Post-Game Talk: Training Camp Over. Negativity and infighting stalk the forum like two giant stalking things.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
So basically:

In:
Petterson (Our Savior)
A bunch of fourth line plugs on multi-million dollar deal contracts and some Mottes

Out:
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Thomas Vanek

Here to stay:
All the defenders from last year (No change at all) that was bottom 3 in the league with increased pay checks.

We are definitely going to be destroyed this season.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So basically:

In:
Petterson (Our Savior)
A bunch of fourth line plugs on multi-million dollar deal contracts and some Mottes

Out:
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Thomas Vanek

Here to stay:
All the defenders from last year (No change at all) that was bottom 3 in the league with increased pay checks.

We are definitely going to be destroyed this season.
Yep. Same team as last year minus the Sedins, plus a couple of grinders, and maybe a rookie or two. No changes from the blueline back.

This team's going to be so bad. Like, multiple 10 to 15 game losing streaks kind of bad. They're going to suck so much we're in real danger of a black hole spontaneously opening at centre ice and destroying the planet.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not sure I've ever seen posters on these boards so pessimistic about a season. But other than Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat, and the progress of the kids in Utica, it's pretty hard to be positive.....particularly when every prognosticator from Bodog Sports and EA Sports to ESPN and TSN is predicting a 15th place finish in the Western Conference.

And taking stock of the teams in Western Conference it's really hard to find a single team they could actually finish ahead of. If the Canucks got lights-out goaltending night after night, they might have a chance to climb a litter higher in the standings...but of course we know that isn't happening.

So it's another season of playing hard, finding a way to lose a lot of one-goal games and seeing Pettersson hopefully in the running for the Calder. And of course the endless speculation about Jack Hughes and the lottery balls, which nobody can do anything about anyway.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm not sure I've ever seen posters on these boards so pessimistic about a season. But other than Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat, and the progress of the kids in Utica, it's pretty hard to be positive.....particularly when every prognosticator from Bodog Sports and EA Sports to ESPN and TSN is predicting a 15th place finish in the Western Conference.

And taking stock of the teams in Western Conference it's really hard to find a single team they could actually finish ahead of. If the Canucks got lights-out goaltending night after night, they might have a chance to climb a litter higher in the standings...but of course we know that isn't happening.

So it's another season of playing hard, finding a way to lose a lot of one-goal games and seeing Pettersson hopefully in the running for the Calder. And of course the endless speculation about Jack Hughes and the lottery balls, which nobody can do anything about anyway.

I think it’s the fact that nothing drastic has been done with this losing team. There’s just no accountability, how do you justify having the exact line up (minus the Sedins and Vanek) with the same D-core that got us to the bottom of the league last year.

People should be losing their jobs, trades should have been made. People are all pessimistic because we lost all believe that this management team is able to manage a NHL team.

The Vancouver Canucks should just hire Grub as general manager if the standard was just to draft a player and keep everyone else the same. Just give me Bob Mckenzie’s mock draft and I’m sure I can grab a solid player with a top 7 pick.

Losing sucks.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Well duh. Have you seen the lineup? Of course we're pessimistic. All offseason we've had to hear about how great the prospect pool is, and now that the cold, hard light of NHL regular season day shines down, there's Pettersson ready and *poof* everyone else vanishes. And the people in charge are content to just let another boring, lost season play out and hope something better happens. It's one thing if a GM says hey, we're going to change things and it's not going to be easy but here's where we are, here's where we want to go, and here's how we're going to get there. These clowns? Nothing. What's the team going to be like without the Sedins? No idea. The team's a rudderless ship, there's no drive from management to improve, and all I've heard is they're going to keep doing the same stuff they've been doing and hope something different happens. That's just not a recipe for success.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
If Benning can survive the debacle that will surely be this season then he's bulletproof as far as I'm concerned. This stands to get really ugly around here this year and I'll be surprised if Mr Aquilini doesn't finally pull the trigger on Jimbo at some point along the way.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Benning is in no danger. Green will go before Benning.

Canucks look mismanaged as hell, to me. I doubt they'd know an NHL goalie if one bit them on the ass. It's discouraging to watch a team make mistakes over again. I have never seen a team return their entire defense intact. It's even weirder that a terrible team did this. I was counting on style of play to be completely made over but it wasn't. These are the same Canucks as last season. They seem to have quit on Green? Camp was embarrassing. Sedin era Canucks didn't give up until after Christmas.

Reactions: Ori

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Canucks look mismanaged as hell, to me. I doubt they'd know an NHL goalie if one bit them on the ass. It's discouraging to watch a team make mistakes over again. I have never seen a team return their entire defense intact. It's even weirder that a terrible team did this. I was counting on style of play to be completely made over but it wasn't. These are the same Canucks as last season. They seem to have quit on Green? Camp was embarrassing. Sedin era Canucks didn't give up until after Christmas.

I also don’t understand how management didn’t try to find an outside goalie option. Markstrom and Nilsson has got to be one of the most inconsistent pairing.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
This was never going to be a good season, we knew that last year.

The main thing is for Jim, or whoever is eventually in charge, to make decisions based upon 2020 and beyond rather than trying to make us a little better this year. I don't care if Markstrom stinks the place up, so long as Demko develops. I don't care if Sutter plays on our power play, so long as Gaudette takes the next step. I don't care about Beagle and Roussel and Gudbranson and Schaller and Gagner and Granlund and Pouliot and any other of these sub-replacement level vets so long as we get a top 3 pick... and I guess, a top 10 the season after that (which isn't looking like it's going to be all that great either).

This may be the worst Canucks team I've seen since the expansion days, but I'm willing to embrace them so long as I see a process in place... a process that won't involve me having to watch has-beens and never-will-be's endlessly circling the bowl for the next 5 years.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Canucks look mismanaged as hell, to me. . .. I have never seen a team return their entire defense intact. It's even weirder that a terrible team did this. I was counting on style of play to be completely made over but it wasn't. These are the same Canucks as last season. They seem to have quit on Green? Camp was embarrassing. Sedin era Canucks didn't give up until after Christmas.

I also don’t understand how management didn’t try to find an outside goalie option. Markstrom and Nilsson has got to be one of the most inconsistent pairing.

1. I think there is a reasonable chance that the Canucks start the season really badly and that Green doesn't survive it. Green was almost certainly doomed to be fired from the day he took the job trying to make a winning team out of the group of players he was going to be given to work with.

2. As for the defence and goaltending returning intact, it is certainly a dark cloud for those that want to cheer for the team this season but there is a silver lining.

Fewer moves by management now may mean less damage done to the future hopes for the team.

Do we really want the current management team making trades where young players and picks are included in the return given up for more tall, strong, good-skating guys that don't play nearly as well as the management team thinks they can?

Do we really want more free agent signings of the sort that brought us Nilsson, Bartkowski, del Zotto, Gagner and Eriksson, not to mention this summer's four year deals given to Beagle and Roussel?

Is it really important to make moves to make the 2018-19 the Canucks the 25th best team in the league as opposed to the 28th to 31st range?

Given past performance, I'm looking forward to the day when there is new management that is better able to make decisions for the future. I think it best if that new management isn't hindered by more decisions by the current management team that are intended to help the team in the present, don't do that very well and will make things even more difficult in the future.

It may seem strange, but I'm much happier seeing Markstrom, Nilsson, Edler, Tanev, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Stecher, Hutton, Pouliot and Biega than I would be if our current management made moves to try to improve things with the likely result that it would be even tougher to build a good team in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: PunkRockLocke

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
The only excitment about this season is Bo Brock and EP.....but when this team starts with the injury bug..it will crumble fast almost as fast as the dye job on his hair......Thanks Jim for another year of ..HOW NOT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS...he should write a book.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This may be the worst Canucks team I've seen since the expansion days, but I'm willing to embrace them so long as I see a process in place... a process that won't involve me having to watch has-beens and never-will-be's endlessly circling the bowl for the next 5 years.
I'd be willing to throw them a bone or two as I still believe there's some solid prospects on the team. Only thing is, management hasn't shown any ability to surround those players with decent supporting cast. I'm not talking about handing out mid to longer term deals (NTCs included) to solid 4th liners.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We’re going to be really bad. We’re going to get another high draft pick. Benning will likely be fired after this year. Most of the prospects will develop in Utica this year and get big minutes on what looks like a good team.
Can’t say I’m disappointed in any of the above. This is exactly what we need.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Linden is probably so pumped to be away from this tire fire.

Also if Benning gets fired theres a large chance weisbrod would take over. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
It's going to be a long, painful season.At least they'll be in on the Lottery pick.I just don't want to see them pushed around this year,a little more grit at least.

Reactions: Dave Lister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad