Training Camp Starts 12 Sep 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Biz counts against the roster limit even while suspended. So Lessio is here to stay unless he seriously struggles.

Are you certain? I was told the azrepublic had an article in which it contradicted itself regarding that very subject. Not saying your wrong, I just don't know - don't believe Raffi's suspension counted???

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are you certain? I was told the azrepublic had an article in which it contradicted itself regarding that very subject. Not saying your wrong, I just don't know - don't believe Raffi's suspension counted???

That comes straight from Tippett. It just got reduced to 3 games so it's not much of an issue unless we're talking about exposing someone to waivers.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
That comes straight from Tippett. It just got reduced to 3 games so it's not much of an issue unless we're talking about exposing someone to waivers.

Okay, good info., thanks.

LOL - just now saw it was another thread. I guess I should pay better attention!

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Encouraging to see guys like Stone, Brown, and Lessio make the team. We finally have some Maloney draft picks that seem to be working out that aren't early in the 1st round. Hopefully a good sign of things to come.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
you just described Rob Klinkhammer.

speaking of which, which loved hearing Heethuis call Korpikoski to Klinkhammer on the radio feed last night. they could make a good line with Chips or Vermette and provide checking or scoring.

blown away if Lessio stays up once Biz is back.
Great camp for Domi.

by the way, the only way to prevent another Turris is to avoid drafting a d-bag.

Why is that? One is looked at as a skilled, hard working player with upside. The other is a horrible NHL player that fights. It isn't like they will be swapping positions. How often is Biz dressed anyways?

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Encouraging to see guys like Stone, Brown, and Lessio make the team. We finally have some Maloney draft picks that seem to be working out that aren't early in the 1st round. Hopefully a good sign of things to come.

Hey what the hell happened to Nick Ross? Drafted in the first round 30th overall, had a couple of solid, albeit abbreviated, seasons in the AHL and then disappeared. I know he's playing in europe now, but what happened to him? I thought he was a promising d-man...

Little Black

@LittleBlack87
Jun 30, 2010
Hey guys what's up with Brandon Gormley? I'm a huge fan since he joined the Shawinigan Cataractes in their Memorial Cup run in 2012.

How was his camp this year? Any chance he'll get a crack at the NHL in 2013-2014?

Brandon+Gormley+Phoenix+Coyotes+v+Anaheim+t2Np-f4f8sFl.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gormley was fine, probably the #1 call up. Him not having to deal with waivers probably sealed his fate, considering how many one way contracts the Coyotes have on D. He is also likely trade bait now that Rundblad and Murphy have emerged as solid options.

Little Black

@LittleBlack87
Jun 30, 2010
Gormley was fine, probably the #1 call up. Him not having to deal with waivers probably sealed his fate, considering how many one way contracts the Coyotes have on D. He is also likely trade bait now that Rundblad and Murphy have emerged as solid options.

Thanks and have a nice season!

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
I think trading Gormley would be the biggest mistake this franchise could make. I personally believe he will be the best defenceman not named Ekman-Larsson on this team eventually. He had an amazing junior career and his first professional season was impressive as well. Sure we need scoring help, but I would sooner move Rundblad or Murphy.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Gormley is an excellent D prospect. I don't want him traded at all.

I agree that Lucic is a terrible comparison for Lessio. They don't play similar styles at all. If anything, Brown is a poor man's Lucic. Lessio is like a smarter Upshall that's better defensively. Or a grittier Korpikoski.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Would rather lose Summers, Schlemko or Klesla on a waiver claim than trade Gormley for less than a legit, stud, young scorer.

Chris Wojcik the Coyotes media relations guy tweeted a picture of the team at the D-Backs pool today and I'm ashamed to say I can only confidently face-check 4 of these guys. Is that Smith in the "Nixon" shirt? And Biz with the backwards baseball cap in the back?

#fakefan

picture.php

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Would rather lose Summers, Schlemko or Klesla on a waiver claim than trade Gormley for less than a legit, stud, young scorer.

Chris Wojcik the Coyotes media relations guy tweeted a picture of the team at the D-Backs pool today and I'm ashamed to say I can only confidently face-check 4 of these guys. Is that Smith in the "Nixon" shirt? And Biz with the backwards baseball cap in the back?

#fakefan

picture.php

Haha. Great picture

From left to right: Doan, Smitty, Ribeiro, Yandle, Biz, Korpi, Moss

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think trading Gormley would be the biggest mistake this franchise could make. I personally believe he will be the best defenceman not named Ekman-Larsson on this team eventually. He had an amazing junior career and his first professional season was impressive as well. Sure we need scoring help, but I would sooner move Rundblad or Murphy.

Gormley is an excellent D prospect. I don't want him traded at all.

This has been the party line for awhile. If he was so pants on head great, they'd be clearing space for him. Instead, he is asked to go ride the buses for a chance at a call-up. I'd trade him for an offensive prospect of equal stature without much thought. Schlemko and Summers are relatively easy to move, yet Gormley couldn't muscle them out. I'm not saying he is a bust, but let's stop pretending like he is the next Shea Weber or something.

Rundblad had an impressive preseason. He should be off the table until his value is established in the regular season. Murphy is too raw for most teams. Gormley is the trade bait.

We can't hold all these D forever. Sometimes you've got to make a trade that isn't fun but is in the best interests of all involved.

Haha. Great picture

Korpi put on muscle and it's noticeable. He should play a heavier game this year. He looks bigger than Doan.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This has been the party line for awhile. If he was so pants on head great, they'd be clearing space for him. Instead, he is asked to go ride the buses for a chance at a call-up. I'd trade him for an offensive prospect of equal stature without much thought. Schlemko and Summers are relatively easy to move, yet Gormley couldn't muscle them out. I'm not saying he is a bust, but let's stop pretending like he is the next Shea Weber or something.

We can't hold all these D forever. Sometimes you've got to make a trade that isn't fun but is in the best interests of all involved.

Pretty much sums it up. Beyond that and due to the blind love fest for Gormley..... I will stay out of this. :)

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I sorta agree with this, but sometimes the trade's just not there. Sometimes no matter how much money you have in free agency, the impact scorer just isn't there. The Leafs are about to find out that just because you pay David Clarkson like John Leclair doesn't mean he's going to be John Leclair. I have no doubt that GMDM has made more than a couple phone calls this summer trying to move a defenseman for a forward, but sometimes the trade just isn't there. If you visit the hf trade forum, how often do you see, "yeah, the value's OK ... but no thanks."
Rundblad had an impressive preseason. He should be off the table until his value is established in the regular season. Gormley is the trade bait.
What's the difference? No team would trade an established scorer for either with the goal of being better this year because both are the same -- wildly talented, but not NHL-proven. Both would appeal to a rebuilding team trying to get younger and trying to add cost-controlled skill to the blue line.

Korpi put on muscle and it's noticeable. He should play a heavier game this year. He looks bigger than Doan.
True fact. I thought he was OEL :help:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What's the difference? No team would trade an established scorer for either with the goal of being better this year because both are the same -- wildly talented, but not NHL-proven. Both would appeal to a rebuilding team trying to get younger and trying to add cost-controlled skill to the blue line.

There are teams with scorers that aren't really going for it this year (Edmonton, Calgary) that would love either D for a player like Hemsky or Cammelleri. It's just a salary issue at that point. But you don't want to trade either until you're fairly certain what they are or going to be. We know Gormley isn't good enough to force his way onto the roster. We know that Rundbald had one hell of a preseason and his raw potential is undeniable.

Holding on to him to see it play out is more about not trading away the next Karlsson than it is getting maximum value. I'm comfortable with trading Gormley, because the coaching staff is comfortable with keeping him in the AHL. Rundblad practically forced his way on to the roster, looked good. We don't know where that upward trend ends, so I'm not comfortable trading him away.

Rundblad also plays the right, so he has that going for him too. Most teams are lucky if they've got a guy banging on the door, forcing roster moves. The Coyotes arguably have three in Stone, Rundblad, and Gormley.

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
Gormley is also younger and less further along in his development than Rundblad, Summers, etc. In a few years, I believe he will be way ahead of where those guys are now.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
There are teams with scorers that aren't really going for it this year (Edmonton, Calgary) that would love either D for a player like Hemsky or Cammelleri. It's just a salary issue at that point. But you don't want to trade either until you're fairly certain what they are or going to be. We know Gormley isn't good enough to force his way onto the roster. We know that Rundbald had one hell of a preseason and his raw potential is undeniable.

Holding on to him to see it play out is more about not trading away the next Karlsson than it is getting maximum value. I'm comfortable with trading Gormley, because the coaching staff is comfortable with keeping him in the AHL. Rundblad practically forced his way on to the roster, looked good. We don't know where that upward trend ends, so I'm not comfortable trading him away.

Rundblad also plays the right, so he has that going for him too. Most teams are lucky if they've got a guy banging on the door, forcing roster moves. The Coyotes arguably have three in Stone, Rundblad, and Gormley.

I don't know where you have been, but HF consesus is that EDM will beat us out for a playoff spot. Apparently we will likely finish 6th in our division due to us getting better in the off-season...

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
I would have to agree with what's being said about Korpi. He looks noticeably bigger. Doan still looks the biggest in that picture me. He's a redwood in the core. In regards to Korpi. Perhaps maybe this is the year he finally breaks out offensively. Always thought there was another level he could get to. Maloney was pleased with the contract he signed but I still don't get the vibe that they want him in the top 6 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad