham might be a good place to look? When does the schedule usually come out?
League should still be going, yes. I would just look around. Fulham is a good place to see a match, supposedly, but not a ton of capacity. Tottenham, West Ham, Chelsea, and Arsenal should have more capacity, but also more fans, generally speaking. Brentford and Crystal Palace are also in London. Can also look at lower tiers, or do a day trip.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Can also look at lower tiers, or do a day trip.
I did a lot of this while in London for the first time back in the day and had a great time.

Saw Millwall, Brentford, Leyton Orient, QPR, and then finally Arsenal in the Europa League. The experience at the smaller, lower teams was amazing each time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What do you like doing? Bath and Stonehenge are cool to see if you're into Roman/ancient Briton history. Oxford is worth a visit if you like those type of vibes. While there, you can visit Blenheim, which is where Churchill was born. British Museum is worth a visit. Really all depends on what you're going for.

If you're looking for things to do in London proper, already mentioned the British Museum. Other museums/similar include Victoria and Albert Museum, National Gallery, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, Tower of London. I think that's all I've been to, unless you count the Globe Theatre, which is a cool experience if you're a Shakespeare fan. You can also go out to Windsor pretty easily.
Big history bloke so I was at least thinking of the Tower of London, Jack the Ripper Walk, Stonehedge, the British Museum, Shakespeare, and perhaps something WWII at the very least. I just don't know if Stonehedge or Bath are tourist traps because when I did some vacations around the USA I got caught in one in Salem, Massachusetts. The Witch Trials are super overrated for what the town offers (very pretty city though).

E: I was also thinking of Windsor and heading to Edinburgh.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Big history bloke so I was at least thinking of the Tower of London, Jack the Ripper Walk, Stonehedge, the British Museum, Shakespeare, and perhaps something WWII at the very least. I just don't know if Stonehedge or Bath are tourist traps because when I did some vacations around the USA I got caught in one in Salem, Massachusetts. The Witch Trials are super overrated for what the town offers (very pretty city though).

E: I was also thinking of Windsor and heading to Edinburgh.
I didn't find either to be that much of a tourist trap. I mean, to some extent, they are, but not overwhelmingly so. Another thing I've heard is cool is Cutty Sark, but I haven't done it. The London Eye isn't worth it. As an Oxford guy, I'm going to again give it a call out. The schools have great historical value on their own, the Ashmolean is free, and Blenheim is great from a historical standpoint, especially if you do the added tours. I did the "Upstairs Tour" and it was genuinely really cool

In Edinburgh, as a history guy, of course do the castle. I also really like Holyroodhouse and I enjoyed the Royal Yacht Brittania. Something touristy but still fun is the Scotch Whisky Experience. The National Museum of Scotland is really well done.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
For the blokes who've been to England, are there any super must visits (London and around)? Seems more likely that I will be planning some extra days in the UK.
it really depends on your interests & where you are going to base yourself. When I go, I stay close enough to the tube (in London) / train station to get around relatively quickly vs trying to drive & uber everywhere.

Reactions: luiginb and S E P H

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
it really depends on your interests & where you are going to base yourself. When I go, I stay close enough to the tube (in London) / train station to get around relatively quickly vs trying to drive & uber everywhere.
Yeah, definitely recommend staying close to a Tube stop, ideally one closer to the heart of London compared to out near Heathrow or something. There are also commuter trains, but those can be a while to actually get into the heart of London. Other than Windsor and adjacent stuff (e.g. Virginia Water Gardens), most of the stuff you're going to want to see is within zones 1-3 of the tube.

stonehenge is overrated... but you gotta do it I guess.

British Museum is problematic, but also a must do.
I agree that Stonehenge isn't like the coolest tourist experience ever, but like you said, it's worth a trip to see once. I wouldn't go back, although I would go back to Bath. I feel similar regarding Hadrian's Wall, although there, at least, you can get good hiking in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am looking for sites where I can book flights at a decent price.

Seriously?
Honestly, the best thing to do is get an airline's credit card - if you got the credit - and rack up miles with whoever you want to fly with for the majority of your travels. Think of international airlines like United, Delta (known to be the constant best), JetBlue, British, KLM, and Lufthansa. There are better airlines like Singapore, Qatar, and Japan to name a few, but I don't know much about their destinations compared to Delta or British, which tend to go everywhere.

Yes, here are some deals that transpired last Black Friday and there are some others that happen on Cyber Monday. These tend to be part of each individual airline and these are days you know that deals will happen. The problem is anybody can get deals for airline tickets at any time of the year, but you gotta keep chequing constantly because it changes all the time. It is a very fluctuating industry and sometimes booking a year in advance gives great deals, while others are a week before. Google Flights is needed because it shows the best price among all the airlines. There are some trends you can eventually spot, early or late flights tend to be cheaper than mid-day flights (red eye tends to be the cheapest).

It is based heavily on supply and demand, but some cities are easier and cheaper to travel into. For example, travelling to Poland is very expensive, so a lot of Polish people that moved to the States or Canada tend to fly into Germany and take a train because it is almost 500 to 1000 dollars cheaper. Additionally, the time of the year can also very heavily affect the price like going to Rome or Napoli in August is a lot cheaper than going there in May. Going to London is a lot more expensive in June or July than in November. Nonstop is much more expensive than stopping once or twice, but nonstop might be more worth it due to decreasing jet lag and decreasing the chances of losing your luggage if you need to cheque bags in. Personally speaking, almost 95% of people I've seen recommend carrying light and only use carry-on bags even travelling from Europe to NA or vice versa.

E: Also Google Flights has a price calendar that shows ticket prices for your destination so you can figure out if that price is currently a good deal or if it is the norm.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPBolts and Juve

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Honestly, the best thing to do is get an airline's credit card - if you got the credit - and rack up miles with whoever you want to fly with for the majority of your travels. Think of international airlines like United, Delta (known to be the constant best), JetBlue, British, KLM, and Lufthansa. There are better airlines like Singapore, Qatar, and Japan to name a few, but I don't know much about their destinations compared to Delta or British, which tend to go everywhere.

Yes, here are some deals that transpired last Black Friday and there are some others that happen on Cyber Monday. These tend to be part of each individual airline and these are days you know that deals will happen. The problem is anybody can get deals for airline tickets at any time of the year, but you gotta keep chequing constantly because it changes all the time. It is a very fluctuating industry and sometimes booking a year in advance gives great deals, while others are a week before. Google Flights is needed because it shows the best price among all the airlines. There are some trends you can eventually spot, early or late flights tend to be cheaper than mid-day flights (red eye tends to be the cheapest).

It is based heavily on supply and demand, but some cities are easier and cheaper to travel into. For example, travelling to Poland is very expensive, so a lot of Polish people that moved to the States or Canada tend to fly into Germany and take a train because it is almost 500 to 1000 dollars cheaper. Additionally, the time of the year can also very heavily affect the price like going to Rome or Napoli in August is a lot cheaper than going there in May. Going to London is a lot more expensive in June or July than in November. Nonstop is much more expensive than stopping once or twice, but nonstop might be more worth it due to decreasing jet lag and decreasing the chances of losing your luggage if you need to cheque bags in. Personally speaking, almost 95% of people I've seen recommend carrying light and only use carry-on bags even travelling from Europe to NA or vice versa.

E: Also Google Flights has a price calendar that shows ticket prices for your destination so you can figure out if that price is currently a good deal or if it is the norm.

Wow. This is going to my first time on an airplane. I am actually doing my dream trip first before doing my first football. My dream trip is an African Safari. I figured this is the best place to ask for travel advice.

I'm definitely going to take your advice.

Reactions: Evilo and S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow. This is going to my first time on an airplane. I am actually doing my dream trip first before doing my first football. My dream trip is an African Safari. I figured this is the best place to ask for travel advice.

I'm definitely going to take your advice.
Definitely, and I mean definitely Youtube videos because I think you can make a college degree by knowing the airline industry it is so convoluted.

Wolters World is a must and he has sets on how to travel, how to pack, and anything else you might not be considering right now. Just search topics on his video page that you are unsure about. Here are some others as well.

This is honestly just the tip of the iceberg for you since it is your first time travelling on a plane. I do think your best bet is getting an airline credit card IMO, my friend has to travels all the time and she gets many flier miles to the point that she's flying for free to go see her family back in Poland. Gotta look for the best airline, as each has a different level of miles you'd be able to get. Also, don't be scared in regards to taking off or landing. Take-off will have a lot of turbulence, while landing will have some bumps in there. If you are flying from NA to Africa, you might be able to fly in some jet streams which will make the ride pretty smooth, but flying against a jet stream or unstable atmosphere (ones that cause thunderstorms) will cause turbulence. Again nothing to be scared of, but if you have anxiety maybe take some sleeping pills with you to make you drowsy. Other people get to the edge that they are hammered because of flight anxiety, but you cannot be visibly drunk or they will kick you off.

Great dream trip! My cousin married a bloke who is like half South African and Portuguese and she visited Cape Town one time. She told me and showed me pictures of her trip there and it was crazy awesome. The weird thing about African Safari is that almost every country has a safari that you can do, so definitely look around which countries you want to head to because even though South Africa has some, there is no pretty area in the world than the countries around Lake Victoria. Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, and Tanzania are all top-notch in terms of beauty (based on videos I've watched), but I am not sure if they are safer than say Ghana as one example. Definitely also look at the crime stats if you are unsure which African nation you want to head to for your Safari because some are safer than others. MEGA HUGE IMPORTANT HERE, some (if not all) African countries require you to buy a visa for you to physically enter them. I am going on some medical mission trips to Africa later this year and next year and each country has a different situation and timeline to process your application for the visa. There are different prices for different lengths, but do your information on which ones you plan on wanting to visit and if they require a visa.

This might be the clinician side speaking here, but if you're going to Africa, potentially get some vaccinations before your trip. Not saying Africa is dangerous or anything like that because India and Indonesia are worse in terms of catching ugly diseases, but talk to your family practitioner and figure out if you need hepatitis or malaria (or any others) before you go over there.
My two weeks in London in October overlaps with Arsenal’s visit to the Bridge. Preparing to ditch a kidney.
London in October? Ewww, but I hope you had a good one.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad