GDT: Training Camp Thread 2013 - It's Back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Reading to the end of the article... Horcoff already questionable and the season hasn't even started. Told ya all he should have been bought out already. :)

Now you'll all have to listen all season to *******s like me going on and on about him... at least he might not be in the lineup on opening night. Treasure the reprieve. :)

Nexttothemoon, why buy out Horcoff now? We only get to save 900k on the cap. Plus he can fill in adequately on the 3rd line. I think it makes more sense to buy him out after the season. Get rid of his cap hit altogether and get a season out of him for the money we will give him one way or another. Just saying.....

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
There were only 7 defencemen in the league last year (with 50 GP) that got scored on more often than Potter. I'm not sure how anyone can say he had a "pretty respectable" year. He was by far the worst on our defence in terms of getting scored on, averaging 3.02 goals against per 60 even strength minutes played. Even Barker only allowed 2.39 goals against per 60 even strength minutes played.

Koto

May 3, 2011
The underrating of Yakupov, and the overrating of Galchenyuk is really starting to get on my nerves.

Honestly im starting to be scared we were wrong....Gally looks GOOD.

but yak was definitely the correct smart pick at the time.

We need to chill out with lineup decisions. Everyone will play. Krueger is likely sitting Fistric because of Vans speed. Dallas did the same thing with him. Sit him against speedy teams and play him against the rest. That strategy utilizes Fistrics strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

Man this is going to be a Long season lol

because potter has wheels?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
East vs West...it's always been that.

And the hypocrisy about it is so blatant

Hall sucks because he's injured and therefore, Sequin is the better player

Galchenyuk is better than Yakupov.
-but Galchenyuk was injured
Doesn't matter, still better than Yakupov

:shakehead

Don't forget that Turris is miles ahead of Gagner because, um...well just because they say so.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

Gally looks good, Yakupov looks significantly better. I can only think of a couple players in the league that can shoot a puck like Yakupov does; between the two of them, they've taken home 4 of the last 5 Richard trophies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Don't forget that Turris is miles ahead of Gagner because, um...well just because they say so.

Numbers don't matter but whatever. I just hope the Oil this year makes the playoffs and even if they get ousted in first round, at least they made it.

That alone, would be enough to shut the haters up.

Then again, we'll get the "one hit wonder" thing...

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Numbers don't matter but whatever. I just hope the Oil this year makes the playoffs and even if they get ousted in first round, at least they made it.

That alone, would be enough to shut the haters up.

Then again, we'll get the "one hit wonder" thing...

We could win the cup and all we'd hear is "Shortened season" and "Tanked to get good"

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Potter over Fistric? Just when I was starting to think Krueger was making all the right moves.

Unless they are showcasing him for an early trade so Peckham can stay.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Dumb decision, truly.

Gally looks good, Yakupov looks significantly better. I can only think of a couple players in the league that can shoot a puck like Yakupov does; between the two of them, they've taken home 4 of the last 5 Richard trophies.

This is one thing I take solace in. Yak has the complete, polished offensive arsenal. Ridiculous shot, not just one kind, but all of them basically. Can create offense himself and has proven to be a good playmaker as well. His elite shot is what clearly seperates him though. He is the definition of dynamic. I am so excited to see him play.

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Why are we surprised? Despite what a few MSM people were saying, Ralph isn't a moron. If he planned to play Fistric opening day then he would have been skating all week with a top 5 guy.

The only benefit is that Potter is so bad that he can't possibly stay in the lineup or more than a couple games, can he?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Why are we surprised? Despite what a few MSM people were saying, Ralph isn't a moron. If he planned to play Fistric opening day then he would have been skating all week with a top 5 guy.

The only benefit is that Potter is so bad that he can't possibly stay in the lineup or more than a couple games, can he?

If he has another good stretch to start the year then it's fine; the Oilers will get some points out of it.

Krueger just needs to be able to recognize when to pull the plug before it's too late.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Yakupov's twitter is hilarious. You gotta love the guys on this team, adding a character like him makes this team even more likeable. I hope we are on 24/7 at some point with this core.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
We need to chill out with lineup decisions. Everyone will play. Krueger is likely sitting Fistric because of Vans speed. Dallas did the same thing with him. Sit him against speedy teams and play him against the rest. That strategy utilizes Fistrics strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

Man this is going to be a Long season lol

Yup, we've returned from *****ing about the lockout, to almost everyone here assuming they know so much more than NHL coaches.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

haha .. imagine the reaction on this board had we passed on both Yak and Murray and selected Galchenyuk 1st overall..

On a stack US team where they were scoring 5+ goals everyother game, Galchenyuk could not outscore Yakupov at WJHC. If Galchenyuk becomes the better play in future then good for him but picking him 1st overall would have been stupid.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Yup, we've returned from *****ing about the lockout, to almost everyone here assuming they know so much more than NHL coaches.

So what is your justification for starting Potter over Fistric?

It sure as hell isn't speed like the poster you quoted is saying. Potter is one of the slowest skaters on the team.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So what is your justification for starting Potter over Fistric?

It sure as hell isn't speed like the poster you quoted is saying. Potter is one of the slowest skaters on the team.

Is it confirmed that Potter is playing ?
If he is then I am sure he proved his worth to the coaching staff ..
The guy was pretty good before he signed the extension so if the coaching staff feels that he is better than someone who the GM just traded for and someone who the fans would love to see then I am sure Potter must have performed like his pre-extension self.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The guy was pretty good before he signed the extension so if the coaching staff feels that he is better than someone who the GM just traded for and someone who the fans would love to see then I am sure Potter must have performed like his pre-extension self.

Offensively he was good at the start. Defensively he was not. Then his offense dried up. Now he should be behind Schultz, Petry and Whitney for puck movers. Unless he's being showcased, I don't understand why Potter would be in the lineup. He bleeds goals.

Renney is in Detroit, and loves Potter for some reason. The Wings seem to be looking for d-men, and reportedly like what they saw from Omark this season. Perhaps we can package Omark and Potter for a pick or something?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

Potter started sucking in early November last year, the extension didn't come until January.

He played 12 good games and 50 terrible ones. I wouldn't count on him playing like he did in that 12 game stretch, especially since he is a career AHLer. I'd expect him to play like he did in the last 50 games, since that is the level he has played at for his whole career (hence why he was never in the NHL).

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Yakupov's twitter is hilarious. You gotta love the guys on this team, adding a character like him makes this team even more likeable. I hope we are on 24/7 at some point with this core.

No kidding, and the other guys seem to really like him and they get along well.

Sam, Ebs, Hallsy, RNH, Schultz, and Yak all seem to be enjoying the company. Now we just need to start winning a bit and this team will be a great group of guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad