Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'm also a fan of a hockey trade, moving Barrie, signed or not, for a defense with some more grit. Obviously the trade would have to include more pieces and would take another team in the right situation, but dubas is a smart guy.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm sure he could handle going from 14 to 17 minutes.

Asking 20 of him is clearly pushing it and you have to play Sandin/Liljegren if you bring them up.

17 minutes is still not top 4 minutes though.

And it also has to be accompanied with an increase in QoC, which is a whole other beast.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Gonna suggest something a little crazy.

Think there is any chance to trade for Fabbro in the off-season?

I think it would obviously start with Liljegren so they can get a young RHD back but what else would we be adding?

Something like Johnsson and Liljegren for Fabbro and Jarnkrok?

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nylander
Timashov
Barrie

for

Manson
Ritchie
Comtois

I'm now kinda not against trading nylander even though I'd still give him more time hes been ok.

I would like a move for Ritchie though on a cheap and if it's possible thats when I add something to johnson to get a good rhd (pesce, pk prob cheap, hamonic) so it would all start with a ritchie deal for me to move johnson.

Reactions: Menzinger

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm also a fan of a hockey trade, moving Barrie, signed or not, for a defense with some more grit. Obviously the trade would have to include more pieces and would take another team in the right situation, but dubas is a smart guy.

I would like Barrie moved for the best return and then look at adding the grittier replacement in a second transaction. The clubs that would have the most interest in Barrie will tend to be contenders so they will probably be more interested in dealing picks or prospects than a roster player. A building club would be more interested in those picks and prospects with no worry about depleting themselves for the playoff. It honestly wouldn't take much of an add to be more effective than than he has been in the first 17 games. Its a no risk deal that may also solve their current cap squeeze.

I doubt they would be able to get that unicorn RD as expansion exempt so the guy they add will likely turn out be a two year rental at best. Still a win for the club.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Gonna suggest something a little crazy.

Think there is any chance to trade for Fabbro in the off-season?

I think it would obviously start with Liljegren so they can get a young RHD back but what else would we be adding?

Something like Johnsson and Liljegren for Fabbro and Jarnkrok?
I had suggested targeting Fabbro a few years ago after his first year in the NCAA.

Had the Leafs traded some of their UFA's, I bet we could have had him for JVR when the Preds were really loading up. Would have been nice in hindsight.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Something around Barrie & Ceci for Tanev Stetcher and Virtanen. Add pieces on either side as needed.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I still dont get the desire to trade Barrie while his value is low....

Hes a well established player whose been in a bit of a funk. Smarter play is to hold onto him.and wait for him to sort his game out

Well, I guess it comes down to whether or not you believe he will turn it around in Toronto...

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

Hes a well established player whose been in a bit of a funk. Smarter play is to hold onto him.and wait for him to sort his game out

Agreed.

Barrie is too skilled and talented not to turn it around.

But this fan base consistently calls for players heads when they under perform.

With that said, the Leafs are paying Barrie just $2.75m

If you hold him to that salary standard he has been more than competent in that salary slot.

I personally don’t see any moves to be made right now.

The only potential move to come is seeing Kappy or AJ moved out for another cost controlled defender towards the end of the season when a specific Marlies winger is ready for a promotion.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Well typically players get moved when their out of contract or out of form. For Barrie, he fits both right now. Most people know what he is though and his value shouldn't be effected by it too much right now.

He's not the first I'd move, but if they're not re-signing him then moving before the deadline should be an option.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well typically players get moved when their out of contract or out of form. For Barrie, he fits both right now. Most people know what he is though and his value shouldn't be effected by it too much right now.

He's not the first I'd move, but if they're not re-signing him then moving before the deadline should be an option.

Hes a player they just traded for, and for whom they have no real in house replacement, not to mention the guy just had a 60 point season the year prior..

Imo the best thing for the team.is for him to get to back playing how hes capable of doing.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Even though I think Rielly is a better PP QB it wouldn't be a bad idea to put Barrie on the top unit for awhile to get him going and gain a bit of confidence

It's not like our PP is going particularly well anyway

Reactions: The Big D

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Will he? He may not here. But given it's been only 15 ish games his value is not low anyway. No real need to wait.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Even though I think Rielly is a better PP QB it wouldn't be a bad idea to put Barrie on the top unit for awhile to get him going and gain a bit of confidence

His point shot, while not a traditional booming blast, is heavy and has a way of getting through. Bringing that weapon to our PP1 unit might not be the worst idea in the world. Morgan also gives pp2 another weapon that creates a different look.

Reactions: Kiwi

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Hes a player they just traded for, and for whom they have no real in house replacement, not to mention the guy just had a 60 point season the year prior..

Imo the best thing for the team.is for him to get to back playing how hes capable of doing.

Sure, but for what he's brought this far, Liljegren probably isn't far off supplying similar. He likely isn't going 50+ points unless he gets on top PP unit some how like he was in Colorado. If he does though, re-signing becomes potentially more difficult.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Nope, I'd keep Rielly there though.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Honestly i'd stick with the same group for at least until January. It seems like theyre coming together a bit more. Look to improve at Back up though for sure

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nope, I'd keep Rielly there though.

Rielly is playing way to much for my liking, he also doesn't seem fit either, if you can trim some minutes from him and get Barrie going at the same time while trying to fix the broken PP it makes sense to give it a try

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Rielly has been hot trash on the PP. No one wants to see his weak ass wrist shots from the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad