Training Camp Starts 12 Sep 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He also answers in as few words as possible and always looks bored and like he wants the interview over.

I mean, I get it, star hockey player in Canadian Juniors, former pro dad... probably has always had the best coaches and mentors for this stuff, it just rubs me the wrong way.

He has probably had 2-3x the microphones in his face compared to any other young player the Coyotes have at this point, given his stature and pedigree. How many times can you be asked about being Tie Domi's kid before you stop caring? It's old hat for him, and he is just a kid. Sometimes he is asked really stupid questions and he hasn't figured out how to just roll with it yet. Give him time with Todd Walsh and he will improve. Tyler Seguin he is not.

http://video.coyotes.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=446292

I don't see anything there that rubs me the wrong way. Just looks like an exhausted kid trying to make an NHL roster.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
My only knock on him is how he handles the media.

Agree. :sarcasm: He should have said something along the lines of:

"Who, me? This is just hockey. Just hockey. You remember about how big is the universe? Our problems here? C'mon. Are you serious? If you think your life is bad, all of somebody even on Earth have it worse. Be happy. Don't worry, be happy."

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I had a strong feeling Domi would make your team. I saw him play this summer at the Team Canada WJC evaluation camp here where I live and he really stood out for me. His skill level is truly off the charts. He looked NHL-ready to me. He was all business, too. I was blown away, really.

I think you guys landed a top-5 pick at No. 12. Enjoy!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
:laugh:
Agree. :sarcasm: He should have said something along the lines of:

"Who, me? This is just hockey. Just hockey. You remember about how big is the universe? Our problems here? C'mon. Are you serious? If you think your life is bad, all of somebody even on Earth have it worse. Be happy. Don't worry, be happy."

:laugh:I think Domi is just fine with the media. Give the kid a break..

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I had a strong feeling Domi would make your team. I saw him play this summer at the Team Canada WJC evaluation camp here where I live and he really stood out for me. His skill level is truly off the charts. He looked NHL-ready to me. He was all business, too. I was blown away, really.

I think you guys landed a top-5 pick at No. 12. Enjoy!

Time will tell, but I hope your right.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I think we're down to Lessio, Brown, Domi and Korpikoski for the last slot in the top 6 (with one of the rookies slotting in on the third line if Korpikoski cracks the 2nd line), but I don't think it's necessarily on a line with Hanzal and Vrbata. Looking at the lines from last year, Vrbata and Hanzal played with both Doan and Boedker about 40% of the time at 5 on 5. So we could be looking at:

Domi-Ribeiro-Doan
Vrbata-Hanzal-Boedker

or

Boedker-Ribeiro-Brown
Vrbata-Hanzal-Doan

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
What's the most that you guys would be willing to offer for one year of Vanek?

Connor Murphy?
Lessio and a 2nd?
2014 1st?
Korpikoski?

I think I could offer Lessio and a 2nd, but that probably wouldn't get it done.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I think we're down to Lessio, Brown, Domi and Korpikoski for the last slot in the top 6 (with one of the rookies slotting in on the third line if Korpikoski cracks the 2nd line), but I don't think it's necessarily on a line with Hanzal and Vrbata. Looking at the lines from last year, Vrbata and Hanzal played with both Doan and Boedker about 40% of the time at 5 on 5. So we could be looking at:

Domi-Ribeiro-Doan
Vrbata-Hanzal-Boedker

or

Boedker-Ribeiro-Brown
Vrbata-Hanzal-Doan

In an interview given yesterday Tippett made it pretty clear Brown is going to play RW on the 4th line. I'm pretty sure Lessio and Domi are the only ones still being considered for a top 6 spot at LW, provided there is no trade.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
In an interview given yesterday Tippett made it pretty clear Brown is going to play RW on the 4th line. I'm pretty sure Lessio and Domi are the only ones still being considered for a top 6 spot at LW, provided there is no trade.

Klinkhammer - Chipchura - Brown. Sounds good to me. Should be a very effective energy/puck posession line.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

I missed that. Where can I find it?

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I found Tippett's presser from yesterday especially illuminating when it came to Domi. He explained how the game against Vancouver (for numerous reasons) was as close to an NHL regular season game as they're going to get in pre-season, and how that type of game tells them the most about whether the young players are 'ready' or not. Clearly, as Domi was the best Coyote forward on the ice that night, it bodes well for his taking the final scoring line spot.

Hedging my bets, I still believe the kid has a greater than 50% chance of playing in the NHL this year... again, I'm not a 'fan' of any team, but do follow/watch prospects closer than most. I had him slotted 4th or 5th based on talent level for the draft, and was dumbfounded he slipped all the way to 12. I firmly believe if he were two inches taller, he'd have gone that high, easily. Only with Domi, I don't feel his lack of height will affect his offensive performance in the NHL. Hell, it could even aid his style of game. I believe he's ready for the NHL, and the deficiencies he does have can be rounded out on NHL ice. Just my perspective, of course, but I have been watching prospects develop (closely) for a couple decades now. Every player and situation is different, and (clearly) the Coyotes' coaching staff/front office understands that... else he'd be playing Major Junior by now.

He is not a wilting flower, or a Kyle Turris, either. If there's one kid who has been groomed for this, and is able to take on the pressures associated with playing in the NHL so young, it's him. I have no concern that playing (even struggling) in the NHL this year will hurt his development... and I wouldn't say the same for anybody else drafted this year, save Barkov.

I am (perhaps optimistically) hoping for a 15G-25A season out of him, which I believe is achievable if he sticks on a scoring line, and if he doesn't stick on a scoring line he won't be sticking on the team. His future should have you folks downright giddy... I'll be shocked if he never finishes in the top ten with 80+ points. And he'll do so with panache.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I think this is accurate. I also can see why DM has not signed Prospal or a one year stop gap. The money is one thing but next year, Domi is ready but we have another top 6 hole with Doan getting older. Assuming we sign Verby, plus Hanzel-Bods-ribs, we have 4 top 6 forwards, plus Doan this year, maybe Domi this year or next. If it is next, Domi replaces Doan. I can see DM being patient and waiting for the right trade for a longer term top 6 winger on a decent contract. Dm could offer some combination of 2 defensemen (Klesla/Z/Gormley/schlemko/Runblad) and a pick, or grinder (Klink/Korpi). We would need a trade partner that needs D badly and has decent talent up front. I think top 4 D are more valuable, and harder to come by, then second line wingers in the NHL. Once the season starts, teams with a poor defense will be more likely to make trades.

Just my opinion and also why, I don't think we should trade Yandle for a winger. I think we can get there without giving up Yandle and find a longer term solution.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I found Tippett's presser from yesterday especially illuminating when it came to Domi. He explained how the game against Vancouver (for numerous reasons) was as close to an NHL regular season game as they're going to get in pre-season, and how that type of game tells them the most about whether the young players are 'ready' or not. Clearly, as Domi was the best Coyote forward on the ice that night, it bodes well for his taking the final scoring line spot.

Hedging my bets, I still believe the kid has a greater than 50% chance of playing in the NHL this year... again, I'm not a 'fan' of any team, but do follow/watch prospects closer than most. I had him slotted 4th or 5th based on talent level for the draft, and was dumbfounded he slipped all the way to 12. I firmly believe if he were two inches taller, he'd have gone that high, easily. Only with Domi, I don't feel his lack of height will affect his offensive performance in the NHL. Hell, it could even aid his style of game. I believe he's ready for the NHL, and the deficiencies he does have can be rounded out on NHL ice. Just my perspective, of course, but I have been watching prospects develop (closely) for a couple decades now. Every player and situation is different, and (clearly) the Coyotes' coaching staff/front office understands that... else he'd be playing Major Junior by now.

He is not a wilting flower, or a Kyle Turris, either. If there's one kid who has been groomed for this, and is able to take on the pressures associated with playing in the NHL so young, it's him. I have no concern that playing (even struggling) in the NHL this year will hurt his development... and I wouldn't say the same for anybody else drafted this year, save Barkov.

I am (perhaps optimistically) hoping for a 15G-25A season out of him, which I believe is achievable if he sticks on a scoring line, and if he doesn't stick on a scoring line he won't be sticking on the team. His future should have you folks downright giddy... I'll be shocked if he never finishes in the top ten with 80+ points. And he'll do so with panache.

Pretty much agree with this. I think the only concern is his defensive positional game. Mentioned Vancouver game as a good example showed him out of position once that lead to a goal. This is something that I believe he'll easily adjust to however. Kid's definitley got game and his ability to adapt thus far has been very impressive, to say the least.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Never do this (cause quite frankly I think it's kinda dumb based on my inability to see the boys play as often as staff), but here goes for season starting roster:

Bods Ribero Doan

Domi Hanzl Vrbata

Korps Vermette Moss

Lessio Chip Klink
Brown

Oel Z

Yandle Morris

Schlemko Stone

Summers Rundblad

Smith
Greiss

The above has one forward stepping down when Biz returns, or risking slipping a d man through waivers.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
The 7 game losing streak sunk us last season. It was equivalent to a 12 game losing streak in an 82 game season. I doubt that will get duplicated this season.

We got 20 out of 30 points over the last 15 games. Need to keep doing that this season.

We are normally much better in the second part of a season; the problem last year is that there was only one part!

I am curious to see how the new divisions and scheduling are going to impact the league this season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Never do this (cause quite frankly I think it's kinda dumb based on my inability to see the boys play as often as staff), but here goes for season starting roster:

Bods Ribero Doan

Domi Hanzl Vrbata

Korps Vermette Moss

Lessio Chip Klink
Brown

Oel Z

Yandle Morris

Schlemko Stone

Summers Rundblad

Smith
Greiss

The above has one forward stepping down when Biz returns, or risking slipping a d man through waivers.

If this is close to the starting line up,then DM wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to get younger. These kids are fast and hungry and bring a lot of energy to the line up.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
I think Rundblad's earned a spot in the starting lineup with his offensive productivity this preseason. Stone and Schlemko have done nothing.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Brown took the 4th line RW spot, so it's head to head for Lessio and Domi tonight. I see two possible outcomes:

Boedker-Ribeiro-Doan
Domi-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Vermette-Moss
Klinkhammer-Chipchura-Brown

or

Boedker-Ribeiro-Doan
Korpikoski-Hanzal-Vrbata
Lessio-Vermette-Moss
Klinkhammer-Chipchura-Brown

add 8 log jammed D, 2 goalies, and a suspended Twitter feed.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I don't care what happens, it's fantastic the two kids are the last ones standing. shocking.

I still think they won't play in the NHL this season.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
If this is close to the starting line up,then DM wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to get younger. These kids are fast and hungry and bring a lot of energy to the line up.

Well, let's face it, currently there isn't too many other options. :)

As of the final horn last night however, I don't feel Domi should play more than the allowed games prior to a return to Jr's. This puts us right where we've been from the beginning - dire need of a top six LW. Which is scary, let's face it we should have looked more impressive against what the Sharks iced.

If they do indeed keep him up longer, I certainly hope that I'm wrong. The kids DEFINITELY got it, just not quite ready.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
I think his size and speed are very enticing; even if it means playing him on a 4th line. I've been one of the bigger boosters of Lessio after watching him play last year. He's solid. My only concerns are whether or not he has NHL hands or if his just a product of being an exceptional skater and OHL goaltending. Is he Chimera or Amonte?

I really see it as Brown/Lessio fighting it out for a spot in the bottom 6th and it is Domi and the guy Maloney is debating about making a deal for.

I kind of view him as second/third line tweener. Believe it was you that made the Upshall comparison. Good hard working player with great speed. Might not be able to create his own chances but if he finds chemistry with someone I don't see why he can't be in the top 6 eventually one day. He's a real hard worker and for now he might be able to come in and have a Winnik type rookie season. Provide some energy and a little bit of skill in the bottom 6. One thing Tip loves in his bottom 6 are tenacious players. Guys that play with some pace and and harass people in battles along the boards. Earn your turnovers. I think Lessio can provide this.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Both Domi and Lessio are rookies.. the season is going to wear them down.

Doesnt it make sense to start Domi for his 8-9 game tryout to learn about the NHL, then bring up Lessio from the AHL where he should have been on the top line.

If Domi puts up a PPG, then Lessio will get his chance later with an injury. You can start with Domi and bring Lessio in later but you cant do it the other way around.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
Both Domi and Lessio are rookies.. the season is going to wear them down.

Doesnt it make sense to start Domi for his 8-9 game tryout to learn about the NHL, then bring up Lessio from the AHL where he should have been on the top line.

If Domi puts up a PPG, then Lessio will get his chance later with an injury. You can start with Domi and bring Lessio in later but you cant do it the other way around.

Given who Domi is, I think he knows what the NHL is like. Sure nothing is the same as playing it, but I don't think he would gain from the 8-9 games as others would. That's not to say he would not get take aways from the games and things to expand on, but I think the kid is mentally ready and prepared.

If he can handle 82 games of men hitting him and the grind, that's another question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad