Trading Dan Girardi

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
If a player is being benched in Edmonton, you don't trade a top defenseman + 1st round pick + your top prospect for him

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The Yakupov stuff is concerning. You heard so many things about him in his draft year that deflected the Russian stigma, but 4 games into his second season and he's already talking about not wanting to play a 200ft game. You'd be foolish not to kick the tires, but putting together a major package would be foolish. If the team is rebuilding, sure, but hard to see us dealing for him without creating another hole.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
I think Girardi+Kreider+1st for Yakupov is a great trade for us. I'd really look into trying that if I'm in the front office.

Girardi for Biggs and Gardiner is also a solid deal for us...but I feel that trade really depends on what we can do with MDZ then. Would the plan be to keep or trade him(I hope its trade), and if so what could they get for him?

If I traded him, I'd try to package him with Pyatt (or someone else, depending on the quality coming back) and bring back a righthanded defenseman and a capable winger.

To Nashville: A lot could be in play. They have 4 RH D-Men (Weber, Jones are probably untouchable but Ryan Ellis and Kevin Klein might be on the table). They have a lot of forwards, too. Maybe a big deal would could be worked out if they look out of the playoff picture.
To Phoenix: Another team with 4 RH defenseman (Rundblad, Stone, Morris, and Michalek). Lot of forwards that they could part with, too.
To Dallas: Robidas and Chiasson/Eakin?
To LA: Matt Greene and Matt Frattin?

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
This is a very dangerous way of thinking. If you think Girardi (who is soon to become a presumably very expensive UFA who will be looking for a HUGE payday, and has looked awful dating back to last season) is untouchable...then I don't know what to tell you.

I hear you, and I'm guessing the answer to that will become a bit clearer as the season progresses.

Which would mean it was a bad deal 1 or 2 years into the contract when his game really starts to decline. He is already noticeably slower than he was a few years ago. He doesn't have the physical gifts for a prolonged career, imo.

And AV is going to be a 1 year wonder, so I'm not making any major signings with his "system" in mind for the future.

The whole "system" thing is such a cop out. He looked bad last year under Torts, also, which to me, is his IDEAL system.

If AV is a 1 year wonder. Which I can totally see. He's got Low/Trottier written all over him. He's got doe eyes in every interview.

Then who replaces him? I was thinking the other day Laviolette would squeeze in with this bunch as is and could be a blessing for DG.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Laviolette would be alright but he would have to allow the D to play and not have the team just try to out gun the other teams.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
If I traded him, I'd try to package him with Pyatt (or someone else, depending on the quality coming back) and bring back a righthanded defenseman and a capable winger.

To Nashville: A lot could be in play. They have 4 RH D-Men (Weber, Jones are probably untouchable but Ryan Ellis and Kevin Klein might be on the table). They have a lot of forwards, too. Maybe a big deal would could be worked out if they look out of the playoff picture.
To Phoenix: Another team with 4 RH defenseman (Rundblad, Stone, Morris, and Michalek). Lot of forwards that they could part with, too.
To Dallas: Robidas and Chiasson/Eakin?
To LA: Matt Greene and Matt Frattin?

The problem with a lot of those players is that they're either young and have good potential and thus their teams don't want to trade them. OR they are too old and wouldn't be here for the long run.

If we for example traded Girardi for Giggs and Gardener, then we should move MDZ for a scoring winger. I can't bring a name to mind though that is young, has good potential and would actually be traded from the team.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

A rough start where the team is playing poorly as a whole. I agree with the notion that Torts helped Girardi's game tremendously, but I think it's a tad too early to say if Girardi is a much worse player now for it.

Girardi made a name for himself before Torts came to NY, so I don't think much of that statement.

I think it's WAY too early to be throwing around silly assumptions like, his game is on the decline.

Certain opinions here are respected for a reason, in comparison to others.

KreiMeARiver*

A rough start where the team is playing poorly as a whole. I agree with the notion that Torts helped Girardi's game tremendously, but I think it's a tad too early to say if Girardi is a much worse player now for it.

Dude his decline started last year. Did you watch the games?

KreiMeARiver*

Girardi made a name for himself before Torts came to NY, so I don't think much of that statement.

I think it's WAY too early to be throwing around silly assumptions like, his game is on the decline.

Certain opinions here are respected for a reason, in comparison to others.

OK pal, and you are? watch the games much? Obviously not, because he's been playing like garbage since last year. Keep talking though...

If you are down for an overpayment then you'll be eating your words in a year or so. Book it.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I think that's a bit too much...maybe Girardi, Kreider and a 2nd.

Uhuuuum ...

Hell, leave the pick out! That should be enough(for the Oils, nominally). I'd take it. Staal and McD as clear cut 1st D pair. Let'em gel, they both are our true all-around D's.

We would get tight on D though, wont you say?

I agree that G's potential in NY might have peaked. A change of scenery might make it look different. Or it could just aswell happen here. A little better offensive skill, I'd love to see from G.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Yakupov stuff is concerning. You heard so many things about him in his draft year that deflected the Russian stigma, but 4 games into his second season and he's already talking about not wanting to play a 200ft game. You'd be foolish not to kick the tires, but putting together a major package would be foolish. If the team is rebuilding, sure, but hard to see us dealing for him without creating another hole.

He clearly isn't going to be a Filatov level bust, but Zherdev is still very much available.

KreiMeARiver*

Uhuuuum ...

Hell, leave the pick out! That should be enough(for the Oils, nominally). I'd take it. Staal and McD as clear cut 1st D pair. Let'em gel, they both are our true all-around D's.

We would get tight on D though, wont you say?

I agree that G's potential in NY might have peaked. A change of scenery might make it look different. Or it could just aswell happen here. A little better offensive skill, I'd love to see from G.

You can't overpay a guy on the wrong side of his peak when your team can't score goals...at all. Asset management is key. Sell him now while his value is still high. It's just smart business.

But yeah we could probably leave the pick out.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If a player is being benched in Edmonton, you don't trade a top defenseman + 1st round pick + your top prospect for him

He's not being benched because he's bad. He's being benched because his coach wants to stifle his offensive skill in order to create another Mike Richards clone. That seems to be the school of thought these days and I can't stand it.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He clearly isn't going to be a Filatov level bust, but Zherdev is still very much available.

I think he's going to be a very good player in this league, but he's got a long way to go. People will ride his draft status for the next few years, or until he proves he can live up to the expectations.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
He's not being benched because he's bad. He's being benched because his coach wants to stifle his offensive skill in order to create another Mike Richards clone. That seems to be the school of thought these days and I can't stand it.

I don't know much about what's going on there, but people here wanted Eakins as our coach :dunno:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, what are they thinking expecting him to play both sides of the puck. There are plenty of players who both play defense at least respectably well and put up great numbers. Asking Yak to be one of those players isn't stifling his creativity.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
You can't overpay a guy on the wrong side of his peak when your team can't score goals...at all. Asset management is key. Sell him now while his value is still high. It's just smart business.

But yeah we could probably leave the pick out.

I totally agree. His peak is reached, he's an UFA and the Wizard of Oz might just overpay him by a million. Contract lenght, for a solely defensive defensemen is also a factor.

Trade is the only reasonable option ...

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't know much about what's going on there, but people here wanted Eakins as our coach :dunno:

Man I want ****in Herb Brooks, he was chill.

Yeah, what are they thinking expecting him to play both sides of the puck. There are plenty of players who both play defense at least respectably well and put up great numbers. Asking Yak to be one of those players isn't stifling his creativity.

Or they could leave him alone and let him become a 50 goal scorer. Not every player is a defensive player just like not every player is an offensive player.

But grinders and 4C's who can't score a lick are worshiped by fans an coaches, while great snipers with all the skill in the world who aren't the most well-rounded are cast aside like lepers. Gretzky is lucky he played in the 80's; they would hate him now.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Trade Girardi? No way! I would rather move Del Zotto before his value drops even more. I think he would do better out in the Western Conf anyway. I could see the Oilers being a good fit for DZ.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Trade Girardi? No way! I would rather move Del Zotto before his value drops even more. I think he would do better out in the Western Conf anyway. I could see the Oilers being a good fit for DZ.

Yeah we'd all rather move Del Zotto. I'd rather move Asham than Lundqvist, too. But Girardi would get a significantly better return.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I would trade both of them.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
yak would be sweet.

i would offer up something fair and see what happens.

hes a very, very good young offensive talent.

something we have exactly none of.

and i would keep danny and move delzaster instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->