GDT: Training camp 2018 (#teamgrit vs #teamgrind)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's a bit of a short-sell on Bishop IMHO. Mind you his upside is as a #4C but he plays a very projectable game and is a very solid skater with a ton of work ethic. It's hard to remember that he's also going to be all of 22 this season, he's not really a Keith Aucoin/David Gove type situation where they're necessarily a career AAAA type just yet. The room is there for him to be a Kevyn Adams type.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Having not seen Bishop play much, I'm just concerned that the "bottom 6er in the AHL, bottom 6er in the NHL" is dead. Seems like the development path is changing; every 4th liner that comes into the league is at least a major contributor at the AHL level. Gone are the days where the Dodges or Blanchards have a "projectable" 4th line game, while playing 4th line in Charlotte. Even a guy like Patrick Brown is a top 9 contributor for the Checkers.

Maybe Bishop can be an exception to the rule, but it does seem like that ilk of player trajectory is starting to go away.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
To me, this is like the discussion around whether Foegele is more deserving to stay with the big club than Wallmark. Yes, in a vacuum, Foegele is the more attractive forward, but when talking about the center role specifically, Foegele doesn't enter the discussion. If he played on the wing, Bishop would've probably been gone as of the first cuts, but since he plays center, and we're painfully thin at that position, he's still around.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How has Ferland and Hamilton been?

Ferland has only played in 1 game so far. Has a lower body injury but Brind'Amour said he'd be ready for the start of the season. He looked good, scored a goal and played a solid all around game. Hamilton has been a joy to watch. Has a goal and an assist in 2 games and has 10 shots on goal and has been solid defensively.

Pre-season is kind of meaningless for these guys though as it's regular season that counts.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around Pesce being a third pair guy especially the way he played tonight.

It probably makes more sense if you split ice time evenly between the 2nd and 3rd pairs.

I guess if Faulk returns to form it becomes much less of an issue, but damn. Pesce's got to be the best third-pair D on any team in quite some time.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Hamilton was #4 on CGY PP TOI with 213 minutes. Giordano was the only D with more (250 minutes).

He had significant PP time, but maybe he just anchored the 2nd unit? The quote you link says: "That was was without much top unit power play time".

Sometimes they ran 4 forwards and Gio on the point. But otherwise Hamilton is on the PP1 with Gio. But as you know we had a pretty bad PP last season...so....yeah.

Anyways just dropped by to see how Ferland is doing. Hope you guys like him!

Also I'm a big Necas supporter as well but i haven't seen much coverage of him in the pre-season yet so I'm just lurking around to see how hes doing :) Hope hes making the team this year.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Unpopular opinion: let’s just play Aho at wing. Everything is F1 F2 F3 in the league nowadays anyway, and no matter how we construct the lines everyone is going to have a rookie/inexperienced player on their line anyway.

Put any of Staal, Necas, or Wallmark in between Aho and TT and call it a day. The centers will suck anyway, don’t let this issue take away your best winger too.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Unpopular opinion: let’s just play Aho at wing. Everything is F1 F2 F3 in the league nowadays anyway, and no matter how we construct the lines everyone is going to have a rookie/inexperienced player on their line anyway.

Put any of Staal, Necas, or Wallmark in between Aho and TT and call it a day. The centers will suck anyway, don’t let this issue take away your best winger too.

Shouldn’t Necas be afforded the same opportunity to develop on the wing that Aho was given? It’s a lot to ask of a 19 year old Rookie to be the go to Center for all non-Staal related deployment. Fatigue may be a factor as well, Necas has only played 90 games over the past 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad