GDT: Training camp 2018 (#teamgrit vs #teamgrind)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not sure we want our best player getting cross-checked and decked multiple times a game. I get that not every "net front presence" needs to be Tomas Holmström and sometimes it's about being in the right spot, tipping pucks, etc....but even those guys do take a pounding.

I guess it's all how he is used.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I agree, he can get it in tight as long as it’s just the tip. Thankfully he only needs a couple of seconds to finish.
14707030.jpg

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It feels like it’s been ages since the team has had a player capable of scoring consistently from the left half-wall.

If Faulk or Hamilton can adjust to that angle, that changes the dynamic of the PP significantly. That would allow the team to get away from Teravainen’s one-dimensionality in that spot. Let him distribute from behind the goal line a la Lindholm. There would so many options from one-timers from both half-walls (Hamilton/Faulk, Aho) to a big shot from the middle of the ice (Hamilton/Faulk) to the Lindholm play, with the LHS Teravainen passing to a RHS in the soft spot in the coverage between the dots.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There was a report, I think either earlier today or yesterday, where Aho was the "net front presence" and was good at it. It is apparently something he did in Liiga play.

There is an Aho/"The Most Interesting Man in the World" meme in here somewhere about him being able to play any roll on a hockey team.

Waddell and Darling better be looking over their shoulders.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
So it says they start today with physicals and testing. Do they ever update the figures from these workouts? They show heights and weights on the training camp roster but I don't know when those numbers would have come from. I'm always interested in knowing what kind of weight the young guys put on over the summer coming into camp but it seems hard to find most of the time
I just realized in the press release with the last round of cuts that they have updated everybody. Aho is now listed at 6', Fleury is down to 208 from 221, Necas is listed at 189,etc.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
TT is a player that needs to be flogged a bit. He’s a perimeter guy who always tries to skill his way through every play. He’s not going to mesh with rba well, unless he’s producing well maybe.
Could the separation of Turbo and Aho be in anticipation of a trade? I really like Teravainen, but in the vein of you've got to give up value to get value, he could be a piece that gets us the center we're looking for.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Could the separation of Turbo and Aho be in anticipation of a trade? I really like Teravainen, but in the vein of you've got to give up value to get value, he could be a piece that gets us the center we're looking for.
Wouldn't expect Rod to speak the value down in that case.

Of course, he is up for a re-sign now.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I think we need the regular season to start--because there is nothing in those comments. "The games count really for him in whatever it is, a week or whatever." This is just an echo of what he said about Washington.

Treavainen is undervalued--but I don't think RBA misses how important he is to the team.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
It feels like it’s been ages since the team has had a player capable of scoring consistently from the left half-wall.

If Faulk or Hamilton can adjust to that angle, that changes the dynamic of the PP significantly. That would allow the team to get away from Teravainen’s one-dimensionality in that spot. Let him distribute from behind the goal line a la Lindholm. There would so many options from one-timers from both half-walls (Hamilton/Faulk, Aho) to a big shot from the middle of the ice (Hamilton/Faulk) to the Lindholm play, with the LHS Teravainen passing to a RHS in the soft spot in the coverage between the dots.
I was unaware hamilton didn't have significant power play time in Calgary, but i was reading the season preview athletic article here: 2018-19 NHL Season Preview: Carolina Hurricanes
and saw this.
Hamilton has his warts (penalty differential, low give-a-shit meter, high museum visits per 60) and I understand that my model may overrate his services, but he’s still an elite defender and I would personally struggle to name 15 defenders that will be better than him this season, especially as he firmly enters the prime of his career. He’s built in the Brent Burns mold of defenders that shoot a lot (hence why my model likely overrates him) and his 17 goals was tied for the league lead among defencemen. That was was without much top unit power play time, too, meaning he could see an increase in his goal and point totals this season if he gets a spot on Carolina’s top power play. He’s shown enough offensive ability at evens to suggest he could do well as the top guy and may be able to help boost a Carolina power play that was in the league’s bottom 10 last season. He hasn’t exactly shown a knack for excelling on the power play yet in his career, though. If it’s not Hamilton, the team still has Justin Faulk to fall back on while Hamilton remains an elite 5-on-5 player.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I was unaware hamilton didn't have significant power play time in Calgary, but i was reading the season preview athletic article here: 2018-19 NHL Season Preview: Carolina Hurricanes
and saw this.

Hamilton was #4 on CGY PP TOI with 213 minutes. Giordano was the only D with more (250 minutes).

He had significant PP time, but maybe he just anchored the 2nd unit? The quote you link says: "That was was without much top unit power play time".

Also, hmm... Bishop has now outlasted Saarela and Geekie. Maybe someone to watch for, as Dave(?) has been touting recently.

Brind'Amour talked about being upset after cuts that guys weren't pushing the pace as much. Bishop is just a pace-pusher. The type of AAAA grindy forward that makes for a good practice body. Saarela and Geekie are better off getting acclimated in Charlotte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad