Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I feel bad for TJ. There’s a lot going on in his life off the ice, and I honestly can’t imagine I would be handling it any better. He hasn’t been good enough consistently, but he’s had his moments. I just wish he could make it happen
I feel bad for him as well. He's going through a hell of a time. But as a fan, he is not helping my team at all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Couldn't even muster Scott Morrow in that deal... rough... but solid prospects. Pittsburgh had nothing prospect wise so this will kick start that. Carolina is a great drafting team. Lucius was a steal in 2022 in the 4th round (we picked Hildeby 2 picks before Lucius).

A good deal for Carolina to bolster their scoring, they needed it. A decent start to the retool in Pittsburgh. I'd say it's a win win.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542 and kb

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pens board is trashing Dubas over the trade.

People always expect massive returns for rentals. A 2nd (potentially a 1st), a capable mid line winger locked up to a decent deal and 3 solid prospects (2 of them drafted 2nd round) is not something to be mad at.

I will say they should have been able to grab a first without that horrible condition. That's probably the worst part of it.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Good or bad as an idea, Dubas apparently valued Bunting over a 1st or its prospect equivalent. I can also appreciate it some if getting rid of conditional picks based on a re-signing has given rise to conditional picks based on team success. As with a number of deals in which a playoff bound team acquires a pending UFA, team success and/or a re-signing should make this trade a rather nice one for Carolina.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Couldn't even muster Scott Morrow in that deal... rough... but solid prospects. Pittsburgh had nothing prospect wise so this will kick start that.

Comes down to Bunting. If he plays well for the Pens, he'd potentially to be able to get a 2nd or maybe even more on his own later on.

I'd say a decent return for a rental, though not a blowout of a win for the Pens

Reactions: SprDaVE

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Comes down to Bunting. If he plays well for the Pens, he'd potentially to be able to get a 2nd or maybe even more on his own later on.

I'd say a decent return for a rental, though not a blowout of a win for the Pens
2 years after this at $4.5M.

Not a chance he gets a second.

Reactions: rumman

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Realistically speaking, no fan ever has a credible sense of what any "non-name brand" prospect might become, so I think it's a bit foolish to criticize trades like this because we wouldn't even know what we are criticizing.

Reactions: Menzinger

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I’m sorry but Dubas should be burnt over the coals for that trade. Held out in a bidding war for that! A bunch of mid. Quantity over quality rarely works out. Even the first round pick is conditional, just a horrific trade. Thank God he isn’t here anymore

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We need an elite PK forward. We’ll go nowhere if we can’t do better than 50% on the PK in the playoffs.

I think we have enough PK ability on this team. Goaltending was a massive reason why the PK crapped the bed this season. We also acquired 2 big shot blocking capable PKers. This team really needs someone that can make a difference in terms of scoring chances first and foremost and someone that isn't completely inept defensively or along the boards.

Jason Zucker for example would make a lot of sense if he didn't make over 5M. He fits that mold. Maybe at 50% retention the Leafs can find a way.

I know people don't want him back and all (all valid reasons), but I would do a lot to try and get Nazem Kadri back here. He'd be such a massive boost. That's my massive unrealistic dream by tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Good or bad as an idea, Dubas apparently valued Bunting over a 1st or its prospect equivalent. I can also appreciate it some if getting rid of conditional picks based on a re-signing has given rise to conditional picks based on team success. As with a number of deals in which a playoff bound team acquires a pending UFA, team success and/or a re-signing should make this trade a rather nice one for Carolina.
I don't think it's that bad of a return in general, a lot of quantity over quality but no one is trading their elite prospects for guys without term and the Penguins' prospect pool was abysmal. It's not good but it's not a total disaster IMO...and I will never, ever, EVER go out of my way to defend Kyle Dubas because he can go eat a bowl of pine cones.

That said, if Dubas values Bunting over a good prospect for a team in Pittsburgh's position he has lost his mind. They need to set a nuclear warhead to that roster ASAP whether Crosby likes it or not. They aren't winning shit anytime soon, full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino