Trading Dan Girardi

KreiMeARiver*

His game is in the decline, is an UFA, and will want more money than he's worth. I don't think we should resign him...not a smart move, imo.

That said, I wonder what kind of return we could get for Girardi...young assets wise. Edmonton needs D...like...real bad.

Girardi+ for Yakupov?? ;)

hell give them Girardi and Del Sucko...

What do you guys think we could fetch for him?

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I love Girardi, for the beating he takes, and the sacrifices he makes. But he is pretty bad with the puck, and is not a #2 D-Man.

Every time he gets the puck behind the net in our zone, he just shoots it along the boards, which causes turnovers in our own end. He's not a great passer, and shouldn't be on the PP (though this isn't his fault).

I doubt we'd be able to get anyone like Yaks with Girardi in the deal considering he's a UFA at the end of the season. This again, would create even more turnover with the team, which I think has gone pretty poorly for us since the 11-12 team. I'd like to sign G again, and then go out and get an actual #2 RHD.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I love Girardi, for the beating he takes, and the sacrifices he makes. But he is pretty bad with the puck, and is not a #2 D-Man.

Every time he gets the puck behind the net in our zone, he just shoots it along the boards, which causes turnovers in our own end. He's not a great passer, and shouldn't be on the PP (though this isn't his fault).

I doubt we'd be able to get anyone like Yaks with Girardi in the deal considering he's a UFA at the end of the season. This again, would create even more turnover with the team, which I think has gone pretty poorly for us since the 11-12 team. I'd like to sign G again, and then go out and get an actual #2 RHD.

Danny G is going to want #1 RHD money. Just because he is not an offensive wizard doesn't mean that his defensive play isn't that of a top pairing defenseman.

Also with regards to the bolded part, that is simply not true. While he doesn't have a break out pass of Del Zotto, Girardi certainly is better than you are giving him credit for.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not sure I see a player in decline so much as I see a player struggling to grasp the concept that AV is preaching right now.

I see ALOT of guys failing at that at the moment.

I see Hank getting beat CLEAN on goals he should be stopping. is his game also in decline?

Girardi is still the top pairing right side defenceman that has been gere the last 3-4 seasons.

Any trade that involves him will HAVE to be an overpayment from the other team as we would then have Stralman as the team #1 right side guy. That is something no one wants.

KreiMeARiver*

Not sure I see a player in decline so much as I see a player struggling to grasp the concept that AV is preaching right now.

I see ALOT of guys failing at that at the moment.

I see Hank getting beat CLEAN on goals he should be stopping. is his game also in decline?

Girardi is still the top pairing right side defenceman that has been gere the last 3-4 seasons.

Any trade that involves him will HAVE to be an overpayment from the other team as we would then have Stralman as the team #1 right side guy. That is something no one wants.

I see your points, but this doesn't change the fact that he's going to want more money than he's worth. Like 5years/5mm per. NO THANKS

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Teams like Colorado, Toronto, Edmonton, Dallas would be looking for a player just like Girardi. I would think he could return a couple of good assets back.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is he in decline or is he just off to a bad start in a new system?

Doesn't necessarily change the decision to move him, but it's worth considering.

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA

Doesn't necessarily change the decision to move him, but it's worth considering.

Why would someone consider to move #1D on this team? I mean you can move anyone who is up for a new contract, but why? How about Lundqvist? Same situation: plays poorly, perhaps in decline, in his last year? This has to stop already! King and Dan are untouchable at this time. There is no Rangers w/o them. Not in the few years...

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I see your points, but this doesn't change the fact that he's going to want more money than he's worth. Like 5years/5mm per. NO THANKS

I give Girardi 5 per over 5 years EASILY

Unless I am getting ateam to come at me with an offer I couldn't refuse, I retain the player long term.

WORST case is he's a 2nd pairing defenceman. Best case is that he starts to "get" the concept AV is preaching and we get to see the player that helped both Staal and McDonagh have their best seasons to date in their short NHL careers.

All of that said, Girardi is a tradable asset. As in Lundqvist if thinge REALLY go south

KreiMeARiver*

Why would someone consider to move #1D on this team? I mean you can move anyone who is up for a new contract, but why? How about Lundqvist? Same situation: plays poorly, perhaps in decline, in his last year? This has to stop already! King and Dan are untouchable at this time. There is no Rangers w/o them. Not in the few years...

This is a very dangerous way of thinking. If you think Girardi (who is soon to become a presumably very expensive UFA who will be looking for a HUGE payday, and has looked awful dating back to last season) is untouchable...then I don't know what to tell you.

I hear you, and I'm guessing the answer to that will become a bit clearer as the season progresses.

I give Girardi 5 per over 5 years EASILY

Unless I am getting ateam to come at me with an offer I couldn't refuse, I retain the player long term.

WORST case is he's a 2nd pairing defenceman. Best case is that he starts to "get" the concept AV is preaching and we get to see the player that helped both Staal and McDonagh have their best seasons to date in their short NHL careers.

All of that said, Girardi is a tradable asset. As in Lundqvist if things REALLY go south

Which would mean it was a bad deal 1 or 2 years into the contract when his game really starts to decline. He is already noticeably slower than he was a few years ago. He doesn't have the physical gifts for a prolonged career, imo.

And AV is going to be a 1 year wonder, so I'm not making any major signings with his "system" in mind for the future.

The whole "system" thing is such a cop out. He looked bad last year under Torts, also, which to me, is his IDEAL system.

dccuse

Oct 5, 2006
New York City
Girardi

Oh man, Yakupov!!!

I dont care about his "not forechecking" quote - get him out there for us. Give them Danny G. Maybe Allen is the next Girardi, or something similar and we find out that we broke even on D and upgraded on offense.

I wouldn't give them a first and kreider. Probably either or, with Girardi

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I'll take both McDonagh and Staal over Girardi, and I love Girardi.

I'm not advocating for a trade of Girardi, but it's certainly something that warrants consideration.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't wanna turn this into a pissing match, but I do feel Girardi has a reputation that's a bit above his actual talent level, and therefore could garner a return that supersedes his actual worth. As such, I'm very much for trading him.

NYRCSKA*

Yakupov is a hellova player. Girardi + Kreider for Yakupov is a steal for the Rangers. Just saying.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'll take both McDonagh and Staal over Girardi, and I love Girardi.

I'm not advocating for a trade of Girardi, but it's certainly something that warrants consideration.

Girardi should not make more money than McDonagh. He should be traded for assets. He will get more than Jay Bouwmeester got at the deadline last year. I would hate to lose the guy, but he has a ton of mileage on him and I can see the 2nd half of his contract getting ugly. Go get a 1st and a prospect or two.

Maybe Yakupov bait, but remember, Howson is in that front office now and he loves Del Zotto, Kreider and Hagelin. I think the Rangers are primed to make a run at Yakupov if Edmonton wants to sell, but that remains to be seen.

Maybe to Toronto for Gardiner/Franson, Reimer and a pick

Maybe to Ottawa for Zibanejad and Ceci and a pick

Maybe to Detroit for Brendan Smith and Nyqvist and a pick

Maybe to Anaheim for Vatanen and Holland and a pick

Maybe to Dallas for a 1st and Chiasson or Ritchie

Would have loved to do Girardi and Del Zotto to Colorado for O'Reilly, Downie and Barrie but I doubt Colorado shakes things up too much at this stage.

Basically sorry for the trade vomit but there are a ton of options if Girardi is moved because every team could use a player like Dan Girardi

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
The Rangers and Oilers make good trade partners.
Problem is, they want to hold on to all their young front end talent. When the smart thing to do is trade one of them, to fill out their team.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Girardi should not make more money than McDonagh. He should be traded for assets. He will get more than Jay Bouwmeester got at the deadline last year. I would hate to lose the guy, but he has a ton of mileage on him and I can see the 2nd half of his contract getting ugly. Go get a 1st and a prospect or two.

Maybe Yakupov bait, but remember, Howson is in that front office now and he loves Del Zotto, Kreider and Hagelin. I think the Rangers are primed to make a run at Yakupov if Edmonton wants to sell, but that remains to be seen.

Maybe to Toronto for Gardiner/Franson, Reimer and a pick

Maybe to Ottawa for Zibanejad and Ceci and a pick

Maybe to Detroit for Brendan Smith and Nyqvist and a pick

Maybe to Anaheim for Vatanen and Holland and a pick

Maybe to Dallas for a 1st and Chiasson or Ritchie

Would have loved to do Girardi and Del Zotto to Colorado for O'Reilly, Downie and Barrie but I doubt Colorado shakes things up too much at this stage.

Basically sorry for the trade vomit but there are a ton of options if Girardi is moved because every team could use a player like Dan Girardi
All of these are overpayment tbh. I would love the Dallas, Ottawa and Detroit trades. All heavily slanted in our favor.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers and Oilers make good trade partners.
Problem is, they want to hold on to all their young front end talent. When the smart thing to do is trade one of them, to fill out their team.

The thing is the Oilers think they're gonna duplicate the 80's with these guys and just score people to death. They need to realize that those teams had 4 hall of famers in the top 6 and it probably isn't gonna happen again.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Said it in another thread, but Gardiner and Biggs for an extended Girardi would be a solid deal for us. Never liked Biggs as a first round pick, but he does project as the kind of player we've had an incredibly difficult time developing ourselves.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
All of these are overpayment tbh. I would love the Dallas, Ottawa and Detroit trades. All heavily slanted in our favor.

I mean I'm not going to post anything where the rangers are getting hosed.

I think the Detroit and Dallas (with Ritchie) offers are the fairest but I don't think any are complete disasters. Just trying to find teams with players with first line upside that maybe some of the shine has worn off. Plus maybe a defense replacement.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Said it in another thread, but Gardiner and Biggs for an extended Girardi would be a solid deal for us. Never liked Biggs as a first round pick, but he does project as the kind of player we've had an incredibly difficult time developing ourselves.

Exactly. Gardiner and Biggs provide something we need at (2) positions. A power forward who enjoys causing pain and a puck mover who can QB the PP.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
I have to say that I noticed a decline in play that started last year. He makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck in the defensive zone and a lot of his defensive value is derived from shot blocking. I also think he's misused at time, there's no real reason for him to ever be on the PP. Girardi's value is still pretty high all things considered but he doesn't fit AV's system at all. He's also taking a bunch of physical wear so I wouldn't be surprised to see a decline as he progresses through his next contract.

Don't interpret this as dislike for the player, I LOVE Girardi. He's a warrior and selfless teammate. I just agree that it would be a decent idea to use him to acquire a defenseman that would better suit our new team direction. I have no idea what his value would bring back in a trade, though.

Maybe Girardi+Kristo or Kreider could bring us back an exciting young forward and a capable righthanded defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad