Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Yes Nylander has a ton of potential and is actually doing well but I think he needs to be traded to get what we need.
To Columbus for Anderson and Savard is the best bet.
Anaheim for Ritchie and Manson would be the best option but doubt that happens.

We need to trade Barrie as well, he’s not going to resign here and he’s not fitting in anyway. Think we can get something decent since his cap is only 2.75 I believe.

The Jets need dmen badly, I think Barrie for Lowry would work. It gives us a big strong defensive centre for third line and Kerfoot can be used as a winger.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Enroth was only given 6 games before getting axed for Bibeau.

Today was game 6 for Hutch. He has yet to start a game where he has a .SVV over .900. Has yet to win a game.

It's time to use Kaskisuo.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Enroth was only given 6 games before getting axed for Bibeau.

Today was game 6 for Hutch. He has yet to start a game where he has a .SVV over .900. Has yet to win a game.

It's time to use Kaskisuo.

You can give Kaskisuo a shot but I doubt he is the answer unless the D plays better on the second game of a B2B.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Maybe Pick Comrie off waivers??? He hasn't proved a thing at the NHL level, but can't be much worse than what we have now.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
There's that, but also I don't think they can guess again on the back up. I think they need someone fairly proven.

I think you look any option, which includes Kaskisuo, and give them a shot. Worst case he sucks and we are in the same spot. Best case we have a goalie making 675k this year who is a capable backup and is an RFA next year, so we should be able to lock him up reasonably for at least one more year after this one.

Kaskisuo is an immediate option until something better turns up. At this point we have nothing to lose.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You can give Kaskisuo a shot but I doubt he is the answer unless the D plays better on the second game of a B2B.

As bad as the team was, even Sparks was able to win 50% of the time last year... And he faced far worse efforts than the Leafs have been giving this year. Hutch has played 5 games and still winless.

This may be presumptive, but I think even Sparks or Kaskisuo could have gone at least 2-2-1 against the 5 teams Hutch played against. That's not an amazing record, but it's 4 extra points, some of which may have been taken away from BOS, WSH or MTL. Let's say we could have won today and against MTL in regulation, plus lost against WSH in OT for example. We'd have 26 points in 19 games (one more than BOS but in 2 extra games) and would be up on MTL by 7 points with two extra games played.

Not a big difference, but we are not sweating nearly as much.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Maybe Pick Comrie off waivers??? He hasn't proved a thing at the NHL level, but can't be much worse than what we have now.

Also a reasonable option, but WPG may claim him back and give him a shot over Brossoit. Brossoit has been worse than Hutch this year. WPG also needs minors depth so they'd be willing to waive Brossoit and use him down there. If they don't think Comrie is ready and don't claim him, Leafs can give him a shot (assuming he makes it to us) and we can waive/trade Hutch.

Another option would be to trade Petan to ARI for Comrie before he hits waivers and then just waive & trade Hutch. Like I said WPG needs an extra goalie, and I am sure there are some others who need AHL depth for cheap. We could also target Adin Hill in ARI as well, or any number of buried options elsewhere.

However not many look better than Kaskisuo would be at this point. They are either just as unproven (i.e. Hill, Comrie, Werner, Dansk), or were proven but have had a rotten season thus far (not much unlike Hutch). This includes DeSmith, Brossoit, Domingue, Forsberg, Stalock, Blackwood, etc.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
he's the third goalie in Arizona so I can't imagine they will keep 3 for long, especially with the way the other two are playing in Raanta and Kuemper.

I would definitely take a shot.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Also a reasonable option, but WPG may claim him back and give him a shot over Brossoit. Brossoit has been worse than Hutch this year. WPG also needs minors depth so they'd be willing to waive Brossoit and use him down there. If they don't think Comrie is ready and don't claim him, Leafs can give him a shot (assuming he makes it to us) and we can waive/trade Hutch.

Another option would be to trade Petan to ARI for Comrie before he hits waivers and then just waive & trade Hutch. Like I said WPG needs an extra goalie, and I am sure there are some others who need AHL depth for cheap. We could also target Adin Hill in ARI as well, or any number of buried options elsewhere.

However not many look better than Kaskisuo would be at this point. They are either just as unproven (i.e. Hill, Comrie, Werner, Dansk), or were proven but have had a rotten season thus far (not much unlike Hutch). This includes DeSmith, Brossoit, Domingue, Forsberg, Stalock, Blackwood, etc.

Which is a pretty decent cautionary tale about how spending between 1-2 million on someone who was a good backup last year isn't a sure thing. Kind of like Pen pitchers in baseball. Consistent NHL backups aren't all that common. Winnipeg had one that was .925 in 21 games last year so they signed him for 1.225. That's only 175k over the bury-able amount so it's not a total killer but people talk like you just throw a little money/cap at the issue and it's fixed. As bad as a backup situation we're in an actual worse case scenario would have been spending 1.5 million+ on a backup, having him be just as bad as Hutch and now we've got 450k+ in dead space when we cut bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad