Trading Dan Girardi

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have compared Girardi to Volchenkov and Mckee in the past. Both of those players blocked a ton of shots and were/are absolute warriors. However, they also had their bodies just break down from the type of game they played.

The scary thing is, I have also compared Callahan to Chris Drury. We saw, first-hand, what happened to his body and how quickly it deteriorated.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
That's fair enough to compare Cally to Drury but I think the main problem with Drury was always his contract. When you pay someone the big bucks they have to contribute on both sides of the ice. I don't think Callahan would ever command anywhere near the same pay.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That's fair enough to compare Cally to Drury but I think the main problem with Drury was always his contract. When you pay someone the big bucks they have to contribute on both sides of the ice. I don't think Callahan would ever command anywhere near the same pay.

He will easily command 5 million on the open market. That's pretty close and if his body breaks down, even slightly considering he utilizes his speed for a lot of his offense, it will come crashing down in a hurry.

Brendan Morrow is another example.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Is he in decline or is he just off to a bad start in a new system?

Doesn't necessarily change the decision to move him, but it's worth considering.
With the exception of Brad Richards (shockingly) and maybe Mark Staal, everyone on this team can fit into that category.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
With the way Oilers fans are hitting the panic button, I wonder if we could pull off Girardi+Callahan for Taylor Hall and Justin Schultz/Jeff Petry.

There's only one way the Garden (and this board probably) would respond to that trade though, lol. Lots of boos.

BarbaraAlphanse

He will easily command 5 million on the open market. That's pretty close and if his body breaks down, even slightly considering he utilizes his speed for a lot of his offense, it will come crashing down in a hurry.

Brendan Morrow is another example.

Easier to trade him if McIlrath is ready. Didn't Dagoon say McIlrath knee not 100%? McIlrath didn't look up to NHL standards either. Needs to get hang of AHL before NHL. Needs to get healthy too.

Can Rangers afford to trade him? Probably not if they pick up their play and are cup contenders.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Comparing Brenden Morrow to Callahan is fair enough and he got a 6 year contract for 4 per. I think he earned it. Had one great year (74 points in 07-08), 3.5 years of solid play, and 1.5 years of injury time. If we could get the same from Callahan at the same cost, I would sign that contract. I think we can ink Cally for 5 years at 4.5-5 (around what Lecavalier and Clowe got). I'm not concerned about him declining in play quality, though the injuries are a concern. Having a player that's injured frequently but is great when he plays is better than a player staying healthy and underperforming, in my opinion.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Easier to trade him if McIlrath is ready. Didn't Dagoon say McIlrath knee not 100%? McIlrath didn't look up to NHL standards either. Needs to get hang of AHL before NHL. Needs to get healthy too.

Can Rangers afford to trade him? Probably not if they pick up their play and are cup contenders.

This team is light years away from being a cup contender and won't be until we get some young elite talent on the roster.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Colorado's terrible defense will show soon enough. When that happens, they'll be in the market for defense, and probably ready to pay

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
With the way Oilers fans are hitting the panic button, I wonder if we could pull off Girardi+Callahan for Taylor Hall and Justin Schultz/Jeff Petry.

There's only one way the Garden (and this board probably) would respond to that trade though, lol. Lots of boos.

You can make the argument that Taylor Hall is the best player in the world right now at his position and if you cruise any of the Edmonton blogs you'll see that argument being made frequently. Oilers management would see that offer as an insult even if you take Schultz out of it. Hall and RNH are untouchable for that franchise.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
You can make the argument that Taylor Hall is the best player in the world right now at his position and if you cruise any of the Edmonton blogs you'll see that argument being made frequently. Oilers management would see that offer as an insult even if you take Schultz out of it. Hall and RNH are untouchable for that franchise.

Oh, I am very aware of that. I just wanted to make light of the probable fact that the Garden would probably boo if we traded two fan favorites for Hall, even though it would be great for us in the long-term (and probably the short term).

Is Yakupov really available, though? I would still do the deal if you put him in Hall's place.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Oh, I am very aware of that. I just wanted to make light of the probable fact that the Garden would probably boo if we traded two fan favorites for Hall, even though it would be great for us in the long-term (and probably the short term).

Is Yakupov really available, though? I would still do the deal if you put him in Hall's place.

Any Rangers fan sitting in the Garden and complaining about losing Callahan and Girardi for Taylor Hall should be immediately ejected from the building by security for being mentally unstable and posing a safety risk to others around him.

I don't know where Oilers management stands on Yakupov but I wouldn't be surprised if he's available. It seems like something at least worth considering especially when you take into account the KHL factor if he becomes unhappy as well as the resurgence of Sam Gagner. That team has enough offense without Yakupov.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jake Gardiner is a really good player. Lefty shot. Can play both sides. He played right with McDonagh in 09-10. Gardiner was really good when Ron Wilson was the Leafs coach. He has not been the same player with Randy Carlyle. Gardiner suffered a concussion during the lockout playing in the AHL. He is not Carlyle's cup of tea. Its the reverse with Kadri. Great with Carlyle. Terrible with Wilson. Gardiner skates better than Del Zotto. The Rangers have a big decision with Del Zotto coming up. He is going to want big bucks too. Group II. Arbitration rights. Two years away from group III. Both Girardi and Del Zotto are Newport Sports guys. I think Gardiner can become a better player than Del Zotto.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If the Rangers wanted to make a win now move with Girardi I would go with Girardi and Boyle and a prospect for Plekanec. Maybe MTL feels they can move Plekanec with Eller and Galchenyuk ready and want to improve their size, defense and toughness. Plus they can resign Girardi with the Plekanec money. Plekanec at 5million is probably safer than Girardi and Brassard at that money.

Then I trade Brassard to Winnipeg for Setoguchi to get a legit top six shoot first wing that the team desperately needs. Setoguchi is an FA at the end if the season so if he is good you can resign him and if not you have Miller, Fast and the kids in the AHL for next year to try out there.

After that I call up Florida for Goc.

I don't think any of those are too farfetched and could make the team better and more sustainable.

KreiMeARiver*

I have to say that I noticed a decline in play that started last year. He makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck in the defensive zone and a lot of his defensive value is derived from shot blocking. I also think he's misused at time, there's no real reason for him to ever be on the PP. Girardi's value is still pretty high all things considered but he doesn't fit AV's system at all. He's also taking a bunch of physical wear so I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline as he progresses through his next contract.

Don't interpret this as dislike for the player, I LOVE Girardi. He's a warrior and selfless teammate. I just agree that it would be a decent idea to use him to acquire a defenseman that would better suit our new team direction. I have no idea what his value would bring back in a trade, though.

Maybe Girardi+Kristo or Kreider could bring us back an exciting young forward and a capable righthanded defenseman.

All I know is a SMART team sees where he's headed, and moves him for a return before having to overpay for what he is and what he will become. We need to sell high on him. Anyone who knows the financial markets will understand why he MUST be moved, this season.

That said, we'll probably give him 5/5.5 haha

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
All I know is a SMART team sees where he's headed, and moves him for a return before having to overpay for what he is and what he will become.

That said, we'll probably give him 5/5.5 haha

This.

I don't think a lot of the general managers in the NHL know how to make a sustainable contender in a salary cap/draft lottery era.

Asset management is paramount.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City

Nah.

Girardi/Hagelin/Kreider for Yakupov/2 rd

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Jake Gardiner is a really good player. Lefty shot. Can play both sides. He played right with McDonagh in 09-10. Gardiner was really good when Ron Wilson was the Leafs coach. He has not been the same player with Randy Carlyle. Gardiner suffered a concussion during the lockout playing in the AHL. He is not Carlyle's cup of tea. Its the reverse with Kadri. Great with Carlyle. Terrible with Wilson. Gardiner skates better than Del Zotto. The Rangers have a big decision with Del Zotto coming up. He is going to want big bucks too. Group II. Arbitration rights. Two years away from group III. Both Girardi and Del Zotto are Newport Sports guys. I think Gardiner can become a better player than Del Zotto.

Agree with most of what you're saying, RB, but just to clarify: Gardiner was at Wisconsin, but didn't spend much time on the ice with McDonagh. Gardiner spent a lot of time on the bottom pairing in his first two years, and saw 2nd unit PP time. McDonagh spent most of his NCAA career with Goloubef as the team's key shutdown pairing. Unfortunately for Gardiner, he was stuck behind guys like Smith, McBain and Schultz and never saw much PP time until his Junior year.

However, like I said, I agree with most of that. I think Gardiner is much better two-way player than Del Zotto, and his skating is certainly much better. Land Gardiner before his value jumps too much, then worry about what you're going to do with Del Zotto. Trade him for help up front if you have to.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
I think Girardi+Kreider+1st for Yakupov is a great trade for us. I'd really look into trying that if I'm in the front office.

Girardi for Biggs and Gardiner is also a solid deal for us...but I feel that trade really depends on what we can do with MDZ then. Would the plan be to keep or trade him(I hope its trade), and if so what could they get for him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad