Trading Dan Girardi

Bardof425*

oh boy. so not true. first, hes 19.

hes a driven young guy who right now is struggling not scoring goals and helping his team win. hes about as serious at what he does as any other 1st rounder ive seen and certainly on that team. hes a serious dude.

if you know anything about this young man, hes not a quitter nor is he gonna run back to russia.

im soooo sick of every skilled player being criticized for not becoming ryan callahan. let him play his game. he needs to mature and gain some confidence.

hes a skilled goal scorer. hes got top notch offensive skills and we would be a much better team with him in red white and blue. trust me.

I agree that he would make us better but at what cost? His value is less today than it was before he was drafted or even last season. You are showing alot of patience with him but not Kreider. I know they are different players but why is that?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
we can start with Nail was a 1st overall pick, and has had a great rookie season. Where as Kreider is two years older and seems to be having a real tough time with the pro game. It's easier to be patient with Nail because he's not far away from who he will be, and he's proven quite a bit.

Also, I posted in the fire everyone thread, but Girardi for Gardiner-Biggs-1st is a great deal for both sides that I would pull the trigger on right now.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I agree that he would make us better but at what cost? His value is less today than it was before he was drafted or even last season. You are showing alot of patience with him but not Kreider. I know they are different players but why is that?

im sick of the yo-yo that is kreider. im not sure what i think of the kid. he hasnt done much but has he really had a chance ? he needs to play.

i say give him 20 games and give him top 9 minutes. unless and until that happens, i cant say really what we have in him. hes got the tools, the size and certainly the wheels. his skating makes my mouth water but he hasnt had the chance this year to show his game.

in his draft year he was all power forward potential. he never really had a developed offensive game and his hockey sense was nothing that stood out. now today, hes still very similar to that. that concerns me.

yak has top end offensive skills. i mean top 10 in the league potential. kid can flat out bring it. kreider never had that and prob never will.

kinda the same as del zotto in his draft year. great passer, offensive thinker. decent skater. poor shot. defensively ok, not physical and not real big. sound familiar ?

give kreider a chance or move him somewhere to give him his chance and get us back a guy with some size and good hands whos under 30. we need goals !!!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
we can start with Nail was a 1st overall pick, and has had a great rookie season. Where as Kreider is two years older and seems to be having a real tough time with the pro game. It's easier to be patient with Nail because he's not far away from who he will be, and he's proven quite a bit.

Also, I posted in the fire everyone thread, but Girardi for Gardiner-Biggs-1st is a great deal for both sides that I would pull the trigger on right now.

Seems like a pretty good deal for the Rangers. It stinks to high heaven for Toronto, especially with the 1st round throw in pick.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Re: Girardi for Gardiner. I don't get it. We're going to take a defensive D on a team that is struggling defensively and exchange him for a young D who has had problems defensively in the NHL (plus other pieces)? That makes sense.

Re: Girardi for Gardiner: I don't get it. We're going to take our best right defenseman on a team that is already switching a D from left to right and exchange him for a left defenseman (plus other pieces)? That makes sense.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Seems like a pretty good deal for the Rangers. It stinks to high heaven for Toronto, especially with the 1st round throw in pick.

The 1st makes it kinda lopsided after I thought about it a bit. Other than that, it's a fair deal. Gardiner will be great IMO but he's still relatively unproven on a team with plenty of puck movers on the backend, too many almost. Also, Reilly will be ready very soon, and will make Jake even more expendable. Toronto really need a player like Girardi, too many of their d-men have no real shutdown ability. Phaneuf can't do it all.

Re: Girardi for Gardiner. I don't get it. We're going to take a defensive D on a team that is struggling defensively and exchange him for a young D who has had problems defensively in the NHL (plus other pieces)? That makes sense.

Re: Girardi for Gardiner: I don't get it. We're going to take our best right defenseman on a team that is already switching a D from left to right and exchange him for a left defenseman (plus other pieces)? That makes sense.

The consensus is that Girardi will not succeed in a system where all defensemen have to be always active and mobile. Also, I'm in the club that believes he has peaked and will only deteriorate from this point on. The trade makes sense.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The consensus is that Girardi will not succeed in a system where all defensemen have to be always active and mobile. Also, I'm in the club that believes he has peaked and will only deteriorate from this point on. The trade makes sense.

I'm not necessarily saying that trading Girardi doesn't make sense. I'm saying that I'm confused about trading him for Gardiner.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not necessarily saying that trading Girardi doesn't make sense. I'm saying that I'm confused about trading him for Gardiner.

The Rangers need more players who can control a puck and make a play. They have (2) very good defensive d-men in Staal and McDonagh. MDZ is above average. Moore looks promising. Stralman is above average.

Gardiner is something this team lacks.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Rangers need more players who can control a puck and make a play. They have (2) very good defensive d-men in Staal and McDonagh. MDZ is above average. Moore looks promising. Stralman is above average.

Gardiner is something this team lacks.

I might buy that, but where do you play him in the lineup? You just named 4 left defenseman plus Stralman. DZ is trying to learn the right side. Gardiner is a left defenseman.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not sure he has in the NHL. I believe he did some of it in college and in the AHL.

That's a very different story. He's not an either side defenseman. He's a left defenseman. All excellent D spend time on both sides when they're coming up. They end up staying on one side because they're stronger on that side. I don't want any defensemen playing on their weak side, much less 2 in one lineup (of course if DZ is moved, that stops being an issue).

Gardiner might be a smoother puck mover, but he'd be a disaster for this team playing on his weak side.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I would rather see Del Zotto moved then Girardi. I also strongly strongly disagree with the notion of him being on a decline.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If so, that means Schultz played on the left. Yet, he plays on the right in the NHL, most of the time.

Gardiner played the right-side for his first two seasons at Wisconsin. He switched in his Junior year when he was bumped to the first pairing with Schultz. Until then he was stuck behind Smith/Schultz and McDonagh/Goloubef. He also played the right-side as recently as last night where he spent a portion of the 3rd period paired with Rielly.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gardiner played the right-side for his first two seasons at Wisconsin. He switched in his Junior year when he was bumped to the first pairing with Schultz. Until then he was stuck behind Smith/Schultz and McDonagh/Goloubef. He also played the right-side as recently as last night where he spent a portion of the 3rd period paired with Rielly.

Fair enough. I still feel like the preferred side for the player is the left. In other words, you're going to get better play from him in that position. I also still don't think that Girardi for Gardiner does anything to help this team, even if he would be on the right for us.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think the Rangers need to shoot higher than Gardiner for Girardi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad