Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm surprised Josh Bailey isn't signed to a PTO, I remember them saying on sportsnet during free agent Frenzy to watch for Josh Bailey and.Toronto.

Granted nobody including the Leafs probably thought they'd get both Bertuzzi and Domi but still why not bring in some competition for Lafferty?

Reactions: Sypher04

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I'm surprised Josh Bailey isn't signed to a PTO, I remember them saying on sportsnet during free agent Frenzy to watch for Josh Bailey and.Toronto.

Granted nobody including the Leafs probably thought they'd get both Bertuzzi and Domi but still why not bring in some competition for Lafferty?
Josh Baily is a failed player, by some reports problematic premadonna without the talent.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

That would be a guy worth a look.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Anyone think Treliving has a move up his sleeve before the season starts or is the roster pretty much set before camp even opens?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Anyone think Treliving has a move up his sleeve before the season starts or is the roster pretty much set before camp even opens?

I don't have any expectations pre camp aside from maybe another PTO or two.
I think any trades or anything are more like to happen in November or maybe we snag someone interesting off the waiver wire or something.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't have any expectations pre camp aside from maybe another PTO or two.
I think any trades or anything are more like to happen in November or maybe we snag someone interesting off the waiver wire or something.
I'd agree with that, roster is pretty much set.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Guessing Kane goes home to Buffalo to finish out his career.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Also a little surprised we didn’t give Bailey a PTO but at the same time his skating is too slow and not what we need in the bottom six.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I still think 88 gets moved, Lindholm and Zardov for 88 and a small +, but could just be wishful thinking…….

Reactions: DougGilmour93

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Guessing Kane goes home to Buffalo to finish out his career.

One interesting cap loophole may help the Leafs sign Patrick Kane to a 1-year deal​

With NHL training camps set to open this weekend, we're about to see the Patrick Kane chatter begin to pick up again. A couple of short weeks ago, Kane revealed that he would begin entertaining offers during training camp and the preseason, and there are expected to be plenty of potential suitors for the 3-time Stanley Cup champion. He may not sign, however, until November or December, as was originally projected in his 4-6 month recovery timeline.

During a recent appearance on TSN 1050, former NHLer Dave Poulin revealed that, as long as Kane is cleared to return and that his hip issues are behind him, he expects the Maple Leafs to be one of the primary teams who will look to enlist Kane's services. The problem here is that the Leafs are currently over the salary cap by nearly $3M. So how can the Leafs afford Kane if he's not willing to take a league minimum deal? Well, the answer isn't as complicated as some might think.

Kane is turning 35 years old on November 19th. If he does wish to sign in Toronto and if he opts to remain unsigned through the month of October and the front half of November, he'll be able to ink a 35+ contract as of November 19th. If he does that, the Leafs could, in theory, offer him a 35+ contract for the remainder of this season at $775K, which is the league's minimum salary, and then tack on performance bonuses.

How would this work? Well, his base salary would be $775K this season. This would remain his cap hit no matter how many performance bonuses he hit. Let's say, for example, the Leafs offered Kane his $775K salary, plus an extra $1M if he plays in at least half of their games this season (41 games). Then they could tack on an extra $1M if he reaches the 50-point plateau. Then they could tack on an extra $1M if Kane produces 20 goals. In this situation, Kane's total salary will end up being $3.775M for this season, all while carrying a $775K cap hit.

Reactions: Clyde Brewer

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

One interesting cap loophole may help the Leafs sign Patrick Kane to a 1-year deal​

With NHL training camps set to open this weekend, we're about to see the Patrick Kane chatter begin to pick up again. A couple of short weeks ago, Kane revealed that he would begin entertaining offers during training camp and the preseason, and there are expected to be plenty of potential suitors for the 3-time Stanley Cup champion. He may not sign, however, until November or December, as was originally projected in his 4-6 month recovery timeline.

During a recent appearance on TSN 1050, former NHLer Dave Poulin revealed that, as long as Kane is cleared to return and that his hip issues are behind him, he expects the Maple Leafs to be one of the primary teams who will look to enlist Kane's services. The problem here is that the Leafs are currently over the salary cap by nearly $3M. So how can the Leafs afford Kane if he's not willing to take a league minimum deal? Well, the answer isn't as complicated as some might think.

Kane is turning 35 years old on November 19th. If he does wish to sign in Toronto and if he opts to remain unsigned through the month of October and the front half of November, he'll be able to ink a 35+ contract as of November 19th. If he does that, the Leafs could, in theory, offer him a 35+ contract for the remainder of this season at $775K, which is the league's minimum salary, and then tack on performance bonuses.

How would this work? Well, his base salary would be $775K this season. This would remain his cap hit no matter how many performance bonuses he hit. Let's say, for example, the Leafs offered Kane his $775K salary, plus an extra $1M if he plays in at least half of their games this season (41 games). Then they could tack on an extra $1M if he reaches the 50-point plateau. Then they could tack on an extra $1M if Kane produces 20 goals. In this situation, Kane's total salary will end up being $3.775M for this season, all while carrying a $775K cap hit.
Interesting. Feel pretty old realizing Kane is 35, where does the time go?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

..and then that bonus is tagged onto our cap for the following season, when Matthews and potentially Nylanders extensions kick in. Would be tough this year and next without trades.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens

That leaves a little extra time to trade Nylander and free up Kane's jersey for him :naughty:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Gambrell
Timmins
Jones
Benoit

All worth discussing. All question marks. Timmins is the biggest question mark to me. I don't see him as our first call-up, nor do i see him in the bottom pairing. I could be wrong though.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Gambrell
Timmins
Jones
Benoit

All worth discussing. All question marks. Timmins is the biggest question mark to me. I don't see him as our first call-up, nor do i see him in the bottom pairing. I could be wrong though.
Timmins won't make it through waivers to be called up.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

Something has to happen to get under the cap. Unless they go 11-7 to open the season I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad