GDT: Training Camp Thread 2013 - It's Back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
And he's one of four potential franchise players we have for the next decade plus. :naughty:

That thought makes me giddy.

No kidding, I feel the same way.

It will likely be Gagner and Hemsky on the PP on the opposite side feeding him passes, so hopefully they get chemistry early.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Tambo was on Hockey Central at Noon and I got the impression from him that MPS is probably going to be slotting in on the third and fourth line from now on. He apparently wants him to work on being a penalty killer and more of a old style power forward.

To me the Hartikainen versus MPS battle for a 3rd line RW spot is the most interesting battle in training camp, more interesting than the Potter/Fistric/Peckham battle for 6D.

Tambo might see MPS ahead of Hartikainen, but reading between the lines I'm starting to think Krueger sees Harti ahead of MPS:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
#Oilers PP units remain consistent with Eberle-RNH-Hall-Hartikainen-Schultz and Hemsky-Gagner-Smyth-Whitney-Yakupov

Clue 1, Harti practicing with a PP unit, whereas clue 2 is I do not believe MPS is practicing with one of the top 2 PK pairs of forwards. Though I can't see Eager killing penalties so someone is going to be on both PP and PK, and I can't see it being Smyth since they're trying to keep his minutes down.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
If Tambellini thinks that Paajarvi is a better fit on the 3rd line with Horcoff and Smyth than Hartikainen, and Kreuger thinks that Hartikainen is a better fit on the powerplay than Paajarvi, then I agree with both of them.

Personally, I'd rather see Hartikainen in Eager's spot on the 4th line with Paajarvi on the 3rd in the spot Hartikainen is currently in.

Also, I think that would be the first time I can ever remember where we'd have all 12 forwards being able to contribute on special teams.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
LOL

1 hour ago
TSNRyanRishaug: Two off the head for Dubnyk today. Hall first, now Gagner

That's at least twice in the past week that Hall has clobbered Dubnyk in the melon with a shot during practice. :laugh:

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
I can see Paajarvi on the third line in the future. I believe there was some discussion in previous seasons that he may be the next Radek Dvorak type.

THere's some discussion this season. It's a common comparable that he's being compared to at the current moment in time.
Fast, strong, defensively responsible with decent hockey IQ. Can't complain to badly about that.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
LOL

1 hour ago

That's at least twice in the past week that Hall has clobbered Dubnyk in the melon with a shot during practice. :laugh:

"We're gonna have to use our heads"

"But I don't wanna use my head!"

We could start calling him Rex.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
"We're gonna have to use our heads"

"But I don't wanna use my head!"

We could start calling him Rex.

Toy%20Story%203%20wp1_rex_ts3.jpg

I don't like confrontations!

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
If Tambellini thinks that Paajarvi is a better fit on the 3rd line with Horcoff and Smyth than Hartikainen, and Kreuger thinks that Hartikainen is a better fit on the powerplay than Paajarvi, then I agree with both of them.

Personally, I'd rather see Hartikainen in Eager's spot on the 4th line with Paajarvi on the 3rd in the spot Hartikainen is currently in.

Also, I think that would be the first time I can ever remember where we'd have all 12 forwards being able to contribute on special teams.

I agree with you in principal, but if I can pick only 1 guy to stay in NHL while the other guy goes down to the AHL, I'd like to see Harti in the NHL and MPS in the AHL until an injury hits. Lots is made of MPS defensive mindset, but I'm not sure that he's actually much if any better than Harti without the puck; it's just we always focus on Harti being good around the opposition net, and MPS being horrible around the opposition net, and so they are somewhat typecast by that. In reality, I think Harti might simply be as good without the puck, and inversely he might not be as good offensively in the NHL as I/many of us hope. But right now, I'm inclined to believe Harti is the better overall player, and the most NHL ready.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
LOL

1 hour ago

Gregor was just asking Dubnyk about that the other week. Said he ducks when Hall shoots, but Eberle is like a floater so he's okay.

Turrican*

Why do those stupid young kids want to kill Dubnyk?

DID DANIS PAY THEM OFF?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I can see Paajarvi on the third line in the future. I believe there was some discussion in previous seasons that he may be the next Radek Dvorak type.

Dvorak could score, though. PRV's complete inability to generate offence should be a major cause for concern.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Dvorak could score, though. PRV's complete inability to generate offence should be a major cause for concern.

Aside from his one ridiculous season his goal totals wouldn't be that out of reach for MPS. While I agree he won't produce as much offense I bet it's close if he gets a legitimate shot and not 4th line minutes.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Aside from his one ridiculous season his goal totals wouldn't be that out of reach for MPS.

Based on PRV's performance in the last two seasons, I wouldn't be so sure. Guys who have trouble in teh AHL generally don't put up numbers in the NHL.

While I agree he won't produce as much offense I bet it's close if he gets a legitimate shot and not 4th line minutes

I'm interested to see PRV this year. If he can focus more on playing away from the puck, he could be valuable in a shutdown role. i agree he has a great set of tools, I'm just not sure he knows how to put it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad