Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Timashov stays, Shore and Spezza go, Petan sent down with Gravel and we carry 7D.

I guess the earliest Hyman and Dermott can come off the IR is Saturdays game so I imagine we see movement after Tuesday.

See i would say Timashov would stay, but then again I think Babs wants a righty who can take draws on the 4th line/Penalty Kill.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
See i would say Timashov would stay, but then again I think Babs wants a righty who can take draws on the 4th line/Penalty Kill.
He makes Hyman that guy. Had him take PK faceoffs against Bergeron on the PK while Tavares, Matthews, Gauthier sat on the bench. While I hate that option and would prefer to keep a right shot C around, I don't think we can afford a 13th forward and Timashov has played well enough that you can't risk losing him on waivers.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I am going to assume Spezza is waived and on paper goes to the Marlies but likely stays with the team and just practices with the group. The only other thing I see happening is a trade.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Zach Hyman? He doesn't even need to come straight off.

Gauthier was 53.7% in the dot last year without having a Spezza/Shore to help him out... He will be fine without them. You do not keep those guys in the lineup at the expense of someone like Timashov, who just turned 23 and has been noticeable every time he's stepped out on the ice...

I mean the guy is defensively responsible, has a 19% OZS% and gets less than 10 minutes a night but he's still on pace for 32 points this year... All at ES.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I am going to assume Spezza is waived and on paper goes to the Marlies but likely stays with the team and just practices with the group. The only other thing I see happening is a trade.

Petan likely gets moved, but it won't make much of a difference overall since he can just be sent down without waivers anyways.

I think we can hope for something similar to a Jack Rodewald deal in structure, but with a better return... And I think we can expect for it to happen relatively soon. Dropping a contract would be nice.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Petan likely gets moved, but it won't make much of a difference overall since he can just be sent down without waivers anyways.

I think we can hope for something similar to a Jack Rodewald deal in structure, but with a better return... And I think we can expect for it to happen relatively soon. Dropping a contract would be nice.

Do we acquire more 7ths? I heard this year was a deep draft :)

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
To the Sens

Only if he wants to go there, and we'd get nothing more than a conditional 7th based on games in return I would guess. I think he would be fine going to Ottawa based on history and knowing that he's get playing time there more than likely. They said they were looking for more bargain bin forward trades.

I would even take Chris Wilkie back ;)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Do we acquire more 7ths? I heard this year was a deep draft :)

I am still holding out hope that we could swing a trade like getting Adin Hill from Arizona for Petan, and then trade Hutch to Winnipeg after he clears waivers.

Throw in a small Spezza trade, Leafs can get a Hill, a 5th and a 7th in exchange for Petan, Hutch, Spezza, a 6th and taking MacArthur. Not bad overall.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Only if he wants to go there, and we'd get nothing more than a conditional 7th based on games in return I would guess. I think he would be fine going to Ottawa based on history and knowing that he's get playing time there more than likely. They said they were looking for more bargain bin forward trades.

I would even take Chris Wilkie back ;)

Likely future considerations. Saves Melnyk from having to pay the waiver claim fee :laugh:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Likely future considerations. Saves Melnyk from having to pay the waiver claim fee :laugh:

IDK that would be disrespectful to Spezza.

Maybe we can do something like Spezza and one of our 6th's (conditional on it being the worst of the three) for MacArthur and TBL's 5th this year or something.

We are already going to be heavy into LTIR anyways; this saves Ottawa 200k in real dollars and a guy who can actually play in exchange for 1 round at the end of the draft.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Sens look like they could find room to play Spezza for a farewell season.

How about Ceci, Spezza and Bracco for Hainsey (retained 50%)?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Nah, they are going to want to keep Hainsey for vet leadership and Ceci has been good for us.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I think optically it looks bad if they take Ceci back...or it looks bad for us if we package more assets to get Ottawa to take Ceci back.

Basically you're looking at Anaheim or Winnipeg to maybe fit something with Ceci.

Ceci out and snagging Pysyk from Florida might help.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think optically it looks bad if they take Ceci back...or it looks bad for us if we package more assets to get Ottawa to take Ceci back.

Basically you're looking at Anaheim or Winnipeg to maybe fit something with Ceci.

Anaheim just picked up Gudbranson. Manson is hurt but I don't think they are going to make a trade to replace him.

Winnipeg maybe. I explored Pysyk being a replacement for cheap, but the only issue is the guy likely can't replace what Ceci has been doing. He's being used a lot more than expected.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

There's hidden value in that deal giving the Leafs $3M to work with in other ways. But yes, it's tough to believe Ceci would be going back to Ottawa and/or Ottawa taking on more money.

I'm trying to make a point that I take Hainsey back over Ceci.

Would Pysyk be available? Would Florida deal with the Leafs? I'll grant this: sourcing right side defenders is a tough task.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Anaheim just picked up Gudbranson. Manson is hurt but I don't think they are going to make a trade to replace him.

Winnipeg maybe. I explored Pysyk being a replacement for cheap, but the only issue is the guy likely can't replace what Ceci has been doing. He's being used a lot more than expected.

I honestly think a guy like Pysyk is a better fit for Rielly. Pysyk is what Hainsey is, stability and knows he's defense first. Ceci makes stupid pinches etc which isn't what you want in a Rielly partner.

There's hidden value in that deal giving the Leafs $3M to work with in other ways. But yes, it's tough to believe Ceci would be going back to Ottawa and/or Ottawa taking on more money.

I'm trying to make a point that I take Hainsey back over Ceci.

Would Pysyk be available? Would Florida deal with the Leafs? I'll grant this: sourcing right side defenders is a tough task.

Pysyk is available. They have Ekblad-Stralman-Weegar on the right side, Pysyk is too expensive for them on the 3rd pairing but if Ceci was out, and we brought Pysyk in, we save enough money to have some healthy spares on the roster.

I have a feeling they aren't thinking about the 7th round when they say that, having a couple of extra darts for the board never hurts though

I'd chance the Russian / NCAA guys at those picks, just get a huge development window with them. I remember really wanting Gavrikov...if someone is a long shot to come over....comes over then it really helps.

Reactions: JustAShadow

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Question. IF JT wasn’t able to come back for 10 games.... do we gain any cap space? I know it doesn’t accrue. But if he did. I mean. That’s about 1.5 in cap space.

we would have 1.8. That would make up an extra forward or upgrade on back up. For 2-3 games it would be worth it.

We'd only get the cap space for the games he was out. So if he were to miss 10 games and that overlapped with Hyman coming back forf 2 or 3 games we'd be able to continue to roster 23 players until Tavares came back but then we'd be back in the exact same position when Tavares came back, there's no post-recovery benefit to LTIR.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
We'd only get the cap space for the games he was out. So if he were to miss 10 games and that overlapped with Hyman coming back forf 2 or 3 games we'd be able to continue to roster 23 players until Tavares came back but then we'd be back in the exact same position when Tavares came back, there's no post-recovery benefit to LTIR.

but if he misses 10 games. That’s 1.5 million in space. Hyman coming back early wouldn’t add up to that.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
but if he misses 10 games. That’s 1.5 million in space. Hyman coming back early wouldn’t add up to that.

No, LTIR doesn't accumulate. If he misses 10 games that's 11 million in space for the duration that he's out, and then we're right back to square 1.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No, LTIR doesn't accumulate. If he misses 10 games that's 11 million in space for the duration that he's out, and then we're right back to square 1.

even though we had moved it all up so that we got max relief? Hmmmm that’s not great then.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd chance the Russian / NCAA guys at those picks, just get a huge development window with them. I remember really wanting Gavrikov...if someone is a long shot to come over....comes over then it really helps.

Wouldn't hold my breath on too many non-transfer league guys this year. Swiss crop is non-existent because Knak and Delemont went to the CHL, and Russia has 15 guys on my draft board but I'd surprised if more than 1 of them slips to one of our 6ths or 7ths at this point.

At this point, it's looking like Sweden and D+1/D+2 NCAA/USHL type guys with a few Finns and first year NCAA-bound guys. Plus CHL because they dominate up and down this draft, which is why it's being declared deep.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I honestly think a guy like Pysyk is a better fit for Rielly. Pysyk is what Hainsey is, stability and knows he's defense first. Ceci makes stupid pinches etc which isn't what you want in a Rielly partner.

Pysyk is available. They have Ekblad-Stralman-Weegar on the right side, Pysyk is too expensive for them on the 3rd pairing but if Ceci was out, and we brought Pysyk in, we save enough money to have some healthy spares on the roster.

I'd like to see us make more use of the NCAA route, I doubt players wouldn't want to play for us even if they are Americans so guys walking in UFA doesn't worry me much and it's a good development path, we seem to do pretty well with Swedes and I wouldn't mind looking at Finns as well in that area of the draft

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad