Post-Game Talk: Training Camp Over. Negativity and infighting stalk the forum like two giant stalking things.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
How would you ever prove it?

I think it was just the tone he was suprised at?

Could never prove it but it seems pretty logical. Only two forwards in the last 20 years have received 1,500 minutes and failed to get to 30 points. Jay Pandolfo in 2007 and Bates Battaglia with one of the worst seasons of all time in 2003. Both were pretty close (25 and 27) and neither receieved #1 PP time with the Sedin twins.

Sutter's 34 points is 8th fewest out of 815 players, which was the context in which this originally came up.

30 points seems like a reasonable baseline for a replacement-level player receiving that kind of deployment.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think there's anything crazy about saying Gaunce would get 30 points playing PP1 minutes and playing with the Sedins. I mean, Granlund did it. Eriksson would do it. Lots of other players would do it too.

That's kind of the minimum a player in that situation should do. I still don't need Eriksson, Granlund or Gaunce on my NHL team.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Could never prove it but it seems pretty logical. Only two forwards in the last 20 years have received 1,500 minutes and failed to get to 30 points. Jay Pandolfo in 2007 and Bates Battaglia with one of the worst seasons of all time in 2003. Both were pretty close (25 and 27) and neither receieved #1 PP time with the Sedin twins.

Sutter's 34 points is 8th fewest out of 815 players, which was the context in which this originally came up.

30 points seems like a reasonable baseline for a replacement-level player receiving that kind of deployment.

It's logical and yet meaningless at the same time, because as you said it's replacement level.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Fair enough.....i would just have to gouge my eyes out watching it though.

I don't want to be blind

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The tone was directed toward F A N and his endless habit of inventing quotes and attacking strawmen.
Okey dokey.

Any predictions on who the last cuts are?

i'm thinking Archiblad and Schaller are going toe to toe in this one. Green likes Archy and he finished off solid last year
Motte should hold a spot till Roussel comes back
we carry 14 forwards and Biega goes down to play with Juolevi.

so Schaller Motte(Roussel) Biega when and if healthy.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Okey dokey.

i'm thinking Archiblad and Schaller are going toe to toe in this one. Green likes Archy and he finished off solid last year

They've been pretty adamant about going into the season with 8 D.

I would bet money on Archibald being sent down.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
This season would be a lot easier to bear if we had our own insane meth-addled mascot like Philly does.

Will someone please get Fin hooked on hard drugs?

It's welfare weekend,someone should get him buzzed on some cheap beer then drop him off on East Hastings and the party will find him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I haven’t researched it but isn’t there always going to be somebody on even the worst of teams getting 30 something points? It’s hardly an offensive accomplishment.
it's the context of those points.

From a 3rd or 4th line with very little PP time with responsible 2 way play and some sandpaper i take that happily as thats likely an excellent btm 6 player.

From a top6 with PP obviously the player isn't driving anything and he sucks in his role or is having the worst year of his career...sometimes it's not the players fault though as he could be just suited for defensive play and his team has no one to step up.

Bottom line if your a top6 you better be able to punch the clock at .5ppg or the team is looking to demote or replace you and as a btm 6 if you can really skate soften the other team and be a good defensive player getting 30pts is a huge plus

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Okey dokey.

Archibald will be cut even though he's been better than the woeful Schaller by a country mile.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I don’t understand why teams pay millions of dollars a year for players when we could just ice a team of 4th liners and give them ICE TIME and the points will just fly.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Archibald will be cut even though he's been better than the woeful Schaller by a country mile.
A country mile is quite the statement. What exactly has Archie done that made him so extraordinary in the preseason in your opinion? Schaller wasn’t particularly noticeable and played like a replacement level 4th liner. Archie must have truly been exceptional

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
But it already happened in 16-17 with Sutter and you still seem to have eyesight.
yes that wasn't pretty.

Despite how bad that was Henrik and Daniel had 50 and 44 pt seasons....yikes. Sutter certainly wasn't helping but were talking a good NHL hockey player not a scrub that can't get claimed on waivers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A country mile is quite the statement. What exactly has Archie done that made him so extraordinary in the preseason in your opinion? Schaller wasn’t particularly noticeable and played like a replacement level 4th liner. Archie must have truly been exceptional

Archibald has finished his checks, played well defensively, and put some pucks on the net.

Schaller has looked like a slow useless scrub who can't win a puck battle or establish defensive position. Initial viewings of a UFA signing haven't been this bad since Marc Chouinard.

Reactions: sting101

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Archibald has finished his checks, played well defensively, and put some pucks on the net.

Schaller has looked like a slow useless scrub who can't win a puck battle or establish defensive position. Initial viewings of a UFA signing haven't been this bad since Marc Chouinard.
I haven’t been impressed with Schaller either. Boston fans seem pretty high on him so I’m going to give him a few months in the regular season before making any definitive statements about the kid. So far, he has been a disappointment

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i think it's been closer than you do but agree that Archibald should be the man.

I'm actually a huge fan right now and i think i'm gonna be pissed if tonight he outplays Schaller again and they keep the contract. Archie can fricken play was on a 12g 15a 27pt pace last year looked good flanking Sutter and he's tough and strong as xxxx. Schaller has looked more raw and as a pure 4th line scrub.

If Green wants a harder team to play against than that means players that can play meaningful minutes. Archibald deserves a shot....even if its just till Roussel gets up to speed if he ever does.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think it's been closer than you do but agree that Archibald should be the man.

I'm actually a huge fan right now and i think i'm gonna be pissed if tonight he outplays Schaller again and they keep the contract. Archie can fricken play was on a 12g 15a 27pt pace last year looked good flanking Sutter and he's tough and strong as xxxx. Schaller has looked more raw and as a pure 4th line scrub.

If Green wants a harder team to play against than that means players that can play meaningful minutes. Archibald deserves a shot....even if its just till Roussel gets up to speed if he ever does.

Oh, absolutely. Much as I like Gaunce, Archibald was even better last year.

Stepped straight in on the 3rd line next to Sutter, was an upgrade in every way on Granlund who he replaced, did a great job defensively and on the PK, scored at a 27 point ES pace, and threw hits at nearly double the rate of our next best forward.

The guy was an above-average NHL 3rd liner last year after joining us.

It's absolute insanity that we're spending $8 million to make lateral (at best) moves away from cheap, young, homegrown guys like Archibald and Gaunce who did a very good job last year instead of spending that money on another defender or another skill forward.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
If Schaller, Beagle and other guy whose name I've already forgotten are better than Archibald, Gaunce and {insert name} it is going to be by the slimmest of margins, maybe 2 points in the standings. So you are paying roughly 7.9M to gain 2 points in the standings over what you could get for about 2M, which is actually probably counter-productive for us in the long run.

Reactions: cookiefest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad