Travel Thread [Football, Tickets, Sightseeing, Etc.]

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The trip to Paris/Lyon/Amsterdam was incredible. Lots of people in France for the World Cup of Rugby. Was unseasonably hot and humid in Paris and Amsterdam, mid 85' and very muggy. Then it was dry and a much more comfortable 95 in Lyon. We ate so well and I still lost 7 pounds from sweating non-stop.

Also, I have reached the age where I slip and fall in the shower. Had to go to urgent care when I got home when the bruise spread to my hip and entire right ass cheek (no photos, please). Didn't break anything, but nothing like reaching that point in life. LOL

Most importantly my nephew had the best trip of his life, so it's all good

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Chelsea-Arsenal sold out before it got to Member sale (they gave priority to Members with Loyalty Points). So no derby for Wee Baby Seamus :(

Still seeing the Chelsea Women, and I'll find a good West London pub to catch the Arsenal match at.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Munich is outstanding. Leaving today but the trip absolutely exceeded my expectations. Some of the surrounding villages were great too. Went up a place about 45 minutes by train yesterday And now I want to retire there . Great trip. Oktoberfest very fun and very overpriced have some good stories. Best thing I at was a doner kebab at this whole in the wall. That was unbelievable. Sad to be going but traveling at least the next 11 hours so you can AMA if you are bored because I sure as hell be until my “sleep-aids” kick in

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Munich is outstanding. Leaving today but the trip absolutely exceeded my expectations. Some of the surrounding villages were great too. Went up a place about 45 minutes by train yesterday And now I want to retire there . Great trip. Oktoberfest very fun and very overpriced have some good stories. Best thing I at was a doner kebab at this whole in the wall. That was unbelievable. Sad to be going but traveling at least the next 11 hours so you can AMA if you are bored because I sure as hell be until my “sleep-aids” kick in
Hole in the wall doner is the best type of doner.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hole in the wall doner is the best type of doner.
It was unbelievable. As soon as I walked in and it had that pizzeria smell I knew the place was going to be amazing. I was not disappointed. I think it literally said “Worlds Best Kebap” on the awning

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 7

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I am leaving at 2 am. My flight leaves at 6 am. I am excited and petrified at the same time. I loaded my tablet with all my favorite horror movies, excluding Final Destination and Hostel. Those I'll watch when I return. I am still on the fence with Snakes on Plane.

In case something happens, it was a pleasure to communicate, discuss and argue with all of you. Please continue my legacy and curse the name of Allegri.

Juve

May 13, 2011
I returned home yesterday. It was honestly the vacation from hell. What could go wrong can wrong will go wrong type of situation. It started off badly when I was puking my brains out after taking off from New York to Kenya. It was a horrible 15 hours of my life, I was ready to parachute myself out of the plane. I was unable to digest any food. I was only able to eat toast, some veggies and fruit. I kept puking the Malaria pills. I had to take gravel 30 minutes before eating and take the malaria pills. To top it all off, I catch a cold! Cough, sneezing, congestion, and sore throat. The safari part was awesome, but unfortunately, the rest ruined it for me.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So sorry to hear that !
Did you at least catch some good pictures of your safari? Was the hotel decent? Except for the plane, rest was great no?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I returned home yesterday. It was honestly the vacation from hell. What could go wrong can wrong will go wrong type of situation. It started off badly when I was puking my brains out after taking off from New York to Kenya. It was a horrible 15 hours of my life, I was ready to parachute myself out of the plane. I was unable to digest any food. I was only able to eat toast, some veggies and fruit. I kept puking the Malaria pills. I had to take gravel 30 minutes before eating and take the malaria pills. To top it all off, I catch a cold! Cough, sneezing, congestion, and sore throat. The safari part was awesome, but unfortunately, the rest ruined it for me.
Omg that is awful to hear! Airports suck for that reason because disease travels around quicker and the majority of people are really hygienic. But it could've been worse, you could've had the flu or a worse-off disease besides a cold. Just plan a trip to another safari in another city like 4-6 years from now. Did the flight make you dizzy or was it the pills?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

:( oh man, so sad to hear that. on the bright side, next time can only be better!!

Juve

May 13, 2011
I'm in the hospital right now. My dream trip turned into a nightmare. I'm waiting to tests for bronchitis, pneumonia and malaria.

My next vacation is going to be a place where I can eat food without running to the bathroom, no vaccines or pills needed.

• Wow
Reactions: gary69 and S E P H

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Back to England this weekend for a quick trip. Leaving Friday night, returning Sunday (yay airline flight benefits!).

Driving down to the South Coast to see my Pompey. Hoping to finally see my first win, been going since 2017.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Oh wow, so sorry to read that !

It's cool. I tested negative for pneumonia and pulmonary embolism. I have a viral bronchitis and inflamed lungs. That's why the antibiotics didn't work. I was prescribed two pumps and a stronger anti-nausea for the the malaria pills. I still have to take them. This viral bronchitis could last 4-6 weeks.

• Wow
Reactions: S E P H

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Friends, I need help.

I'm back in London later this month. I am unfortunately unable to catch Chelsea-Burnley at Stamford Bridge.

Two fixture options:

1. England v. Belgium - friendly at Wembley.
2. Chelsea Women v. Ajax Women - UCL quarter-final at Stamford Bridge.

Definitely leaning to the latter, but would love takes. Can't do both because I'm only there for so long and trying to maximize time with my partner who I haven't seen in a few months (also why I'm not going to Chelsea-Burnley, as it's the day before I leave and I can't spend my last day there at Stamford Bridge).

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Friends, I need help.

I'm back in London later this month. I am unfortunately unable to catch Chelsea-Burnley at Stamford Bridge.

Two fixture options:

Definitely leaning to the latter, but would love takes. Can't do both because I'm only there for so long and trying to maximize time with my partner who I haven't seen in a few months (also why I'm not going to Chelsea-Burnley, as it's the day before I leave and I can't spend my last day there at Stamford Bridge).
I would personally go to England vs Belgium

But I'm not a Chelsea fan and you are, and the women UCL match is a competitive fixture unlike England vs Belgium

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Friends, I need help.

Two fixture options:

I cannot recall - have you been to Stamford Bridge before?

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I cannot recall - have you been to Stamford Bridge before?
I haven't! Did a stadium tour once while there during the offseason, but never caught a game.

Opted for Chelsea Women. First time at the Bridge and a greatly meaningful fixture (Champions League is top priority for them this season). And my partner (who doesn't like sports whatsoever) had a lot of fun when we saw them at Kingsmeadow, and so there'll be some nice continuity there.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I haven't! Did a stadium tour once while there during the offseason, but never caught a game.

Opted for Chelsea Women. First time at the Bridge and a greatly meaningful fixture (Champions League is top priority for them this season). And my partner (who doesn't like sports whatsoever) had a lot of fun when we saw them at Kingsmeadow, and so there'll be some nice continuity there.
I think that's the right call. I've done a tour of the Emirates and I've caught a match there, and while the tour was great, matchday is something altogether different. Have fun!

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

I've never been to SF, but it's one of my favorite stadiums, it seems so cozy lol

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I woud have done the same. High stakes game at the home stadium. It makes too much sense.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Missed Ajax by a day when I was in Amsterdam in January. Wish I'd gotten the chance to catch a game.
Tragic! I was very fortuitous with my summer trip to Germany in 2022 - the season started early because of the Winter World Cup, and so I was able to catch BVB at a time of year where it would be unlikely for there to be a fixture.

I'm in Ireland and Scotland overlapping with part of the Euros this summer - it is of the utmost importance that Scotland get out of the group, as I arrive in Glasgow on the 26th and their last group game is the 23rd. Need to hit the pubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad