Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
ho-sang for petan

Really not a fan of Ho-Sang. Has bust all over him. Don't really want him near the organization either. We already have enough entitled brats to deal with, and he's among the worst of them all.

We also don't really have a need for him or any kind of forward in the AHL right now. Big part of the reason we are moving Petan in the first place.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Petan Can be good, too bad that Leafs can’t use him. Maybe a team that needs scoring will trade a late round pick for him.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Really not a fan of Ho-Sang. Has bust all over him. Don't really want him near the organization either. We already have enough entitled brats to deal with, and he's among the worst of them all.

We also don't really have a need for him or any kind of forward in the AHL right now. Big part of the reason we are moving Petan in the first place.

If Ho-Sang has finally seen the light and says he is willing to do whatever it takes, why not flip Petan for him? Petan has no future here so what do you have to lose ??

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If Ho-Sang has finally seen the light and says he is willing to do whatever it takes, why not flip Petan for him? Petan has no future here so what do you have to lose ??

Ho-Sang bringing bad habits and attitude into the locker room?

Maybe it won't be a problem with the Marlies, but what about if/when he makes the Leafs? We already have far too many big egos in there, and Ho-Sang would have the largest of them all.

As a pure reclamation project I have no issues with him or his style of play. I mean he'd need a total miracle makeover in his game to even have the slightest chance of making the NHL as anything more than a AAAA player, but the upside-to-cost ratio is worth it. I just don't think we have the right group of players or coaches at the NHL level to make Ho-Sang successful, and it is far more likely that his bad habits rub off on them than the other way around.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If moving Petan is due to cap/roster constraints, whose spot would Ho-Sang take? He is on a two-way contract, but I'd think he'd be looking to get back to the NHL sooner than later.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If moving Petan is due to cap/roster constraints, whose spot would Ho-Sang take? He is on a two-way contract, but I'd think he'd be looking to get back to the NHL sooner than later.

He says he is willing to play in the AHL if given a new opportunity... That's where he would be here anyways. We have a number of better RW options right now. Heck, I'd rather have Petan in an NHL spot right now before Ho-Sang. He at least kind of works hard, even if he's not very effective. Ho-Sang doesn't work hard unless it's handed to him.

Reactions: Buds17

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Petan has been a pretty good player for us and is more fitted for a 3rd line role or even a 2nd line role with the right players and even a PP2 option. Teams usually controlling the play when he's on the ice and when him and Speeza were playing on our 4th line that line was in the o zone more than it was defending so I think a team out there will take a shot with him.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Let me throw around my own proposal:

:leafs
RD Troy Stecher (1.15 mill retention, which is almost 50%)
LW Tim Schaller

1.175 + 1.9 mill = 3.075 mill in.

:nucks
RW Kasperi Kapanen
RD Justin Holl

3.2 + .675 = 3.875 mill out.

Now I propose this as someone who is not a big fan of smaller defensemen. Stecher fits Dubas' profile and has played some tougher minutes before. He is being miscast in the bottom pairing role Vancouver is using him in right now. I would hope this would allow the Leafs to spread the defensive wealth between three pairings once Dermott comes back. Plus he's a pending RFA who the Leafs could bring back as a top 4 RD option next year. I do think Kapanen is a more valuable asset, but to get the retention, the Leafs also take on Schaller's last year. He can provide a bit of grit on our 4th line this year. Holl is a contract throw in who might get a chance to play in Vancouver, depending on how they want to use Juolevi (Stecher's potential replacement).

I think it works well for both teams both fit and value-wise, even though I'd prefer someone larger and more physical than Stecher. Also, Moore gets to be in the top 9 full time, even when Hyman returns. Small bonus.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Moore
Schaller-Gauthier-Timashov
Spezza

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Stecher
Marincin

Andersen-Hutch

We would have 300k extra with this lineup, so we can afford to keep Spezza in the NHL full time.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I might try that but if he really was interested in turning it around he could just do it in the Islanders' organization. There's room on their NHL roster for an upgrade on the 3rd/4th lines.

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No, he's not

Not even at 50% retention?

I originally had a pick attached but I figured the retention would be quite valuable. That allows the Leafs to ice an expanded roster, or afford a better backup (including Domingue and DeSmith).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I originally had a pick attached but I figured the retention would be quite valuable. That allows the Leafs to ice an expanded roster, or afford a better backup (including Domingue and DeSmith).

He's a bottom pairing defender

I've been really enjoying Kapanen with Kerfoot as well and wouldn't trade him unless there's a genuine defensive or offensive upgrade available

I want to see Dermott given an opportunity before we start moving young cost controlled players

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I've been really enjoying Kapanen with Kerfoot as well and wouldn't trade him unless there's a genuine defensive or offensive upgrade available

I want to see Dermott given an opportunity before we start moving young cost controlled players

He was technically a top 4 RD last year, but it was in Vancouver. Admittedly did decent, but I would use him as a bottom pairing guy this year. Maybe next year he can be a decent #4 option

It's a move that can be put on the backburners for now. I don't even think Vancouver wants to jump to trading Stecher right away either. If it happens, it'll likely be in like December or January. By then, the deal may make more sense.

Plus the Leafs can always negotiate an additional pick from their side. I value Kapanen more than Stecher, but with the retention, I figured it would even out a little bit more (kind of like the Kadri-Barrie deal).

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

Stetcher +2nd for kap & a roster filler that Vancouver could use would be closer imo. His contract expires end of this season so the retention isn’t as much of an advantage as it would be if he had term.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I might try that but if he really was interested in turning it around he could just do it in the Islanders' organization. There's room on their NHL roster for an upgrade on the 3rd/4th lines.

Agreed but he may have run out of lives with the Isles or just needs a change of scenery.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I kind of like Stetcher, but they're not going to pair him with Rielly so there's not much point. That's the position that should be looked at. Depth wise, if Holl keeps playing well, we're alright.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Yeah, it's tough when the value in a trade isn't immediately obvious by looking at point totals. Having said that, If I'm throwing a contract back at Vancouver, it would be Marincin, not Holl.

I was thinking something along the lines of Kapanen or Johnsson for Scott Mayfield and ??

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Petan for a late pick and call it a day
I'd like to see a soft trade

Petan, Schmalz, Marincin to Dallas for Martin Hanzal (LTIR), Rights to Julius Honka, Jason Robertson.

Dallas has $815 worth of cap space right now with a 20 man roster, and get 3 players they can plug into the lineup right now. Dallas can't afford to use the LTIR room for Hanzal as they have Heiskanen racking up ELC bonuses. It gives them breathing room the rest of the season.

For the Leafs, another $4,75 million to LTIR is nothing, and they get the rights to a potential top 4 RD next year, along with a solid LW prospect with waiver eligibility for taking on the LTIR. This is basically buying futures. And reuniting the Robertson brothers.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He was technically a top 4 RD last year, but it was in Vancouver. Admittedly did decent, but I would use him as a bottom pairing guy this year. Maybe next year he can be a decent #4 option

It's a move that can be put on the backburners for now. I don't even think Vancouver wants to jump to trading Stecher right away either. If it happens, it'll likely be in like December or January. By then, the deal may make more sense.

Plus the Leafs can always negotiate an additional pick from their side. I value Kapanen more than Stecher, but with the retention, I figured it would even out a little bit more (kind of like the Kadri-Barrie deal).

I don't know about you but I've really liked Holl's game and I wouldn't be keen on sitting him to play a guy in his position we had to trade Kapanen for, because I don't think Stecher can play with Rielly

I kind of like Stetcher, but they're not going to pair him with Rielly so there's not much point. That's the position that should be looked at. Depth wise, if Holl keeps playing well, we're alright.

Pretty much my thinking :thumbu:

Petan for a late pick and call it a day

I'd love another 7th rounder, I'm hoping if we collect enough we may get a decorative cup or a set of steak knives as well :laugh:

Reactions: geo25

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't know about you but I've really liked Holl's game and I wouldn't be keen on sitting him to play a guy in his position we had to trade Kapanen for, because I don't think Stecher can play with Rielly

I'd have Stecher with Dermott taking away minutes from Barrie and Ceci. Neither should be playing 22 minutes a night right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->