Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Montreal Canadiens Defensive Dilemma

As for Savard, the Canadiens are looking to receive a healthy return, and given Hughes’ track record of not bowing to pressure, it’s unlikely he’ll accept any deal that doesn’t match his set price.

“Savard is a tricky one,” he said. “He is beloved in that room. When they traded Sean Monahan, it devastated that dressing room. That team is trying to turn it over during the next year or two. And it can’t just be about asset management all the time.”

“I think it’s going to be a pretty interesting discussion within those walls tomorrow. They’re getting calls on him. The Leafs are one of the teams that have enquired about David Savard. But the Leafs, like other teams, are like “We’re not paying that!”. And the Habs are telling other teams “We’re not wavering from that, because we can trade him in a year at the deadline, or the summer, or maybe never,”.

There’s no doubt Savard is one of the most popular players in the Canadiens dressing room, and there’s certainly value in keeping a veteran presence to mentor one of the youngest lineups in the NHL.

On the flip side, emotions aside, he’s a 33-year-old defenceman who is unlikely to improve his value in the next year, which means the Canadiens have to navigate the situation carefully.

Team culture is important, but not at the expense of potentially adding a high-end asset to the organization that could play a big part in the team’s long-term rebuild plans. As we saw last season when interest in forward Josh Anderson was high, perceived value in the NHL can shift considerably from one season to the next.

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
You guys overrate Lilly like crazy on here. He’s had a really rough season. Might as well move him now before you gotta pay him. Dumba and Zucker for Lilly and?
I get that... it just seems the potential is there but I don't know if he has the brains for it.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I guess if you had roll dice on who last year Montour can be, Dumba does have the profile. I never really like him when I watch him play though

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Dubas gonna trade us Crosby and say "psych" to Pens and come back. The 4D chess plan finally concludes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad