Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's too obvious really.

They could try to augment the other parts of the roster.

Certainly, I still think trading a forward would make some sense either at the TDL or in the offseason (I don't really care which one) but if the team continues playing like this the coach should have been sacked well before then

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I got a question which might be a weird one but I thought about it one night for some strange reason. Can you trade coaches in this league? For example the Seattle expansion team when they are looking for a coach, would we be able to trade Babcock for some picks? Probably a silly question but Babcock will still be under contract for us and we just signed Keefe to a 2 year deal which ends around the time of the expansion. Or would we have to have a mutual agreement with Babcock to fire him/him resign and then maybe trade them a late round pick for one of their higher picks to make it work?

Yeah I know, probably weird but was just a sleepless night laying in bed thinking.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Couple Flames fans on their board said something around Kapanen for Hammer could be close to value. Can we please get a warrior like this guy?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Couple Flames fans on their board said something around Kapanen for Hammer could be close to value. Can we please get a warrior like this guy?

Who's hammer? Hamonic?

I would be down for that but Dubas hates players with any grit or attitude so Idk

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
He traded for Muzzin :huh:

I love Muzzin but he's a situational big-time hitter. Muzzin is not the type of defenseman who gets into people's faces on a shift to shift basis or has a real mean streak.

Muzzin has yet to even consider dropping his gloves at any point in a leaf uniform yet (not that I'm saying he has too, I'm merely pointing out his play style.)

Hamonic is a far different dman in this case. His physical on almost every shift and has a far nastier mean streak. He's a guy who has some serious attitude and would def answer the bells on the Mathews and Barrie hits this past week.

Reactions: Cobra777

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

No deal for me. Maybe Johnsson if CGY adds a mid-round pick.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I love Muzzin but he's a situational big-time hitter. Muzzin is not the type of defenseman who gets into people's faces on a shift to shift basis or has a real mean streak.

Muzzin has yet to even consider dropping his gloves at any point in a leaf uniform yet (not that I'm saying he has too, I'm merely pointing out his play style.)

Hamonic is a far different dman in this case. His physical on almost every shift and has a far nastier mean streak. He's a guy who has some serious attitude and would def answer the bells on the Mathews and Barrie hits this past week.

Doesn’t Hamonic only have like 4 hits credited to him this season?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think AJ will be the odd man out once the team is healthy. Would be nice to see if Dubas can pull off AJ+Ceci for a better Defensive Dman with terms.
Put Hyman back with Matthews and Willie, promote Moore to play with Marner and JT and keep Soup, Kerfoot and Kap together.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I never liked him as a foundation piece, but what if we rescued Luke Schenn out of the minors from Tampa's system? He had a pretty good second half in Vancouver last season and makes $700K, and would basically mean we'd never have to play Marincin again. No risk. Not much reward.

At a different price point, I like Ryan Murray and David Savard, and am also curious if Noah Hanifin may be available given his terrible numbers on Calgary...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Think AJ will be the odd man out once the team is healthy. Would be nice to see if Dubas can pull off AJ+Ceci for a better Defensive Dman with terms.
Put Hyman back with Matthews and Willie, promote Moore to play with Marner and JT and keep Soup, Kerfoot and Kap together.

I'm undecided whether to keep Kapanen or Johnsson. Johnsson seems like the more skilled player by a decent margin, but is a little older, skews the team smaller and takes a lot of dumb penalties. Kapanen seems to be all tunnel vision and doesn't find chemistry with anyone, though he's a good penalty killing threat on occasion. It's too bad Kappy has taken a bit of a step back this year.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm undecided whether to keep Kapanen or Johnsson. Johnsson seems like the more skilled player by a decent margin, but is a little older, skews the team smaller and takes a lot of dumb penalties. Kapanen seems to be all tunnel vision and doesn't find chemistry with anyone, though he's a good penalty killing threat on occasion. It's too bad Kappy has taken a bit of a step back this year.
To AJ is a very typical mid 6 winger that can pot 20 goals and 40-50 pts. While Kap can do all that plus PK and is actually a threat due to his speed.

Reactions: Cobra777

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Fire Babcock, Hire Keefe or Boudreau (if available)

Leafs
- Blues
Robert Bortuzzo for Justin Holl & Nick Petan

Leafs - Ducks
Nick Ritchie & 2nd for Andreas Johnsson

Leafs - Wild
Marcus Foligno (1M Ret) for Ducks 2nd + Small add

Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Soup - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Foligno - Goat - Moore

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Borruzzo

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I never liked him as a foundation piece, but what if we rescued Luke Schenn out of the minors from Tampa's system? He had a pretty good second half in Vancouver last season and makes $700K, and would basically mean we'd never have to play Marincin again. No risk. Not much reward.

At a different price point, I like Ryan Murray and David Savard, and am also curious if Noah Hanifin may be available given his terrible numbers on Calgary...

Schenn is 10x worse than Marincin.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Fire Babcock, Hire Keefe or Boudreau (if available)

Leafs
- Blues
Robert Bortuzzo for Justin Holl & Nick Petan

Leafs - Ducks
Nick Ritchie & 2nd for Andreas Johnsson

Leafs - Wild
Marcus Foligno (1M Ret) for Ducks 2nd + Small add

Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Soup - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Foligno - Goat - Moore

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Dermott - Borruzzo
I like the hire Keefe, the rest is awful.

Bortuzzo is way worse than Holl has been this year, and Ritchie is a huge downgrade from Johnsson.

Foligno is meh, we have guys just as good and he isn't worth a 2nd, even retained.

Always amazes me how bad people are willing to make the team to add a bit more physicality.

Reactions: Randy870624

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Question. IF JT wasn’t able to come back for 10 games.... do we gain any cap space? I know it doesn’t accrue. But if he did. I mean. That’s about 1.5 in cap space.

we would have 1.8. That would make up an extra forward or upgrade on back up. For 2-3 games it would be worth it.

Reactions: Randy870624

Randy870624

Oct 27, 2019
ho-sang for petan
I think I'd be willing to add a 2nd or 3rd to the deal if they kept ho sang.
The guy is a mess ... I don't see him helping at all.. I would rather try and sign Grigorenko and see if a couple years in the KHL has helped him any ... Much more upside than ho sang I think

Randy870624

Oct 27, 2019
Question. IF JT wasn’t able to come back for 10 games.... do we gain any cap space? I know it doesn’t accrue. But if he did. I mean. That’s about 1.5 in cap space.

we would have 1.8. That would make up an extra forward or upgrade on back up. For 2-3 games it would be worth it.

Don't worry brother. Matthews will miss his 10 to 15 games soon enough. Hopefully we then have saved enough money for an upgrade at backup!

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Personnel wise I'm pretty happy with this team. I would like a Big, physical 3RD Pair RHD who can hit, fight and put in serious minutes on the PK as well as a reliable backup. A reliable Backup is obviously much more crucial but either would be fine.

On another note who do you guys think stays out of the forwards. Shore, Spezza, Timashov or 2 of them (carrying 13 forwards)

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Personnel wise I'm pretty happy with this team. I would like a Big, physical 3RD Pair RHD who can hit, fight and put in serious minutes on the PK as well as a reliable backup. A reliable Backup is obviously much more crucial but either would be fine.

On another note who do you guys think stays out of the forwards. Shore, Spezza, Timashov or 2 of them (carrying 13 forwards)
Timashov stays, Shore and Spezza go, Petan sent down with Gravel and we carry 7D.

I guess the earliest Hyman and Dermott can come off the IR is Saturdays game so I imagine we see movement after Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad