Trades and Free Agent Talk - To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The longer Barrie goes without meshing the more I wonder if moving him instead of Kap/AJ is the answer.

Unconventional but maybe a 3 way trade between us , another contender, and a seller with the seller providing us a cheaper more defensively oriented 4/5 in exchange for a portion of our futures from Barrie. Will try to look for specific fits later

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Historically there hasn't been much of a difference in terms of value from about the mid-2nd round to the 7th and the chances of getting an NHL player. The more hats you have in the ring the better.

Not having a 1st two years in a row kind of sucks but if it ends up 25th or later then its not a huge deal.

Depends on what you mean (definition) by not much of a difference.

A mid 2nd round pick has about a 6.7 to 10.0 percent chance of being a top 6 F or top 4D.

Picks in the 6th & 7th round have about 1.9 - 4.4 percent chance of being a top 6 F or top 4D.

Agree on the "more chances the better" concept of course though.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Depends on what you mean (definition) by not much of a difference.

A mid 2nd round pick has about a 6.7 to 10.0 percent chance of being a top 6 F or top 4D.

Picks in the 6th & 7th round have about 1.9 - 4.4 percent chance of being a top 6 F or top 4D.

Agree on the "more chances the better" concept of course though.
Yea the early to mid 2nd round still has a much higher percentage than later picks, I forget exactly where the curve starts to even out, but by these two it looks to be around pick 50.

Screenshot_20191108-140515_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191108-140501_Drive.jpg

The first one is just to play an NHL game, the 2nd is to make it to 200 games I believe.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The longer Barrie goes without meshing the more I wonder if moving him instead of Kap/AJ is the answer.

Unconventional but maybe a 3 way trade between us , another contender, and a seller with the seller providing us a cheaper more defensively oriented 4/5 in exchange for a portion of our futures from Barrie. Will try to look for specific fits later

I've thought of it, maybe if they can re-coup a 1st back.

I'm fine with more minutes for Holl, but Dermott or Liljegren (if ready) would need to step up/in if Barrie goes.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I've thought of it, maybe if they can re-coup a 1st back.

I'm fine with more minutes for Holl, but Dermott or Liljegren (if ready) would need to step up/in if Barrie goes.

That's where the 4/5 D from the seller would come in. Go from
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie

to

Muzzin-Ceci
Rielly-xxx

while picking up a couple hundred k in cap space and some futures on the margin

One xxx example I can think of is Pateryn in Minnie

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If you use the 100 game criteria, its:

• 34% for a mid 2nd round
  • 15% or less for a 6th/7th round

Info is from Statistically Speaking: NHL Draft Pick Value.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie

to

Muzzin-Ceci
Rielly-xxx

I'd probably only move him to promote someone i.e. Liljegren, I'd look to move Ceci first, but given the likelihood of re-signing Barrie, it's an idea.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie

to

Muzzin-Ceci
Rielly-xxx

That would make some sense, if Barrie isn't on the 1st PP unit we're not going to get the best out of him and we desperately need somebody that can help the 2nd pair pick up some slack from Rielly and Ceci

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Doubt Dubas admits he made a mistake so early and given Barrie is a UFA and making 2,5 he wont return much. I would rather make a big splash and include him in a package with Nylander. So who needs a PP QB and a soft highly skilled C ??

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Doubt Dubas admits he made a mistake so early and given Barrie is a UFA and making 2,5 he wont return much. I would rather make a big splash and include him in a package with Nylander. So who needs a PP QB and a soft highly skilled C ??

Single best trade comparable for Barrie alone would be Shattenkirk who returned a 1st and a solid NHL ready B level prospect.

Also, given that the trade wasn't even his 1st choice on the day it was made I would hardly call it "admitting he made a mistake". That's projecting a fair bit

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Single best trade comparable for Barrie alone would be Shattenkirk who returned a 1st and a solid NHL ready B level prospect

Good comparison but I don't think Barrie is playing as well as Shats was. Then again, you could get at least a 1st at the TDL if Leafs don't feel he is less than a good rental.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

maybe the ducks would be interested in flipping manson for barrie?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
maybe the ducks would be interested in flipping manson for barrie?

They don't think that their management would be willing to go high enough to re-sign him, so it becomes a rental to a bottom team.

Pateryn is a guy I hope we look at. Fits the bill perfectly. Steady physical RHD, can handle top 4 usage, can pk, 500k cheaper and signed next year

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would imagine the odds of a Barrie trade are close to zero. Maybe at the tdl ifnthey can do a 1 for 1 seap otherwise dont see the incentive to do so.

Ive long speculated they may try and flip Ceci though from the moment they trafed for him. With that said i think hes been okay given his usage

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I keep wondering if we could possibly work something out with the Blues for Petro in a UFA for UFA deal. Their left side is ugly with Dunn followed by an aging Bouwmeester and Gunnerson. Dubas has a good relationship with Armstrong as well which could help.

Would something around Barrie+Muzzin for Petro work? with the conditional picks going either way based on them re-signing or not? I would also consider adding a forward or two from the Marlies to help them with the Steen and Tarasenko injuries.

I would also move Ceci for whatever to open up some cap space.

Our D:
Rielly-Pietrangelo -25-26 minutes per game.
Dermott-Holl 17-18 minutes a game
Sandin-Liljegren 17-18 minutes a game

Blues D:
Dunn-Parayko
Muzzin-Faulk
Bouwmeester-Barrie

I think both defenses get what they need.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I keep wondering if we could possibly work something out with the Blues for Petro in a UFA for UFA deal. Their left side is ugly with Dunn followed by an aging Bouwmeester and Gunnerson. Dubas has a good relationship with Armstrong as well which could help.

Would something around Barrie+Muzzin for Petro work? with the conditional picks going either way based on them re-signing or not? I would also consider adding a forward or two from the Marlies to help them with the Steen and Tarasenko injuries.

I would also move Ceci for whatever to open up some cap space.

Our D:
Rielly-Pietrangelo -25-26 minutes per game.
Dermott-Holl 17-18 minutes a game
Sandin-Liljegren 17-18 minutes a game

Blues D:
Dunn-Parayko
Muzzin-Faulk
Bouwmeester-Barrie

I think both defenses get what they need.

I think the Blues would rather keep Petro for a playoff run

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think the Blues would rather keep Petro for a playoff run

Basically off-season will be telling...

Pietrangelo has either walked (if he does....SIGN HIM!!!)....or Parayko likely becomes available for trade because Pietrangelo has re-signed....in which case you try to acquire him.

I really hope they try to fix the team defensively and how soft they are...this is probably the least engaged I have ever been as a fan. I mean I will look stupid later this year if they manage to go on a playoff run but I don't see a scenario where this team does anything in the post-season. I just think their play style and the way the team has been constructed as something that might do well in the Olympics or a shinny tourney but has zero chance in the post-season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think likely he's been good enough for that going back to last season, he just didn't get to play.

He got screwed last season, sitting for long periods then getting a game and being benched again straight afterwards must be tough

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He got screwed last season, sitting for long periods then getting a game and being benched again straight afterwards must be tough

Babcock has a hand in the European recruitment and possibly his biggest ally in the organization is Paliafito, who is the main guy there. So Ozhiganov was going to get a lot more rope then Holl.

Reactions: Kiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad