Post-Game Talk: Training Camp Over. Negativity and infighting stalk the forum like two giant stalking things.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Juo down? Will he report or will he bolt back to Finland

No reason why he wouldn't, this season Juolevi is only some good AHL play and an NHL injury away from being called up. He reports specifically because he could still spend a good chunk of this season with the Canucks.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Look no further than Ryan Johnson for where our development problems start

Hes the senior director of development now with Scott Walker below him. But going off this quote he’s not exactly doing his job up to snuff.

Ryan Johnson thriving in Canucks front-office job - TBNewsWatch.com

“Once we pick them they come to me and I devise a plan for them and how they fit into the organization and try to take that (draft) crop and try to produce two or three full-time NHLers,” Johnson said

These plans so far seem to consist of Bulk up” and that’s it

Now I’m unsure of how much he works with these prospects in the summer but we do know he is directly involved with developing players in Utica. With the amount of prospects down there this year he should be under a microscope.

And so many believe with this job he can also handle being the GM of the Utica Comets while spending a great deal of the season in his Nashville digs. "What broad shoulder's you have, Mr. Johnson!"

Reactions: geebaan and Ryp37

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
What's with all the doom and gloom in here. Shocking that people thought Gaudette and Dahlen would make the team.

The AHL is a step up in competition for these guys as well a juolevi and other prospects.

They'll get NHL opportunities through injuries. Young players like Petterson and boeser will be given the offensive minutes, the older guys will get buried with the hard minutes.

The plan was never to succeed this year. The younger players will improve, another high pick will be added and next year the team will start making real progress.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What's with all the doom and gloom in here. Shocking that people thought Gaudette and Dahlen would make the team.

The AHL is a step up in competition for these guys as well a juolevi and other prospects.

They'll get NHL opportunities through injuries. Young players like Petterson and boeser will be given the offensive minutes, the older guys will get buried with the hard minutes.

The plan was never to succeed this year. The younger players will improve, another high pick will be added and next year the team will start making real progress.

Right, right. You're so right. Of course nobody expected the top prospect pool in the history of the nhl to have any NHL ready players.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Right, right. You're so right. Of course nobody expected the top prospect pool in the history of the nhl to have any NHL ready players.

It’s not even that they got cut. The majority of these kids are better served playing in the AHL anyhow, but they generally didn’t even make it a remotely difficult decision.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

If any of our AHL bound prospects had shown a pulse there'd be a lot more complaining that they were sent down. They didn't of them Gaudette looked like he was trying but the skating and NHL level game pace just wasn't there. Dahlen was a ghost who showed a few flashes but not enough to stick. Juolevi was better than last season but Pouliot level at best. None of the other kids that got cut were even as 'close' as those three were.

The fact is they just weren't ready and no amount of offseason hype for our prospect pool is going to change that.

Reactions: geebaan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The last 4 Hobey Baker winners went straight to the NHL as impact players. These are developed guys. The last 16 winners either went straight to the NHL or busted.

That Dahlen and Gaudette couldn't make an impact and went to the AHL given their age and experience is REALLY REALLY BAD. Statistically, it means that both are overwhelmingly likely to bust. Guys who make it from their situations don't touch the AHL or touch it very little.

Reactions: cookiefest

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Linden is probably so pumped to be away from this tire fire.

Also if Benning gets fired theres a large chance weisbrod would take over. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
And then he'll be fired approximately 1.5 years after that.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The last 4 Hobey Baker winners went straight to the NHL as impact players. These are developed guys. The last 16 winners either went straight to the NHL or busted.

That Dahlen and Gaudette couldn't make an impact and went to the AHL given their age and experience is REALLY REALLY BAD. Statistically, it means that both are overwhelmingly likely to bust. Guys who make it from their situations don't touch the AHL or touch it very little.

Well Butcher and Vesey were seniors whereas Gaudette is a junior. Gaudreau and Eichel are franchise players. Kinda hard to compare. If he doesn't see any action until the end of the year I'd be worried.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Don’t most on here want a tank season? It’s coming. Management did nothing to address our two largest concerns. Scoring and D. Make no mistake about it, this is a shameful tank for Hughes which I can’t stand
Given his track record, the team likely wouldn't look so awful if Jim was actually trying to tank.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well Butcher and Vesey were seniors whereas Gaudette is a junior. Gaudreau and Eichel are franchise players. Kinda hard to compare. If he doesn't see any action until the end of the year I'd be worried.

If Gaudette isn't a top-line impact player in the AHL from the start of this season, you can basically stick a fork in him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If Gaudette isn't a top-line impact player in the AHL from the start of this season, you can basically stick a fork in him.

Pretty much. I'd be disappointed with anything less than a .80 ppg for him to be a future top 6 player. At least he will get the opportunity with Uticas center depth.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I love how you make these proclamations based on "hey I believe in these odds" but somehow believe that Gaunce given 2nd line minutes and PP time would morph into a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL because "hey I believe in these odds."

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I love how you make these proclamations based on "hey I believe in these odds" but somehow believe that Gaunce given 2nd line minutes and PP time would morph into a 20+ goal scorer in the NHL because "hey I believe in these odds."

How are these two things connected?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

I don't believe he or anyone else has said anything of the sort.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006

If Brock Boeser has the preseason he just had last year he would have started in the AHL.

It’s a tiny sample size. This is a big year , no doubt, but I don’t think we can label either as probable busts just yet.

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I definitely believe in the very high odds that you'll invent things I said every time you quote me.

I did once say that Gaunce would score 30 points if you played him 19 minutes/game including for 1/3 of the season with the Sedins and played him on the top PP unit all season. And I stand by that, and anyone who disagrees with that statement is frankly an idiot.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice

It's a bit different for pressure and expectations of a winger to centre. Eichel is the only centre in that group, and he was a top-2 pick.

Butcher still hasn't earned the trust of his coaching staff 5v5, he's a great point producing dman though, with deficiencies defensively.

Vesey slotted in to a strong team with good linemates that ease the burden.

Gaudreau turned into a legit NHL star, which is rate in and of itself for where and when he was drafted (it's a different discussion altogether about whether that's the right call at that point and place though).

Gaudette doesn't have the luxury of having a strong team or supporting cast around him. If you plopped him on a team like WPG with their defense and playing on the 3rd line with Perreault and Vesalainen (or a Tanev, Lowry or Little given last years line configurations).

The area to focus on I think is his foot speed for the most part - that's probably the one area where he is lacking right that holds him back. A little bit more strength would help him too.

I mentioned in another thread, but top prospects like Tolvanen, Mittelstadt, likely Zadina amongst others are all starting in the AHL. Could you imagine if we had Mittelstadt and were sending him to the Comets!?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm finding it a bit of a stretch to blame Ryan Johnson for this when most of the players we are disappointed in played in other leagues for the majority of last year as opposed to Utica.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I definitely believe in the very high odds that you'll invent things I said every time you quote me.

I did once say that Gaunce would score 30 points if you played him 19 minutes/game including for 1/3 of the season with the Sedins and played him on the top PP unit all season. And I stand by that, and anyone who disagrees with that statement is frankly an idiot.

Prime Sedins sure. Last years Sedins, no lol. Sedins were just ordinary average 50 point players with terrible defence last year. Gaunce would have maybe broke 20 points. 5 points going off his ass.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Gaunce is a good example actually. At Gaudette's age he was coming off an almost point per game AHL season yet 2 years later he's on waivers. So if a 22 year old Gaudette can't be a high end AHLer this season, then he's probably not a good bet to be a good NHLer.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Why are we talking about Gaunce? When he was 22 he was a good AHL player and getting regular NHL games. That is the minimum expectation for Gaudette.

He had 38 points in 47 AHL games when he was a year younger than Gaudette is now. How is he some argument against saying we should expect gaudette to be PPG in the ahl?

It's like all anyone can say in response to logical arguments now is herp Gaunce derp.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Gaunce is a good example actually. At Gaudette's age he was coming off an almost point per game AHL season yet 2 years later he's on waivers. So if a 22 year old Gaudette can't be a high end AHLer this season, then he's probably not a good bet to be a good NHLer.

Yes, exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad