GDT: Training Camp Thread 2013 - It's Back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
That last shot he took, no goalie, any where on the planet saves that. Across the ice, top corner, about 95mph. Disgusting. The powerplay up here is going to make the one in OKC look like Columbus'

The across-the-goalie shot seems to be a unique ability he has. Looking forward to see a good goalie standing there like he just got slapped in the back of the head.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's nice to see Yak, Schultz and all the young guys getting on so well with each other. You never quite know how team dynamics and chemistry will change when new players come in... and jobs on the roster are shifted. They have Hartikainen and Fistric as well... so I'm just hoping everyone adapts well to their roles and gets along well... both on and off the ice.

Yak has a very out there and fun/full-on personality and there was always a small chance that he might not mesh well with some teammates. It probably helps that the core is all so young and they'll basically grow up together.

Just hypothesizing wildly here now but I would think the young ones and the vets might get along the best... the youngest ones know they are the future of the team and guys like Khabi, Horcoff and Smyth know their time with the team is limited... it's the middle group that are in some cases fighting for jobs that might not have the best chemistry... or not. Not trying to read more into things than that because it all looks good so far.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Anyone else see this on the Oilers site? I thought this would be the best place to put this.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=651099&navid=DL|EDM|home

SOMETHING DIFFERENT

Since the D pairings continue to be consistent, it seems as though Mark Fistric will sit out on Sunday vs. Vancouver. Corey Potter appears to have won the sixth spot (for now) and will likely be paired with Ryan Whitney.

Nothing is official yet about the opening night lineup and this is more speculation than anything, but if true...c'mon man!

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Anyone else see this on the Oilers site? I thought this would be the best place to put this.

Nothing is official yet about the opening night lineup and this is more speculation than anything, but if true...c'mon man!

Potter started the season off really well, he just started to trend downwards bad. Plus we are going to have to spot defenseman in and out of the lineup all season.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

Embarrassing.

Potter was one of the worst defencemen in the league last season. We had a nine month long off-season to improve our defence and he is still in the lineup. Does our management and coaching staff seriously think a career AHLer is going to cut it on defence? I thought we want to be competitive this year?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Embarrassing.

Potter was one of the worst defencemen in the league last season. We had a nine month long off-season to improve our defence and he is still in the lineup. Does our management and coaching staff seriously think a career AHLer is going to cut it on defence? I thought we want to be competitive this year?

Agreed. Potter ahead of Fistric is outright embarrassing. No other word for it.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

It's even worse considering we are playing Vancouver. We need the toughness that Fistric brings.

I'm sure they'll try to fix that issue by plugging a useless Hordichuk in the lineup. Maybe if he plays more than 3 minutes he will get in a pointless staged fight against Vancouver's goon. I'm sure that will scare their skilled players. Maybe if we are really lucky he will throw one of these again.

That'll show them!

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Reading to the end of the article... Horcoff already questionable and the season hasn't even started. Told ya all he should have been bought out already. :)

Now you'll all have to listen all season to *******s like me going on and on about him... at least he might not be in the lineup on opening night. Treasure the reprieve. :)

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Potter's taking some heat in this thread, in my opinion a bit unwarranted.

I get the argument for Fistric, but Potter was a better player last year, IMO, than many are remembering. It's possible the Oilers just want Fistric to get a bit more time with their defensive systems, it's possible that they simply prefer having another right shot D in the lineup ahead of a LH D in Fistric who would be playing out of position on the right side. I've read that Fistric can play the right side, but isn't as good as he is on the left side (no idea if that's true)?

It also makes sense on some level to work on building your strengths - Potter is a huge upgrade in terms of puck moving over Fistric and maybe the idea is to get the puck up ice as quickly as possible to the forwards, and they are willing to trade some toughness for some puck moving skills?

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Reading to the end of the article... Horcoff already questionable and the season hasn't even started. Told ya all he should have been bought out already. :)

Now you'll all have to listen all season to *******s like me going on and on about him... at least he might not be in the lineup on opening night. Treasure the reprieve. :)

He has the flu! Geez

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Let me add myself to the chorus of boos for having Potter over Fistric. Potter had trouble for a guy with a relatively big frame handling NHL forwards physically, and his angles weren't very good. His puck moving skills are not particularly great. What he brought was a big shot from the back end. What it feels like is pressure from management to have this guy in the lineup to justify the one way, 2 year (someone please correct me if this is wrong) extension he received.

I sincerely hope that as the compressed season wears on, the coaches will see the value of a banging, defensively focused Fistric over a one dimensional Potter. :help:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Potter's taking some heat in this thread, in my opinion a bit unwarranted.

I get the argument for Fistric, but Potter was a better player last year, IMO, than many are remembering. It's possible the Oilers just want Fistric to get a bit more time with their defensive systems, it's possible that they simply prefer having another right shot D in the lineup ahead of a LH D in Fistric who would be playing out of position on the right side. I've read that Fistric can play the right side, but isn't as good as he is on the left side (no idea if that's true)?

It also makes sense on some level to work on building your strengths - Potter is a huge upgrade in terms of puck moving over Fistric and maybe the idea is to get the puck up ice as quickly as possible to the forwards, and they are willing to trade some toughness for some puck moving skills?

I agree with this.

Since Fistric is so new, and Potter does know the defense systems at work, Kreuger is probably going to go with the Devil he knows. I also agree that people are being a little to hard on Potter. I thought he had a pretty respectable year last year, except for maybe a stretch of games in the middle of the season.

I want to see Fistric play as much as anyone here, but I'm going to trust coach Kreuger's call on this.

Maybe I'm not an expert like many on this forum seem to think they are though. :D

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The underrating of Yakupov, and the overrating of Galchenyuk is really starting to get on my nerves.

Why let it bother you?

Let Yak fly under the radar.
I wouldnt want to be Galchenyuk in Montreal if he doesn't light it up out of the gate.

Sexington

Feb 6, 2007
Calgary, AB
Embarrassing.

Just wait until the first injury hits and they are both in the starting lineup.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I agree with this.

Since Fistric is so new, and Potter does know the defense systems at work, Kreuger is probably going to go with the Devil he knows. I also agree that people are being a little to hard on Potter. I thought he had a pretty respectable year last year, except for maybe a stretch of games in the middle of the season.

I want to see Fistric play as much as anyone here, but I'm going to trust coach Kreuger's call on this.

Maybe I'm not an expert like many on this forum seem to think they are though. :D

Also, there might be a point in letting a guy earn his position on the team not just immediately give him a spot. Ok if you bring in someone like Stamkos, that's different, but if you bring in a guy for your bottom pair it's probably smart to not just hand him the spot if you wanna keep everyone happy and on their toes.

Besides we're going to see a lot of differrent line ups this season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Potter's biggest claim to fame last season was his work on the PP early on. With Schultz, a supposedly healthy Whitney, and a year older Petry already on the club, I'd rather he be carried as the #7 or #8 d-man than as the #6 unless we are decimated with injuries. Without Fistric or a motivated Peckham our defense is pretty soft sans Smid and Petry who are on the same pairing. Both Schultz' are guys that rely on their positioning, skating, and their sticks much more so than their brawn to play defense. Whitney is a bigger guy but not the most physical either albeit more so than Schultz squared. While Potter is a big guy and can play physical he doesn't bring the same physical/intimidation dimension that Fistric does.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
We need to chill out with lineup decisions. Everyone will play. Krueger is likely sitting Fistric because of Vans speed. Dallas did the same thing with him. Sit him against speedy teams and play him against the rest. That strategy utilizes Fistrics strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

Man this is going to be a Long season lol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The underrating of Yakupov, and the overrating of Galchenyuk is really starting to get on my nerves.

East vs West...it's always been that.

And the hypocrisy about it is so blatant

Hall sucks because he's injured and therefore, Sequin is the better player

Galchenyuk is better than Yakupov.
-but Galchenyuk was injured
Doesn't matter, still better than Yakupov

:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad