Trading Dan Girardi

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
you guys are nuts for wanting to get rid of him..

hes a dman, pure defender.. hes not going to be asking for a ton of money like you expect.. hes a lifer ranger along with callahan

Stralman and dz will and should be traded way i mean way way way before danny g..

dz should be packaged for a top 6 fwd, or young top prospect with potential top 6..

we shoulve tried packaging him with someone for ryan over the summer..

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
yak would be sweet.

i would offer up something fair and see what happens.

hes a very, very good young offensive talent.

something we have exactly none of.

and i would keep danny and move delzaster instead.

Agree completely. MDZ is miscast as a right d-man and he isn't good enough to supplant MCD or Staal. He can't qb the powerplay and can't shoot but he's young and probably has good value around the league. It makes way too much sense to trade him for a top 6 forward which means it won't happen. :shakehead

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Let me first say that I'm a big Girardi fan. The guy would walk through fire to get this team a win and he's a true Ranger. All heart and soul.

But the OP is right. You would get pretty good return for him and if it's the right package it could help this team out a great deal. The question is do you really want to take the risk of losing two top 4 defensemen given the fact that Stall has so many injury issues? I still think the jury is out on his career longterm.

I would be open to exploring this later in the year after seeing how the team and the rest of the defensive corps fares.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

hes a dman, pure defender.. hes not going to be asking for a ton of money like you expect.. hes a lifer ranger along with callahan

Stralman and dz will and should be traded way i mean way way way before danny g..

dz should be packaged for a top 6 fwd, or young top prospect with potential top 6..

If Girardi makes it to the offseason he will get more than McDonagh, which he is not worth. He is also at the end of his prime. Not the right time to give that kind of deal.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Trade Girardi for Gardiner, as RB proposed. Trade MDZ for a LW. See if Allen can take his spot this year until McIlrath is ready.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Girardi at least has some leadership skills - I wouldn't trade this guy. Milk a few more years of beating out of him. He is a great team player and has those shifts that sometimes save the game.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Girardi is vastly over-valued. He's slow, horrible with the puck, and can't transition or break out of the zone cleanly to save his life. He will be mercilessly exposed under AV. If the Rangers wait too long, Slats will have to settle for 2nd + prospect.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

OK pal, and you are? watch the games much? Obviously not, because he's been playing like garbage since last year. Keep talking though...

If you are down for an overpayment then you'll be eating your words in a year or so. Book it.

Haven't missed one yet. And if you really feel he was playing like garbage last year, then it's safe to say your opinion on Girardi isn't one that should be taken seriously. By anyone. Ever. :dunce:

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Girardi is vastly over-valued. He's slow, horrible with the puck, and can't transition or break out of the zone cleanly to save his life. He will be mercilessly exposed under AV. If the Rangers wait too long, Slats will have to settle for 2nd + prospect.

Girardi's break out pass is fine. That's actually an aspect of his game that people here have praised over the years. And rightfully so.

And, I don't see how slow dmen who are horrible with the puck thrive in the NHL for as long as Girardi has.

This thread, like all the other end of the world threads, should be stickied, and served as a reminder to not get all ape-**** this early in the year.

Best part of your post was his value. :laugh:

2nd and a prospect. :laugh:

Where do you guys come up with his nonsense. Seriously.

NYRCSKA*

You people that say Del Zotto is a disaster yet expect other teams to trade a top 6 fwd or elite prospect for him are crazy. MDZ is not going to get much in return. If anything, a team lets us include him in a package deal to add a grinder in return in a big trade.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Girardi turns 30 in May. Group III this summer. UFA. Rangers should get something for him. He'll command over 4 million on a long-term deal. Defensemen are at a premium. Can get a lot for them. Minnesota got Setoguchi, Charlie Coyle and a 1st round pick for Brent Burns. Burns was a defenseman back then. One year away from UFA eligibility. Group III.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
You people that say Del Zotto is a disaster yet expect other teams to trade a top 6 fwd or elite prospect for him are crazy. MDZ is not going to get much in return. If anything, a team lets us include him in a package deal to add a grinder in return in a big trade.

23 year old defenseman who can put up 40 points are a very rare, and valued, commodity in this league. You'd have to package him to get back a grinder? Get real. We're not going to get Malkin for him but we could absolutely get a top 6 forward back.

NYRCSKA*

23 year old defenseman who can put up 40 points are a very rare, and valued, commodity in this league. You'd have to package him to get back a grinder? Get real. We're not going to get Malkin for him but we could absolutely get a top 6 forward back.

Then obviously he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.
:help:

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Then obviously he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.
:help:

I missed your point, sorry about that lol. I just made another post in another thread about him, I was expecting you to be more serious. Now I see that you were using hyperbole.

My bad.

NYRCSKA*

I missed your point, sorry about that lol. I just made another post in another thread about him, I was expecting you to be more serious. Now I see that you were using hyperbole.

My bad.

I'm Russian, so I have a hard time portraying sarcasm over the internet in English sometimes. I just get fed up with these posts that are along the lines of "MDZ sucks so let's trade him straight up for Stasny or some other 1st liner". There is literally no logic behind them.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Trade/Resign/Free Agency

Leafs fan here, wondering what are the odds Girardi walks to FA? Or is it fairly certain that he would need to be acquired through trade? Love him on the leafs.

Bardof425*

Yakupov is a hellova player. Girardi + Kreider for Yakupov is a steal for the Rangers. Just saying.

No way. Talk about overrated; nail yakupov is the new king of overrated. He lacks size, plays in one zone; hates to forecheck. I would take him on the Rangers in a deal around MDZ but neither Danny G or CK goes for that guy. MDZ + Boyle + 2nd.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Stay away from Yak, I think he will be the next NHLer that will bolt to the KHL when the opportunity arises.... He doesn't want to play both sides of the puck and money talks...

I would stay far away from him

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Leafs fan here, wondering what are the odds Girardi walks to FA? Or is it fairly certain that he would need to be acquired through trade? Love him on the leafs.

It ultimately depends on how the team views the core moving forward. We're thin on NHL-capable defenders who can play the right side. If we're out of it towards the deadline, a shakeup may be in order and I could see Girardi being moved.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

complete toss up right now, honestly. Girardi is absolutely not an AV-type of player, so he might be moved. But he might not. If he got to FA I don't think he'd sign somewhere else right off the bat, unless stupid money was being thrown at him. Not that kind of guy.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Stay away from Yak, I think he will be the next NHLer that will bolt to the KHL when the opportunity arises.... He doesn't want to play both sides of the puck and money talks...

I would stay far away from him

oh boy. so not true. first, hes 19.

hes a driven young guy who right now is struggling not scoring goals and helping his team win. hes about as serious at what he does as any other 1st rounder ive seen and certainly on that team. hes a serious dude.

if you know anything about this young man, hes not a quitter nor is he gonna run back to russia.

im soooo sick of every skilled player being criticized for not becoming ryan callahan. let him play his game. he needs to mature and gain some confidence.

hes a skilled goal scorer. hes got top notch offensive skills and we would be a much better team with him in red white and blue. trust me.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
oh boy. so not true. first, hes 19.

hes a driven young guy who right now is struggling not scoring goals and helping his team win. hes about as serious at what he does as any other 1st rounder ive seen and certainly on that team. hes a serious dude.

if you know anything about this young man, hes not a quitter nor is he gonna run back to russia.

im soooo sick of every skilled player being criticized for not becoming ryan callahan. let him play his game. he needs to mature and gain some confidence.

hes a skilled goal scorer. hes got top notch offensive skills and we would be a much better team with him in red white and blue. trust me.

yeah basically this. I don't know where people get Yakupov is lazy, doesn't care, no defense, whatever. I'd take his 30-40 goals over character any day.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think moving a couple of defensemen this year or upcoming off-season may be what needs to happen. They need to upgrade their skill up front. They need more size as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad