GDT: Training camp 2018 (#teamgrit vs #teamgrind)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Has Maenalanen done anything to deserve a spot? I haven’t seen him make one play that sets him apart from even guys like PDG or Kuokkanen.

1A/1B until someone proves himself, but 1A to start is probably Darling.

Maybe my interpretation bias, but it seems like almost everything Canes management has said points to Mrazek starting.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Funny, I can't recall seeing anything tipping the team's hand on this.

For sure they haven’t said one way or the other. Hence my “interpretation”.

There was a 99.9 interview with Waddell recently where he was talking more about Mrazek and it being a great fit because he wanted a 1 year deal to prove himself while the Canes needed a starter.

Canes playing Ned with Darling has seemed like a hedge to me (edit: not true looking back - Booth started behind Darling at NSH). The way they have treated deployment, again just for me, appears like they are happy with Mrazek and letting Darling/Ned fight it out for the 2nd spot. At least using Ned to push Darling.

Rod, at one point, was talking about how he was watching closely how the goalies were playing the puck and managing the game, not just making saves, and IMO Mrazek has been a lot more steady in that regard.

Just subtle things feeding my confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
With Rask out, I see:

13 forwards: Aho, PDG, Ferland, Foegele, Martinook, McGinn, Necas, Staal, Svechnikov, TT, Wallmark, Williams, Zykov
7 defense: CDH, Faulk, Fleury, Hamilton, Pesce, Slavin, TVR
2 Goalies: Darling, Mrazek

Barring a trade, that's it.

LOL, I was making the list at the same time

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
For sure they haven’t said one way or the other. Hence my “interpretation”.

There was a 99.9 interview with Waddell recently where he was talking more about Mrazek and it being a great fit because he wanted a 1 year deal to prove himself while the Canes needed a starter.

Canes playing Ned with Darling has seemed like a hedge to me (edit: not true looking back - Booth started behind Darling at NSH). The way they have treated deployment, again just for me, appears like they are happy with Mrazek and letting Darling/Ned fight it out for the 2nd spot. At least using Ned to push Darling.

Rod, at one point, was talking about how he was watching closely how the goalies were playing the puck and managing the game, not just making saves, and IMO Mrazek has been a lot more steady in that regard.

Just subtle things feeding my confirmation bias.

I don't think there is a first spot or a second spot. I think we have two #2s, and they'll both have to prove it all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad